Gospel

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Gospel

Post by Bootstrap »

NedFlanders wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:39 am Teaching like this bothers me because it’s like people forget that Christ is the chief cornerstone and build a new foundation instead of building on Christ. We should believe and know Christ and understand Paul through Him - then we don’t have misunderstandings like your link that disregard Christs teachings.

If you follow scripture and Christs words it is clear that the word gospel relates to a gospel involving the kingdom of God something much deeper than just personal salvation. To then redefine a word later in scripture to mean something different is blasphemous to me. It’s wild misunderstandings like this is why JohnHurt doesn’t like Paul - because so many people have butchered his words and made understandings that contradict Christ…
Amen.

One year, I read the Gospel of John 5 through five times, then turned the page to Romans 1, and I was suddenly reading a very different book from what I had remembered.
2 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Nomad
Affiliation: Alien

Post by Nomad »

The question is now: what was the Good news of the Kingdom spoken of as being near by John, Jesus Christ and His disciples? The message was stated before the death and resurrection which I believe is also a part of the Gospel but would have been excluded in the early call of the Good news in the Gospels. I believe in order to understand what is meant by this good news of the Kingdom we need to see what was spoken and prophesied of the Kingdom in the Old Testament:

Numbers 24:5-7
[5]How goodly are thy tents, O Jacob, and thy tabernacles, O Israel!
[6]As the valleys are they spread forth, as gardens by the river's side, as the trees of lign aloes which the LORD hath planted, and as cedar trees beside the waters.
[7]He shall pour the water out of his buckets, and his seed shall be in many waters, and his king shall be higher than Agag, and his kingdom shall be exalted.

Psalms 22:26-31
[26]The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
[27]All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
[28]For the kingdom is the LORD'S: and he is the governor among the nations.
[29]All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.
[30]A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.
[31]They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

Psalms 45:6
[6]Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre.

Isaiah 9:6-7
[6]For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
[7]Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Daniel 2:35,41-45
[35]Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth.
[41]And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters' clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, forasmuch as thou sawest the iron mixed with miry clay.
[42]And as the toes of the feet were part of iron, and part of clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong, and partly broken.
[43]And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay.
[44]And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.
[45]Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.

Daniel 7:13-14
[13]I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
[14]And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

Obadiah 1:21
[21]And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the LORD'S.

Micah 4:1-8
[1]But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it.
[2]And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
[3]And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
[4]But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it.
[5]For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever.
[6]In that day, saith the LORD, will I assemble her that halteth, and I will gather her that is driven out, and her that I have afflicted;
[7]And I will make her that halted a remnant, and her that was cast far off a strong nation: and the LORD shall reign over them in mount Zion from henceforth, even for ever.
[8]And thou, O tower of the flock, the strong hold of the daughter of Zion, unto thee shall it come, even the first dominion; the kingdom shall come to the daughter of Jerusalem.

There are many more passages of King and Kingdom in the OT...

When John comes on the scene he is preaching the same message as what the prophets (Repent!) were but with a nearer expectation as the Kingdom message of the Messiahs coming to earth drew near. Thus the Kingdom message today is attached to the Lords return and I believe that we should be teaching a similar message to what John said...Repent, for the King is going to return and establish His Kingdom. The King has come and He has gone to the right hand of the Father as prophesied (Ps 110:1-2, Heb 10:12-13) after offering salvation to sin and death with a promise of His Holy Spirit to establish His citizens. And a promise of His return in which all that was prophesied in OT and NT will be fulfilled!

My opinion is that the present aspect of the Kingdom today that we experience is our citizenship by baptism of the Holy Spirit (John 3:3-8). John 3 states that by the new birth of the Holy Spirit we can enter the Kingdom, I see our entrance as now but the fulness of the Kingdom as future upon our Kings return...we have an connection to the King presently as He communicates and guides us as His citizens here on earth by His Spirit and we will one day experience the fulness of His Kingdom when He returns.

