The Anabaptist perception on self check-outs!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: The Anabaptist perception on self check-outs!

Post by JimFoxvog »

The few times I've tried self check-out it didn't work for me. Touch screens often don't.

It's better to have employment opportunities.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

I’ll use whichever method gets me out the door faster, and I’ve never been checked once after using self checkout. Walmart has a designated person to watch the self checkouts and so I guess they don’t see a need to do more checks.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I like whichever is faster.

I just read the other day that some stores are beginning to reduce self checkout.

https://www.businessinsider.com/walmart ... res-2023-9

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/some-r ... -1.7034047#:~:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/g ... r-backlash
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:35 pm I’ll use whichever method gets me out the door faster, and I’ve never been checked once after using self checkout. Walmart has a designated person to watch the self checkouts and so I guess they don’t see a need to do more checks.
In an area with more shoplifting, they will check. Perhaps you live in an area where lawlessness isn’t increasing quite S much.

The store we normally go to rarely if ever checks. A store 10 miles away aggressively checks everyone.
0 x
mrbilliam
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Post by mrbilliam »

ABC 123 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:21 pm I use the self check out most of the time because it is faster.

I greatly dislike that they put customers in the position to "be rude" by asking to see receipts, further detaining people and not trusting them to do the jobs they well could be doing or else just blowing past them. It's like making a random, petty church rule and then persecuting people for not obeying it.
You don't have to stop to have your receipt checked. They'll just fuss if you don't. But it's not a legal requirement.

I think self check outs are nice and it is a free market for businesses to perform.

The main issue I have with self checkout is creepy draconian facial scans and face recognition in some stores.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mrbilliam wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:23 pmYou don't have to stop to have your receipt checked. They'll just fuss if you don't. But it's not a legal requirement.
That's true. However, I try not to engage in boorish or aggressive behaviour in public, as I am concerned about what kind of Christian witness that might present.
I think self check outs are nice and it is a free market for businesses to perform.
Yes, although it may be an example of "market failure". A lot of things only accrue money to developers sitting around at home on their laptops and salesmen who know the right people to take to high priced dinners and buy expensive alcohol. That's, unfortunately, how a lot of the software business works.
The main issue I have with self checkout is creepy draconian facial scans and face recognition in some stores.
That technology is unfortunately everywhere now. No real way to avoid it. (I guess you could run around wearing a ski mask)
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Our household consumes a lot of bananas. I often take a reusable fabric grocery bag to the store and get several pounds of bananas or various ripeness. I use the self-checkout, I have the item number memorized, weigh the entire bag, pay for it and walk out. Never once did anyone check what I had in the bag. For all they know, I could have $20/pound steaks at the bottom.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

I like the convenience of self check out. Walmart started checking the sales slip when leaving the store, and I have no problem with them doing that. I can understand why they might check your slip, as the Walmart I go to, might as well have their own police station, as there is such a rise in theft.
1 x
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

Grace wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:14 am I like the convenience of self check out. Walmart started checking the sales slip when leaving the store, and I have no problem with them doing that. I can understand why they might check your slip, as the Walmart I go to, might as well have their own police station, as there is such a rise in theft.
The problem I have with the Walmart model is when they first came around they were all about Made in USA. They scarfed up a bunch of small companies who had been manufacturing to a larger audience and made them exclusive to Walmart. Then Walmart dropped them for cheaper China goods which put some of those small USA guys out of business.

Walmart notoriously has terrible customer service and a high theft rate. Now they make people check themselves out so they don't have to hire cashiers...but they don't trust people to not steal, so they station unarmed guards at the door to check receipts. Technically you don't *have* to stop at the receipt checker, but like Josh said, how much of a stir do you want to create by blowing past them?
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Grace wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:14 am I like the convenience of self check out. Walmart started checking the sales slip when leaving the store, and I have no problem with them doing that. I can understand why they might check your slip, as the Walmart I go to, might as well have their own police station, as there is such a rise in theft.
The Walmarts I don't go to don't check sales slips or seem to have much of a theft problem. But one time I did have reason to stop at a Walmart on the way to a business meeting; I had forgotten something that wasn't essential but might have been convenient, there was a store right on the way, and I had just enough time. Or so I thought. I found the one thing I was looking for, went to the self check out, and it double scanned. There didn't appear to be a way to delete the one that wasn't there (other stores do make that possible IIRC; the weight in the bagging area has to match anyway), the monitor was walking away from the self check out area, no other store personnel were around except staffed checkout lanes which all had lines, and I was out of time. So I left the item there and exited the store.

Other stores do seem to have more convenient systems, although I could suggest improvements for most of them.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited