The Anabaptist perception on self check-outs!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
cooper
Affiliation: LMC

Re: The Anabaptist perception on self check-outs!

Post by cooper »

I think something closer to what Amazon Go uses is the future. You walk out of the store and it bills you Amazon account. The hassle and labor savings from self-checkouts are of marginal benefit.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:04 pmone time I did have reason to stop at a Walmart on the way to a business meeting; I had forgotten something that wasn't essential but might have been convenient, there was a store right on the way, and I had just enough time. Or so I thought. I found the one thing I was looking for, went to the self check out, and it double scanned. There didn't appear to be a way to delete the one that wasn't there (other stores do make that possible IIRC; the weight in the bagging area has to match anyway), the monitor was walking away from the self check out area, no other store personnel were around except staffed checkout lanes which all had lines, and I was out of time. So I left the item there and exited the store.
Why didn't you just leave that self checkout and go to another one?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:55 pm
ohio jones wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:04 pmone time I did have reason to stop at a Walmart on the way to a business meeting; I had forgotten something that wasn't essential but might have been convenient, there was a store right on the way, and I had just enough time. Or so I thought. I found the one thing I was looking for, went to the self check out, and it double scanned. There didn't appear to be a way to delete the one that wasn't there (other stores do make that possible IIRC; the weight in the bagging area has to match anyway), the monitor was walking away from the self check out area, no other store personnel were around except staffed checkout lanes which all had lines, and I was out of time. So I left the item there and exited the store.
If it's like a Wal-Mart I went to, the rest of them were either in use, or were out of order.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:37 pm
If it's like a Wal-Mart I went to, the rest of them were either in use, or were out of order.
I don't know what kind of ghettos some of you people live in. Our rural Walmart has six or eight self-checkouts that work just fine with a monitor keeping an eye on all of them and helping out when needed.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:39 pm I don't know what kind of ghettos some of you people live in. Our rural Walmart has six or eight self-checkouts that work just fine with a monitor keeping an eye on all of them and helping out when needed.
Some of us live in a "diverse" area.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I probably didn't think of it; don't really recall if there might have been another one available. But that would have left the one I abandoned out of service until the monitor got back from wherever she went off to and figured out there was a problem. At least by leaving the item she might see something was wrong before someone else tried to use it.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Maybe those of you who are disappointed with the progress of dehumanized shopping just live at the wrong place. I can easily walk to several grocery and general merchandise stores that follow the pre-supermarket model of products and employees behind counters.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:05 pm Maybe those of you who are disappointed with the progress of dehumanized shopping just live at the wrong place. I can easily walk to several grocery and general merchandise stores that follow the pre-supermarket model of products and employees behind counters.
I lack the funds to live in a home that costs in excess of a million dollars.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:46 pm
barnhart wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:05 pm Maybe those of you who are disappointed with the progress of dehumanized shopping just live at the wrong place. I can easily walk to several grocery and general merchandise stores that follow the pre-supermarket model of products and employees behind counters.
I lack the funds to live in a home that costs in excess of a million dollars.
I think the Big Apple requires the city to provide housing if you cannot afford your own. :D
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:55 pm I think the Big Apple requires the city to provide housing if you cannot afford your own. :D
:lol: mods, please move this post to the "I think it is funny..." thread.
2 x