The Gospel of the Kingdom is very broad and covers a lot of topics including: Earth, Reigning, Citizenship, Ambassadorship, Gentiles, Israel, Death, Resurrection of Jesus, Resurrection of saints, Salvation by Jesus, Kingship of Jesus, The Covenants (Abraham, Mosaic, Davidic, Land, New), the Messiahs 1st and 2nd advents, etc...Its a very deep and broad subject that includes many subjects...The Gospel and the Kingdom could probably cover many topics and shouldn't be narrowed to just 1 aspect.
1 x
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Paul tells us these things are spiritual. The Old needs to be seen as a foretelling of Christ and His kingdom. Christ told us what the gospel is.

You have a point but consider that the save me gospel has the purpose of saving me.
While the gospel of the kingdom saves me it also gives purpose and life.

In the Lord’s Prayer Christ prays for God’s kingdom to come - for God’s will to be done. - So one simple single aspect of what Christ tells about the kingdom is that it is where God’s will is done. The incomplete save me gospel on the other hand doesn’t call me into a place to seek out His will (as far as it has ever been introduced to me) and therefore the gospel of the kingdom isn’t one aspect but a completeness of the gospel.

Even Paul preached the Gospel of the kingdom of God:
Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
Acts 20:25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.
And:
Acts 28:30 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him,
Acts 28:31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.
But it would seem that by Paul’s letters he didn’t see such a need to keep repeating something so firmly established by Jesus and the 12 Disciples in the gospels and Acts - and that the book of Acts also said that Paul consistently and firmly did. To assume that Christ and the 12 can be disregarded by Paul’s writing in redefining what the gospel is - is one of the strangest things in professing Christianity to me.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

And we see in Galatians 1 that Paul points back to Christs Gospel:
Galatians 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
Galatians 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
Galatians 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
So the book of Acts states Paul preached the kingdom of God, which we learned from Jesus and His disciples is the gospel and now we have here Paul use strong language for changing the gospel…

Does anyone really think it is a good idea to change the gospel from what Jesus said it is in Scripture?!!!

Paul uses condemning words those that do as far as I understand it….
1 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I thought that link I gave was interesting as to how some understand the Gospel preached prior to the cross was not the Gospel that Paul and others preached after the resurrection and it is that Gospel we should be preaching today. They even go so far as saying the Gospel Peter preached when 3,000 souls were saved lacked the preaching about the cross as good news. This struck me a bit weird especially when it stated that 3,000 souls were saved that day.

I agree Jesus preached the Gospel of the Kingdom and He made it clear to Nicodemus in John 3 that entrance into this Kingdom was only by being born again. One can say then that in John 3:16 that Jesus preached a salvation Gospel. A Gospel that saves us from perishing and one that gives us eternal life.

What I think is being challenged is that a 'save me' type gospel that seems to be a 'quick ticket to heaven' and has no born again affect now on the sinner is not an entrance into the Kingdom and I agree. However, I also think some of Jesus teachings about Kingdom life need study for proper understanding and application.

For instance, when Jesus told the rich young ruler, who wanted to know how to attain eternal life, to sell all he had and come follow Him, this was not a directive for all of His followers today to literally do likewise but rather, I believe, to give up the idol he had of his wealth and follow Jesus. We, too, are not to let any idol stand in our way of following Him.

But just as a 'save me gospel' is not the NT Gospel, neither is the Gospel one of good deeds and self righteous living but lacking a born again, new birth.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

This is why I asked to quote Scripture. So we could point to what the Scripture says the Gospel is. It is quite clear very few people have ever studied into it themselves by taking a look into Scripture with a clean mind emptied of all these different ideas floating around. Coming from an unchurched background talking to Christian’s who don’t know there Bible or what Christ even said is the gospel - is probably one of the hardest things to be around. I’d rather talk to other unchurched people that don’t have these false ideas so planted in their minds about what is in Scripture.
Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mark 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Being saved here is a result of believing the gospel. And some works came along with it. And Christ preached the gospel of the kingdom.
1 x
Nomad
Affiliation: Alien

Post by Nomad »

