How satisfied are you in your current occupation?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

1- Not at all.
No votes
2-
No votes
3- Meh. It's okay.
6%
4-
38%
5- Very much satisfied.
56%

Total votes: 16

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Employed, retired, homemaker, independently wealthy, missionary, whatever....

How happy are you in your current employment?

Vote and discuss.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
steve-in-kville

Re: How satisfied are you in your current occupation?

8-)
11-1.jpg
0 x

Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

So typical day? Sounds unsatisfactory
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

"Retired" and living on Social Security, but...

Secretary/Treasurer and chief farmer of a non-profit. Completely volunteer. I do better with the physical work; the administrative details often are hard for me to put effort into. But at the moment, we don't have anyone else who could do these as well, so I try. But that's less than perfect satisfaction.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Satisfied with the actual work of teaching. It can be rewarding.

The bureaucracy, parents, politics, working conditions, and other stuff outside the classroom can get tiresome and that is usually what burns teachers out.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

i like my job.
but working without adequate staffing for over 2 years is very draining.
and there is no end in sight.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

I'm orking in residential homes in suburbs for adults with developmental disabilities. I work per diem, as needed, which I like. I can usually get over 40 hours but if I need time off, I don't have to "request" it and pray I get it. By default, any given day I am "not working" but I can work if I request work and there is work to do (there always is). As a full time employee, it was reversed. By default, each day I had to work, unless I requested time off and that request was granted.
To be honest, the difference between per diem and scheduled shifts is probably more psychological than practical. But it sure helps me. I can be there for my family or dedicate time to do maintenance on the property or something without work being a worry in the back of my head. I can plan ahead to go on a trip with church or to visit a congregation on a trip without feeling like I already took too much time off. By default, my time goes to my family and my church, and I can fill in the gaps with work. Sometimes I have more than 40 hours of gaps, which means I can get paid overtime. Other weeks, I want to prioritize family time or non-employment work, and I feel like I have the freedom to do that.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

I own the business I work in, and I do like it most of the time. But I don't have a lot of choice other than to like it. I could wish for a business that doesn't have as many moving parts, require as much labor, or isn't retail-facing. But I assume all businesses have their stress points. I could look longingly at the job of a friend who does nothing but operate firewood processing equipment on a contract, or another friend who operates a chicken layer house on a contract, or some other secure, work-at-home occupation. Or maybe an equipment dealer who can sell a couple of pieces a week and make a good living.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville

I work for what I feel is a good employer, in a relatively stable industry. It has its downfalls, though. It has Anabaptist roots, and it is on its second or third generation (depending where one starts the clock). To that end, there are several layers of management between myself and the owners and stuff falls through the cracks at times.

For the past few years, I have been laying the groundwork to do some free-lance stuff. Already doing some things on the side, but the end goal is not have to work full time for someone else. Not sure how that will play out just yet, but I've seen the Lord do some amazing things in my own life as well as others who choose a similar path.
0 x

mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:30 am I work for what I feel is a good employer, in a relatively stable industry. It has its downfalls, though. It has Anabaptist roots, and it is on its second or third generation (depending where one starts the clock). To that end, there are several layers of management between myself and the owners and stuff falls through the cracks at times.

For the past few years, I have been laying the groundwork to do some free-lance stuff. Already doing some things on the side, but the end goal is not have to work full time for someone else. Not sure how that will play out just yet, but I've seen the Lord do some amazing things in my own life as well as others who choose a similar path.
One of your company's owners was in my store yesterday, and it wasn't the first time. I appreciate executives that accompany their sales persons once in a while.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3