Gospel

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Nomad
Affiliation: Alien

Re: Gospel

Post by Nomad »

NedFlanders wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:56 pm Thanks for that Nomad.

I think it’s good to temper our thoughts on how the Old and New, as well as what the kingdom of God does in our lives now rather than waiting for its full coming with this verse:
Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
And also notice the present tense:
Colossians 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
These are just a few verses that lead me to the place that I don’t think the New Testament authors would have agreed with you that what the Old Testament kingdom used to be was supposed to not change.

Also remember John 3 in Christ talking about being born again is about seeing and entering the kingdom - with that is the mention of the Homy Spirit in a way that no one sees it come and go.

Maybe you’ve been taught a kingdom of God that was much about works?
I appreciate your perspective and I want to clarify that I dont disagree there is a very obvious fact the Kingdom has a present day aspect to a Christian. In otherwards, I dont think the Kingdom topic is ONLY future. My point is what both Ro 14:17 and John 3 are stating. The Kingdom we receive today is "...in the Holy Ghost" not in myself. Or as John says it in chapter 3 we enter the Kingdom by the new birth which is baptism by the Holy Spirit. What I'm advocating for is the recognition that the Kingdom aspect we have in the flesh is only through our connection to the Lord via the Holy Spirit. This indwelling of the Spirit is the mechanism that moves us from the Kingdom of darkness to the Kingdom of light. The Spirit is what preserves us for the Kingdom thats to come in its fulness upon our Lords return...
2 Timothy 4:18
[18]And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. (2Tim 4:1 attaches the Kingdom to the Lords appearing also. Which is a reference to His coming again I believe).

What I'm advocating for isn't the removal of the fruit that a believer is to be producing in the Christian walk. That is one of our purposes for sure. What I'm advocating for is that we stress the being grounded in the root who supplies the nutrients for the fruit we produce...rather than just stressing the fruit produced. In the same manner I believe that's how we should view the Kingdom. The way we are grounded in His Kingdom is by His Holy Spirit which is our sole link to our King...not by the amount of fruit I'm producing. To me, this removes any boasting we might lean on in our own flesh as being the production of what drives the Kingdom. What drives the Kingdom is the King...not me or the performance of the church in this age. My main issue is when the Kingdom is presented in a way where its dependent on ME to expand the Kingdom. I'm not saying everyone believes that way or teaches that way...I've just heard it in hints through some of the Kingdom teachings I've listened to through the years.

I personally can't bring myself to believe that the Kingdom is now just a spiritual type that is detached from the Old Testament presentation. Why would God do that? Why would He present it in such a visual, physical and spiritual way...only to say that its transformed into a Kingdom in our hearts? Yes in a sense its in our hearts from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit who connects us to Jesus. but the culmination of the Kingdom will be when our King returns. As wonderful as some Christians are...it would be a let down if what we see from ourselves or the Church around us as the fulfillment of the Kingdom.

I am more than willing to admit that my view could possibly be tainted from my previous experiences. I suppose for someone who didn't grow up in my setting...they probably have a completely different perspective...and probably rightfully so.
Last edited by Nomad on Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Nomad
Affiliation: Alien

Post by Nomad »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:10 pm
Nomad wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:52 pm The question is now: what was the Good news of the Kingdom spoken of as being near by John, Jesus Christ and His disciples? The message was stated before the death and resurrection which I believe is also a part of the Gospel but would have been excluded in the early call of the Good news in the Gospels. I believe in order to understand what is meant by this good news of the Kingdom we need to see what was spoken and prophesied of the Kingdom in the Old Testament
I think we can take it all the way back to Eden.

God created Adam and Eve and placed them in a garden of abundance. They were in direct communication with him, serving him, doing his will. They were called to be fruitful, multiply, and fill the earth, together in harmonious love.

In Genesis 2:15, there's some very interesting hidden meaning in a Hebrew word:
15 And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
The word "to dress it", is this word:

https://biblehub.com/hebrew/5647.htm

Adam's role is to be God's servant, caring for the garden. Eve becomes his helpmate in that. Serving on God's behalf to care for ... together ... as his servants ... with God's blessing and authority and power and presence.

The same word also means "worship", and it is used with respect to the Jewish temple. Serving on God's behalf to care for and worship are related. And all of this is intimately connected to what the Kingdom of God is. God is the King. We are his servants. We serve by loving God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength. We serve by loving our neighbors as ourselves. We serve together in worship and in love.
I agree with this completely. Thank you.
1 x
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:10 pm
Nomad wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:52 pm The question is now: what was the Good news of the Kingdom spoken of as being near by John, Jesus Christ and His disciples? The message was stated before the death and resurrection which I believe is also a part of the Gospel but would have been excluded in the early call of the Good news in the Gospels. I believe in order to understand what is meant by this good news of the Kingdom we need to see what was spoken and prophesied of the Kingdom in the Old Testament
I think we can take it all the way back to Eden.

God created Adam and Eve and placed them in a garden of abundance. They were in direct communication with him, serving him, doing his will. They were called to be fruitful, multiply, and fill the earth, together in harmonious love.

In Genesis 2:15, there's some very interesting hidden meaning in a Hebrew word:
15 And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
The word "to dress it", is this word:

https://biblehub.com/hebrew/5647.htm

Adam's role is to be God's servant, caring for the garden. Eve becomes his helpmate in that. Serving on God's behalf to care for ... together ... as his servants ... with God's blessing and authority and power and presence.

The same word also means "worship", and it is used with respect to the Jewish temple. Serving on God's behalf to care for and worship are related. And all of this is intimately connected to what the Kingdom of God is. God is the King. We are his servants. We serve by loving God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength. We serve by loving our neighbors as ourselves. We serve together in worship and in love.
This is what is beautiful about the good news of the kingdom of God - that gospel spans the entire Bible!
3 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

NedFlanders wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:56 pm And also notice the present tense:
Colossians 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
This confused me. "Hath delivered" and "hath translated" don't seem to be present tense. What am I missing?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:56 pm
NedFlanders wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:56 pm And also notice the present tense:
This confused me. "Hath delivered" and "hath translated" don't seem to be present tense. What am I missing?
Sorry, past. Thanks for picking up on that. Point being it isn’t some future kingdom that we experience none of it now.
1 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.