My concern today within Christianity, is how we use the term "Kingdom". Yes, I agree, we should seek the Lords will as believers and the principles set forth by Jesus on the Sermon on the Mount is meant for our instruction today and we should follow them. However, Jesus also showed that God is concerned with the hearts of an individual and not just the action. If we are not living a life of adultery outside, and yet, we are thinking of adultery inside...then God sees this and in His righteousness deems us adulterous inspite of not acting physically upon the adultery. Same with the "nonresistance" principle...if I don't retaliate and abstain from hurting someone in return (physically or with words). But, inside I think evil of the individual who wronged me...then in God's righteousness I am not being "nonresistant". If we are honest with ourselves, we must admit we often fail in these principles set forth by Jesus in Matthew ch.5-7 in some way or another. James 2:10 states if we complete the entirety of the Law but fail in 1 point...we haven't just failed in that 1 point but in the entirety of the Law. So if I turn the other cheek 1 day and then give money to the poor the next...yet when I go to mall the next day and I find my eye straying toward some beautiful women, thus committing adultery in my heart; I haven't just broken the teaching applied by Jesus pertaining to adultery...but according to James, I also broke the principal of nonresistance and charity of which I previously kept. I've broken the entire "Kingdom Constitution" of Matthew ch 5-7 and am proven to be unrighteous. This tells me we are all in a dire place. We are needy and our need can only be fulfilled by Jesus Christ and His saving grace. I think this was another principle Jesus set forth in the sermon on the mount on top of the instructions He desires we keep. We must come to a place where we see that we need Him.

But Jesus doesn't just promise to save us in righteousness then leave us to our own devices...He will help us. He promises to purify us in holiness...He is the one who sanctifies and washes us clean, giving us the ability to fellowship with Him in Spirit. This is our help as He unshackles us from our chains of sin we battle with in our flesh and the bondage it brings with it. This sin places a wall between fellowshiping with God and with our fellow Christians. If I think I can go on sinning and also claim I'm saved as I sin + believe I can maintain fellowship with God...then I would say I'm self deceived. But, in contrast, if I'm also stating that my righteous deeds save me or that I can accomplish the removal of the shackles of sin by my own self reliance and grit...then I'm a liar and thus claiming I can perform my way into salvation without Him. This is not about a "save me" Gospel....its about recognizing that I need Jesus to save me and I need Him to help me walk in truth in order to obtain true fellowship with Him.

What I was referring to on the Kingdom is, often times its implied the Kingdom is solely pertaining to a spiritual Kingdom within us. I'm not sure thats the message Jesus was conveying in Luke 17:20-21. He 1st tells them the Kingdom doesn't come with observations (paratērēsis: inspection or outward evidence). Thus, it can't be said that the observable actions (works or fruit) we commit as Christians ARE the manifestation of the Kingdom. He then follows by stating that when the Son of Man comes, it will be fast like lightning. I believe He is connecting His Kingdom with His return...thus His Kingdom is synonymous with Him rather than with us. Or, Jesus the ruler and His Kingdom go hand in hand and cannot be separated. I say this because I've heard it stated "WE must expand the Kingdom..." or "WE are spreading the Kingdom...". One has to wonder if we really are the ones building the Kingdom...or does Christ build the Kingdom? Or perhaps we build it by our works that He is credited with? I prefer to view it as, HE builds His Kingdom and HE establishes His citizens...not us. And the Gospel of the Kingdom is more about Him and His choice to establish His citizens via His Spirit. We are His tools and citizens following His commands but ultimately He is the one who decides whom He deems worthy of His Kingdom and whom will enter His Kingdom upon His return. The reason I feel a stirring for this topic is so often it was presented in my younger years as a Kingdom that was left up to me to establish. This is a lot of pressure on a young Christians life. I also never found anywhere in the Bible where it states the Kingdom morphed into a spiritual Kingdom in contrast to the presentation in the Old Testament. To me this is a supersessionist view of the New Testament at the cost of removing the Old Testament promises...the 2 Testaments of the Bible should stay united rather than reinterpreted into 2 opposing sections. My biggest issue with "Anabaptist Kingdom Now" theology, isn't the desire to live as citizens for the Kingdom, but its seeming attempt to detach the Kingdom message from the way it was presented in the Old Testament by spiritualizing it away...we should be able to read its presentation in the Old Testament and see truth rather than a view that will be later explained in the New Testament to mean something different.

