Can a Christian be a soldier or police, and kill someone, and still be a Christian?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Can a Christian be a soldier or police, and kill someone, and still be a Christian?

Post by RZehr »

If a Christian-
1. Is serving God (a) sincerely and (b) with knowledge of Romans 13
2. Understands Romans 13 to have no conflict with obeying Jesus and living for Him
3. Views himself and his job as “ordained of God” and a “minister of God” (v.1 and v.4)

Is it possible for him to kill someone in the course of his job and not lose his standing before God? Kill a few people over his career? What if he served his whole career and never killed anyone?

On this thread, we shouldn’t stray too far down the idea that “sincere belief” justifies any sin. For example, if a person sincerely believes rape is good, that is different because there is no way a case can be made from the Bible that would justify it. This is in contrast to the language in verse 4, that mentions “bearing the sword”. We also have Jesus telling the disciples to find a couple swords.
No such defense of other sins can be made from the NT like some people do about bearing the sword based on these accounts.

Is it correct, simple belief that saves us? Or is belief important because our beliefs dictate our actions?
For example, it is unlikely that I or anyone hold 100% perfect understanding/views/beliefs about every single thing the Bible talks about. Therefor, must there exist some grace for some wrong understanding of something? Does an incorrect belief or view matter so long as your actions are not negatively affected by it?

Romans 13:1-6
1 ¶ Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
I could go on but I think that is enough from me for now.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Can a Christian be a soldier or police, and kill someone, and still be a Christian?

Post by JimFoxvog »

Yes, a Christian be a soldier or police, and kill someone, and still be a Christian.

I don't think killing someone is ever right, BUT...

I don't think I love God with all my heart, soul, and strength.
I fail to love my neighbor as myself.

We are to try to obey, seeking God's strength and help, but still need to be forgiven.
0 x
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Can a Christian be a soldier or police, and kill someone, and still be a Christian?

Post by ABC 123 »

Stopping a school shooter is not a sin.
1 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:38 pm Yes, a Christian be a soldier or police, and kill someone, and still be a Christian.

We are to try to obey, seeking God's strength and help, but still need to be forgiven.
ABC 123 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:54 pm Stopping a school shooter is not a sin.
Do you make here a distinction between a civilian vs. a policeman shooting a school shooter?
If not, it really is outside the Romans 13 context, which I’d like to remain strictly within - as much as possible.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:38 pm Yes, a Christian be a soldier or police, and kill someone, and still be a Christian.

I agree that a repentance and forgiveness is applicable to killing and theft and failure to love. What happens though, if repentance isn’t done? After all, if you don’t see what you did as wrong, you won’t repent of it.

If we say that an unrepentant person (choose any sin) loses his salvation, regardless of his sincere, wrong belief, is the person who kills another due to his sincere, wrong understanding different? Or isn’t it possible to lose one’s salvation?
0 x
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

No.

A Christian is someone who is born again and Jesus tells us in John 3 that someone who is born again (a Christian) will see and enter into the kingdom of God. If they cannot see that, merely by participating in those professions without killing someone that they are working for an opposing kingdom it is reasonable, albeit with great sadness, to doubt whether they can see the kingdom of God. I wouldn’t be quick to call them not a Christian exactly but it would give great concern to pray for them and encourage them in a closer walk with Christ.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
ABC 123

Post by ABC 123 »

NedFlanders wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:31 am No.

A Christian is someone who is born again and Jesus tells us in John 3 that someone who is born again (a Christian) will see and enter into the kingdom of God. If they cannot see that, merely by participating in those professions without killing someone that they are working for an opposing kingdom it is reasonable, albeit with great sadness, to doubt whether they can see the kingdom of God. I wouldn’t be quick to call them not a Christian exactly but it would give great concern to pray for them and encourage them in a closer walk with Christ.
If your wife or child was being held at gunpoint by a wicked man with evil intent, I take it you would not call 911? You would ask a person to forfeit their soul to save your family member? (Following your reasoning.)
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

If we replace the word "Christian" with "One who obeys Jesus" we arrive at this question, "Can one who obeys Jesus be a soldier or police and kill someone and still be one who obeys Jesus?"

If "being a Christian" does not mean one who's confidence in Jesus compels him to follow and obey, we are creating entirely new definitions foreign to the scripture.
Last edited by barnhart on Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

ABC 123 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:47 am
NedFlanders wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:31 am No.

