Passing of Joseph Stoll

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Passing of Joseph Stoll

Post by JayP »

I just realized I have seen noth8ng about the passing of Joseph Stoll, the founder as I understand it, of Pathway Publishers

I have always considered their publications, both books and magazines, to be the best in the entire Anabaptist community.
Both spiritual and practical, and influenced by the best of the Old Order Amish IMHO.
I still read their three magazine set regularly

I think his sons will carry on the work in the same manner, and as I think Joseph was like 87 or so, the sons have obviously been doing a lot of the work for some time

I cannot say how wonderful their writing has been. I remember how some conservative Mennonites would not read Pathway, as though only their own materials could possibly be of value. Pshaw! I think my all time favorite serial, later printed in book form, was Jemmima’s Secret Dream. Enjoyable fiction with so much truth in it.

I am sure he would prefer it in High German but given where I worship these days….

Joseph Stoll..Requiescant in Pace.
0 x
danfreed
Affiliation: MtValleyMenno/Faith

Re: Passing of Joseph Stoll

Post by danfreed »

Hi JayP,

Do you have a link to Joseph Stoll's obituary?

Author Jerry Eicher, has written a fascinating biography of the his Amish childhood
which opens with a description of "Uncle Joe" in Honduras, an Amish settlement
that lasted from 1968-1978.
I think that Eicher's "Uncle Joe" is the same Joseph Stoll that you are describing.

https://www.harvesthousepublishers.com/ ... 0736950060

I highly recommend Eicher's book, for an inside look into an unusual Amish community
interested in spreading their faith outside North America.

On the subject of Pathway Publishers, I'm thankful that I had opportunity to read the "Pathway Readers"
in the 1970s in grade school.
0 x
My spiritual perspectives are Jesus-centered, evangelical anabaptist, New Testament Bible based...
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I hadn’t known anything until I saw it mentioned today in the Young Companion. The Editor’s Notes say:
It wouldn’t seem right for anything to appear in this column this month other than news of Dad’s passing. Many of you may have heard one way or another that your longtime editor, Joseph Stoll, died on October 19. Although you didn’t see his initials in Young Companion so much lately, he was part of the editor team right up to his death.

True, writing was no longer as easy for Dad in the last few months. What came so naturally for him for so many years was eluding him. As his body grew weaker, it became more and more difficult for him to capture and hold what he wanted to express. But the longing to help was still there, and he kept trying. In the evening before his death he tried to tell my brother what he felt someone still needed to write. He seemed to realize his time was near and he would not be able to do it.

At 6:30 the next morning just after being helped back into bed, he was suddenly gone. We had known it was coming and we are thankful for the many years we were granted with him. But when he was actually gone, it was so final. He was no longer here.

“So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Watch ye therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come” (Matthew 24:33,34)

-C.S.
In Memory of Joseph Stoll

Born on December 1, 1935 at Montgomery, Indiana to Peter and Anna (Wagler) Stoll

Entered matrimony on April 4, 1957 with Laura Gascho

Died October 19, 2023 at his home in Aylmer, Ontario

Reached the age of 87 years, 10 months, 19 days

Funeral service held October 22

Leaves to mourn his departure: His wife of 66 years, 5 sons and 6 daughters (and spouses), 89 grandchildren, 129 great-grandchildren, 1 foster son, 3 brothers, 3 sisters, and many, many friends.
Last edited by RZehr on Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
danfreed
Affiliation: MtValleyMenno/Faith

Post by danfreed »

Some more history about Pathway Pubishers, by John Roth in Anabaptist World ....

https://anabaptistworld.org/simple-sophisticated/

"In the summer of 1963, David Wagler and Joseph Stoll, two Amish farmers, were threshing oats in a field close to Aylmer, Ont. They reflected on the need for more literature that spoke to the interests and concerns of their Old Order community. So in January 1964, the two men joined with Jacob Eicher to establish Pathway Publishers. Now, 50 years later, Pathway has become one of the most successful publishing houses in the Anabaptist-Mennonite world.

In its early years, Pathway focused on developing readers for use in Amish grade schools. Pathway continues to sell thousands of copies of its readers — along with a host of other titles — not only to the Amish, but to a growing number of homeschool associations and others interested in a plain lifestyle."
0 x
My spiritual perspectives are Jesus-centered, evangelical anabaptist, New Testament Bible based...
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Requiescat in pace. :pray
Whenever we were able to procure any of Pathways Publishing books, we enjoyed them. We offer prayers for Mr. Stoll’s family as well.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JayP

Post by JayP »

Max, I mean this question sincerely albeit it with;a smile.

What is a plain Catholic?

Keeping in mind I have several unique qualifications, having been at a point in my life both a true Anabaptist (which some of my Old Order friends used to teasingingly say they were only Anabaptists by name…I got a real re-baptizing), truly was plain (I still have an old plain suit In my closet), although I attend Latin Mass these days. I say all that truthfully but with a wry smile.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

JayP wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:14 am Max, I mean this question sincerely albeit it with;a smile.

What is a plain Catholic?

Keeping in mind I have several unique qualifications, having been at a point in my life both a true Anabaptist (which some of my Old Order friends used to teasingingly say they were only Anabaptists by name…I got a real re-baptizing), truly was plain (I still have an old plain suit In my closet), although I attend Latin Mass these days. I say all that truthfully but with a wry smile.
Here we go again…
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
JayP

Post by JayP »

Do not get your point Solo. I asked a question. I do not think the word “plain” has any real meaning to a Catholic the way the word has important e to a Mennonite, Quaker, or say OOA PERSON.

I am fine with anyone calling themselves what they want. On the other hand calling yourself something inapplicable seems confusing. I can call myself Japanese but if I am not?

SO I just asked. The individual chooses to post this identity. I do not say he is wrong to.
But Ido not understand its meaning so I asked. Isn’t that the civil way to do that?
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

JayP wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:29 am Do not get your point Solo. I asked a question. I do not think the word “plain” has any real meaning to a Catholic the way the word has important e to a Mennonite, Quaker, or say OOA PERSON.

I am fine with anyone calling themselves what they want. On the other hand calling yourself something inapplicable seems confusing. I can call myself Japanese but if I am not?

SO I just asked. The individual chooses to post this identity. I do not say he is wrong to.
But Ido not understand its meaning so I asked. Isn’t that the civil way to do that?

This is a fairly old point of discussion… likely someone else can summarize it better then me.
The only proof ever provided was a website with pictures on it stolen from Amish, Mennonite sources.
No Catholics I’ve ever spoken to have heard of such a group, the group exists only in Max and is unarguable without proof past this website.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Jeff Altweg
Affiliation: mennonite

Post by Jeff Altweg »

I Know Quite a bit about Joe Stoll , He taught me in 1st Grade ,in the late 1950's ....A Giant of a teacher ,writer ,and thinker ....I wrote him a letter about a year ago,thanking him for always seeming to be so kind and gentle ,in his writings, unlike most of his peers up there in Pathway ,the Publishing house...some of them were pretty bad.....And condeming....
Amish don't take any kind of praise well, in general ,as it might lead to "Holfmut"...(Pride)....I needn't have worried about his reaction , he wrote me a real nice letter back, thanking me for my observations.....
Several of my siblings visited him in July , this past summer, They reported he was still writing ,and thinking clearly, though his eyesight was 90% gone, in Aylmer Ont....The Sept 2023 issues of several Pathway papers had some of his recent writings...
0 x