This leads to the 2nd point I get out of that passage (Lk 17:20-21). Jesus is addressing Pharisees who are testing Him by demanding He tell them when the Kingdom should come. He responds that the Kingdom is not observed but is rather "in their midst" (entos: within or among you). My belief is that He was telling them that the Kingdom...which is inseparable from the King...is right in front of them but they were unwilling to accept Him as Messiah. This makes sense to me since the Pharisees were obviously unbelievers and unwilling to accept Him as King, thus it doesn't seem like He would say the Kingdom was within them in a spiritual sense, like some Christians interpret it, because they were openly rejecting Him. If it is a spiritual Kingdom He is referring to here...why would it be within some unbelieving Pharisees whom He is addressing here? It brings me back to the previous point that the Kingdom Gospel is attached to Jesus as King. So when we pray "Thy Kingdom come..." we aren't just praying that we spiritually manifest the Kingdom by our works as His citizens...but we are praying also, for His actual physical return as King. In essence, we are waiting for Him just as He commanded we should when He left.

Sorry, this is a ridiculously long post...
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Nomad wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:26 am My concern today within Christianity, is how we use the term "Kingdom". Yes, I agree, we should seek the Lords will as believers and the principles set forth by Jesus on the Sermon on the Mount is meant for our instruction today and we should follow them. However, Jesus also showed that God is concerned with the hearts of an individual and not just the action. If we are not living a life of adultery outside, and yet, we are thinking of adultery inside...then God sees this and in His righteousness deems us adulterous inspite of not acting physically upon the adultery. Same with the "nonresistance" principle...if I don't retaliate and abstain from hurting someone in return (physically or with words). But, inside I think evil of the individual who wronged me...then in God's righteousness I am not being "nonresistant". If we are honest with ourselves, we must admit we often fail in these principles set forth by Jesus in Matthew ch.5-7 in some way or another. James 2:10 states if we complete the entirety of the Law but fail in 1 point...we haven't just failed in that 1 point but in the entirety of the Law. So if I turn the other cheek 1 day and then give money to the poor the next...yet when I go to mall the next day and I find my eye straying toward some beautiful women, thus committing adultery in my heart; I haven't just broken the teaching applied by Jesus pertaining to adultery...but according to James, I also broke the principal of nonresistance and charity of which I previously kept. I've broken the entire "Kingdom Constitution" of Matthew ch 5-7 and am proven to be unrighteous. This tells me we are all in a dire place. We are needy and our need can only be fulfilled by Jesus Christ and His saving grace. I think this was another principle Jesus set forth in the sermon on the mount on top of the instructions He desires we keep. We must come to a place where we see that we need Him.

But Jesus doesn't just promise to save us in righteousness then leave us to our own devices...He will help us. He promises to purify us in holiness...He is the one who sanctifies and washes us clean, giving us the ability to fellowship with Him in Spirit. This is our help as He unshackles us from our chains of sin we battle with in our flesh and the bondage it brings with it. This sin places a wall between fellowshiping with God and with our fellow Christians. If I think I can go on sinning and also claim I'm saved as I sin + believe I can maintain fellowship with God...then I would say I'm self deceived. But, in contrast, if I'm also stating that my righteous deeds save me or that I can accomplish the removal of the shackles of sin by my own self reliance and grit...then I'm a liar and thus claiming I can perform my way into salvation without Him. This is not about a "save me" Gospel....its about recognizing that I need Jesus to save me and I need Him to help me walk in truth in order to obtain true fellowship with Him.