If your wife or child was being held at gunpoint by a wicked man with evil intent, I take it you would not call 911? You would ask a person to forfeit their soul to save your family member? (Following your reasoning.)
Oddly enough, Scripture answers your questions.
Act 23:16  And when Paul's sister's son heard of their lying in wait, he went and entered into the castle, and told Paul.
Act 23:17  Then Paul called one of the centurions unto him, and said, Bring this young man unto the chief captain: for he hath a certain thing to tell him.
Act 23:18  So he took him, and brought him to the chief captain, and said, Paul the prisoner called me unto him, and prayed me to bring this young man unto thee, who hath something to say unto thee.
Act 23:19  Then the chief captain took him by the hand, and went with him aside privately, and asked him, What is that thou hast to tell me?
Act 23:20  And he said, The Jews have agreed to desire thee that thou wouldest bring down Paul to morrow into the council, as though they would enquire somewhat of him more perfectly.
Act 23:21  But do not thou yield unto them: for there lie in wait for him of them more than forty men, which have bound themselves with an oath, that they will neither eat nor drink till they have killed him: and now are they ready, looking for a promise from thee.
Act 23:22  So the chief captain then let the young man depart, and charged him, See thou tell no man that thou hast shewed these things to me.
This captain is not said to be Christian nor does Paul hesitate to involve them for his own life.
Yet we are told quite plainly
2Co 10:2  But I beseech you, that I may not be bold when I am present with that confidence, wherewith I think to be bold against some, which think of us as if we walked according to the flesh.
2Co 10:3  For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
2Co 10:4  (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
Some walked according to the flesh and were told quite plainly we don’t war like fleshly.
We are given far stronger weapons and those who understand spiritual, know there are greater powers at work then a mere bullet and rifle. Thus addressing the man holding them doesn’t address the powers involved.
Rom 8:36  As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
How much more should we resist those who attack us for our belief then a mere robber yet we are told that instead, we are sacrifice.
I don’t expect you to agree, but Anabaptists aside from the Munster group, do not wage war.

Schleitheim Confession
Finally it will be observed that it is not appropriate for a Christian to serve as a magistrate because of these points: The government magistracy is according to the flesh, but the Christian's is according to the Spirit; their houses and dwelling remain in this world, but the Christian's are in heaven; their citizenship is in this world, but the Christian's citizenship is in heaven; the weapons of their conflict and war are carnal and against the flesh only, but the Christian's weapons are spiritual, against the fortification of the devil. The worldlings are armed with steel and iron, but the Christians are armed with the armor of God, with truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation and the Word of God. In brief, as in the mind of God toward us, so shall the mind of the members of the body of Christ be through Him in all things, that there may be no schism in the body through which it would be destroyed. For every kingdom divided against itself will be destroyed. Now since Christ is as it is written of Him, His members must also be the same, that His body may remain complete and united to its own advancement and upbuilding.
As regards revenge, and opposing the enemy with weapons, we believe and confess that the Lord Christ forbade and set aside for his disciples and followers all revenge and retaliation, and to the contrary commanded them to avenge no one?s evil with evil, or invective with invective, but to put the sword into its sheath, or, as the prophets prophesied, to beat swords into plowshares (Mt. 5:39, 44; Rom. 12:14; 1 Pet. 3:9; Isa. 2:4; [Mic. 4:3; Zech. 9:8-9]).

From this we understand that in order to follow his example, teaching and life, we therefore dare not offend or spite or harm anyone, but much rather should work in appropriate ways for the highest welfare and salvation of all persons; and, if conditions so demand, to flee for the Lord?s sake from one city or country into another-but harming no one, even when suffering the confiscation of property; and when we are beaten, to turn the other cheek, rather than taking revenge or striking back;

And, moreover, that we are to pray for our enemies, and if they are hungry or thirsty, feed and refresh them, in this manner persuading them with kindness, and so, conquering all ignorance (Mt. 5:39; Rom. 12: 19-21; [1 Pet. 2: 15]): For a person mindful of God finds grace, who, for the sake of conscience endures the throes of evil and suffers unjustly;

Finally, that we are to do good, and commend ourselves in a friendly manner to the conscience of every person, and, according to the law of Christ, do nothing to anyone else than what we would want done to ourselves (Mt. 7:12; [2 Cor. 4:21).
Dordrecht confession.

To do otherwise would leave not only the historic Anabaptist belief, but I stand by this, the very word of our Lord Himself.

None of this necessarily answers for those who are ignorant of this truth, but you rejected it.
3 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

A key mistake everyone makes when discussing "Romans 13" is slavishly following chapter/verse designations which were not part of Paul's original letter. In my opinion, Romans 13 should not be discussed apart from Romans 12, let alone divorcing it from the rest of scripture, especially the Gospel of Jesus.

Romans 12: "Do not avenge."
Romans 13: "The state is an avenger."

Simplest calculus in the world: the Christian should remain "under" the state (also Romans 13) and should not participate in the sword-bearing power "with" the state (to be "with", on the same level, is to no longer be "under," subject to). To participate in these means is to become an avenger, which is prohibited in Romans 12 (let alone by Jesus our Lord in Matthew 5).

Even if you read Romans 13 divorced from Romans 12, a careful observation shows that Paul talks to Christians in the second person ("you") and the sword-bearing avengers of the state in the third person ("he, "they" etc.).
Last edited by Praxis+Theodicy on Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x