The Anabaptist perception on the following of blogs, vlogs, podcasts and more!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: The Anabaptist perception on the following of blogs, vlogs, podcasts and more!

Post by barnhart »

I'm a sucker for history podcasts. Also some science podcasts as well.
0 x
Bootstrap

Re: The Anabaptist perception on the following of blogs, vlogs, podcasts and more!

Post by Bootstrap »

barnhart wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:14 pm I'm a sucker for history podcasts. Also some science podcasts as well.
Which ones do you like?

Have you listened to The Rest is History, with Tom Holland?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: I’ve listened to a few on CloudVeil, like anabaptist perspectives, the Strength To Strength/Strength To Strength Women, The Campfire, and a bunch of children’s stories/audio stories as well as a sermon sharing chat. I also found one that I like on Audible called martyrs and missionaries, although I don’t agree with everything they promote. It is really interesting though, and the Moravian one was fascinating, especially because I didn’t know all the weird stuff about them/zinzendorf. I was listening a little to this Jewish children’s story podcast on audible, which was very strange, indeed, and mildly entertaining to me and informative. It’s kind of mystical sometimes though, so I don’t really listen to it much anymore. I often like listening to some things while doing house work, although mostly it’s audiobooks/stories.

As far as I know, our current church has no stance on it, and our previous one might have frowned on it, or it might have been a gray area. I can definitely see how it would influence someone’s way of thinking, and I don’t know that, it is too different from the radio, and some of the audio stories a lot of people like, including lamplighter and your story hour, are also played on radio stations. I think the benefit is that you can stream/choose what’s on, where you can not on the radio stations I at least grew up with. The children don’t really listen to any of the podcasts, unless I find it especially interesting/applicable for them, and I listen to any audio stories before I like them.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Grace

Post by Grace »

One of my favorite podcasts is Elizabeth Elliot's podcasts, usually while I am sewing, cleaning etc. or doing other mindless work. I have a love hate relationship with watching Lynette Yoder and Megan Fox vlogs. Depending the topic I will watch, but for the most part their promotion of Mennonite culture, while drinking their designer coffees and showing off their beautifully decorated homes, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:21 pm
barnhart wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:14 pm I'm a sucker for history podcasts. Also some science podcasts as well.
Which ones do you like?

Have you listened to The Rest is History, with Tom Holland?
Fall of civilizations
Empire
The rest is history
Cautionary tales

Holland is the best of them all. I first read his book, then went looking for him online. Dan Carlin is info packed but doesn't hold my attention after 30 minutes.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Grace wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:35 am One of my favorite podcasts is Elizabeth Elliot's podcasts, usually while I am sewing, cleaning etc. or doing other mindless work. I have a love hate relationship with watching Lynette Yoder and Megan Fox vlogs. Depending the topic I will watch, but for the most part their promotion of Mennonite culture, while drinking their designer coffees and showing off their beautifully decorated homes, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
It’s pretty much the opposite of simplicity, modesty, and humility - they also should be more upfront that they’re doing it to get lots of views and make money off of that.
0 x