What I was referring to on the Kingdom is, often times its implied the Kingdom is solely pertaining to a spiritual Kingdom within us. I'm not sure thats the message Jesus was conveying in Luke 17:20-21. He 1st tells them the Kingdom doesn't come with observations (paratērēsis: inspection or outward evidence). Thus, it can't be said that the observable actions (works or fruit) we commit as Christians ARE the manifestation of the Kingdom. He then follows by stating that when the Son of Man comes, it will be fast like lightning. I believe He is connecting His Kingdom with His return...thus His Kingdom is synonymous with Him rather than with us. Or, Jesus the ruler and His Kingdom go hand in hand and cannot be separated. I say this because I've heard it stated "WE must expand the Kingdom..." or "WE are spreading the Kingdom...". One has to wonder if we really are the ones building the Kingdom...or does Christ build the Kingdom? Or perhaps we build it by our works that He is credited with? I prefer to view it as, HE builds His Kingdom and HE establishes His citizens...not us. And the Gospel of the Kingdom is more about Him and His choice to establish His citizens via His Spirit. We are His tools and citizens following His commands but ultimately He is the one who decides whom He deems worthy of His Kingdom and whom will enter His Kingdom upon His return. The reason I feel a stirring for this topic is so often it was presented in my younger years as a Kingdom that was left up to me to establish. This is a lot of pressure on a young Christians life. I also never found anywhere in the Bible where it states the Kingdom morphed into a spiritual Kingdom in contrast to the presentation in the Old Testament. To me this is a supersessionist view of the New Testament at the cost of removing the Old Testament promises...the 2 Testaments of the Bible should stay united rather than reinterpreted into 2 opposing sections. My biggest issue with "Anabaptist Kingdom Now" theology, isn't the desire to live as citizens for the Kingdom, but its seeming attempt to detach the Kingdom message from the way it was presented in the Old Testament by spiritualizing it away...we should be able to read its presentation in the Old Testament and see truth rather than a view that will be later explained in the New Testament to mean something different.

This leads to the 2nd point I get out of that passage (Lk 17:20-21). Jesus is addressing Pharisees who are testing Him by demanding He tell them when the Kingdom should come. He responds that the Kingdom is not observed but is rather "in their midst" (entos: within or among you). My belief is that He was telling them that the Kingdom...which is inseparable from the King...is right in front of them but they were unwilling to accept Him as Messiah. This makes sense to me since the Pharisees were obviously unbelievers and unwilling to accept Him as King, thus it doesn't seem like He would say the Kingdom was within them in a spiritual sense, like some Christians interpret it, because they were openly rejecting Him. If it is a spiritual Kingdom He is referring to here...why would it be within some unbelieving Pharisees whom He is addressing here? It brings me back to the previous point that the Kingdom Gospel is attached to Jesus as King. So when we pray "Thy Kingdom come..." we aren't just praying that we spiritually manifest the Kingdom by our works as His citizens...but we are praying also, for His actual physical return as King. In essence, we are waiting for Him just as He commanded we should when He left.

Sorry, this is a ridiculously long post...
No problem, I enjoyed reading it and imo, many good points you make, especially your first paragraph. We do need Jesus to save us and to impower us to follow Him via the Holy Spirit. We cannot do either on our own by our own strength.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

Thanks for that Nomad.

I think it’s good to temper our thoughts on how the Old and New, as well as what the kingdom of God does in our lives now rather than waiting for its full coming with this verse:
Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
And also notice the present tense:
Colossians 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
These are just a few verses that lead me to the place that I don’t think the New Testament authors would have agreed with you that what the Old Testament kingdom used to be was supposed to not change.

Also remember John 3 in Christ talking about being born again is about seeing and entering the kingdom - with that is the mention of the Homy Spirit in a way that no one sees it come and go.

Maybe you’ve been taught a kingdom of God that was much about works?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Nomad wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:52 pm The question is now: what was the Good news of the Kingdom spoken of as being near by John, Jesus Christ and His disciples? The message was stated before the death and resurrection which I believe is also a part of the Gospel but would have been excluded in the early call of the Good news in the Gospels. I believe in order to understand what is meant by this good news of the Kingdom we need to see what was spoken and prophesied of the Kingdom in the Old Testament
I think we can take it all the way back to Eden.

God created Adam and Eve and placed them in a garden of abundance. They were in direct communication with him, serving him, doing his will. They were called to be fruitful, multiply, and fill the earth, together in harmonious love.

In Genesis 2:15, there's some very interesting hidden meaning in a Hebrew word:
15 And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
The word "to dress it", is this word:

https://biblehub.com/hebrew/5647.htm

Adam's role is to be God's servant, caring for the garden. Eve becomes his helpmate in that. Serving on God's behalf to care for ... together ... as his servants ... with God's blessing and authority and power and presence.

The same word also means "worship", and it is used with respect to the Jewish temple. Serving on God's behalf to care for and worship are related. And all of this is intimately connected to what the Kingdom of God is. God is the King. We are his servants. We serve by loving God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength. We serve by loving our neighbors as ourselves. We serve together in worship and in love.
2 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?