Passing of Joseph Stoll

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Passing of Joseph Stoll

Post by RZehr »

JayP wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:29 am Do not get your point Solo. I asked a question. I do not think the word “plain” has any real meaning to a Catholic the way the word has important e to a Mennonite, Quaker, or say OOA PERSON.

I am fine with anyone calling themselves what they want. On the other hand calling yourself something inapplicable seems confusing. I can call myself Japanese but if I am not?

SO I just asked. The individual chooses to post this identity. I do not say he is wrong to.
But Ido not understand its meaning so I asked. Isn’t that the civil way to do that?
Surely there is a civil way to do that. Years ago this question of "what is a Plain Catholic" and its subsequent follow-ups, were, umm..."civilly" ;) debated at length and detail on this forum. Or maybe that was on the previous MennoDiscuss forum.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Soloist wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:43 am
JayP wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:29 am Do not get your point Solo. I asked a question. I do not think the word “plain” has any real meaning to a Catholic the way the word has important e to a Mennonite, Quaker, or say OOA PERSON.

I am fine with anyone calling themselves what they want. On the other hand calling yourself something inapplicable seems confusing. I can call myself Japanese but if I am not?

SO I just asked. The individual chooses to post this identity. I do not say he is wrong to.
But Ido not understand its meaning so I asked. Isn’t that the civil way to do that?
This is a fairly old point of discussion… likely someone else can summarize it better then me.
The only proof ever provided was a website with pictures on it stolen from Amish, Mennonite sources.
No Catholics I’ve ever spoken to have heard of such a group, the group exists only in Max and is unarguable without proof past this website.
As Soloist says, the existence of "plain catholics" has been debated numerous times, although much of the initial discussion was on the now-defunct predecessor site, MennoDiscuss. While many of the questions asked have not been answered to the complete satisfaction of the interlocutors, here is one thread that might be worth perusing to review what has been covered previously:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=815
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

My new Family Life came with a nice section on Joseph Stoll. Truly a remarkable man who influenced a lot of people. The Pathway Readers are a monument to him.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

JayP wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:14 am Max, I mean this question sincerely albeit it with;a smile.

What is a plain Catholic?

Keeping in mind I have several unique qualifications, having been at a point in my life both a true Anabaptist (which some of my Old Order friends used to teasingingly say they were only Anabaptists by name…I got a real re-baptizing), truly was plain (I still have an old plain suit In my closet), although I attend Latin Mass these days. I say all that truthfully but with a wry smile.
JayP, I did not see this before, my apologies.
Succinctly put, Plain Catholics live a simple, rural life on farms and homesteads. We are families who trace our charism to the Catholic Back to the Land Movement that emerged in Great Britain 100 years ago. My family was one of the initial group to embrace it. Since that time other Catholic families from around the world likewise embrace this plain and simple approach to life. It is only a couple hundred families. Back to the topic of the thread.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:25 am
JayP wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:14 am Max, I mean this question sincerely albeit it with;a smile.

Keeping in mind I have several unique qualifications, having been at a point in my life both a true Anabaptist (which some of my Old Order friends used to teasingingly say they were only Anabaptists by name…I got a real re-baptizing), truly was plain (I still have an old plain suit In my closet), although I attend Latin Mass these days. I say all that truthfully but with a wry smile.
Succinctly put, Plain Catholics live a simple, rural life on farms and homesteads. We are families who trace our charism to the Catholic Back to the Land Movement that emerged in Great Britain 100 years ago. My family was one of the initial group to embrace it. Since that time other Catholic families from around the world likewise embrace this plain and simple approach to life. It is only a couple hundred families. Back to the topic of the thread.
A number of Catholics I respect highly have asked about "plain Catholics" and where they might find some, as they have so far only found 1 website about them. I would like to repeat that there is some interest, particularly in some contact information I could provide. These are upstanding families I respect highly, plus one person who inquired is an excellent priest & monk.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:53 am
MaxPC wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:25 am

A number of Catholics I respect highly have asked about "plain Catholics" and where they might find some, as they have so far only found 1 website about them. I would like to repeat that there is some interest, particularly in some contact information I could provide. These are upstanding families I respect highly, plus one person who inquired is an excellent priest & monk.
Yes, we’ve encountered some queries through the website I am told. As PCs do not live in communities, and the fact our numbers are few, we are not easy to find. I would hazard that because our female family members wear longer dresses and head coverings, we are often mistaken for Brethren/Anabaptists/Hutterites. Some of the families are affiliated with monasteries for spiritual direction. Some just attend the local small rural parish. We don’t gather together as PCs at all. We are independent that way in our charism I suppose. It affords flexibility for ethnic differences and culture. The son of a relative put together the website on commonly held values and aspects of PC living. It has served as a main reference for those who seek a similar charism of life. Cardinal Keeler (RIP) was a good friend of the PC families and supported our charism.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

So, Max, I have a priest/monk (alongside his bishop) who are interested in learning more about you folks and making contact. Any interest?
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:38 pm So, Max, I have a priest/monk (alongside his bishop) who are interested in learning more about you folks and making contact. Any interest?
PM'd you.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)