The Anabaptist perception on self check-outs!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: The Anabaptist perception on self check-outs!

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:44 am
mike wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:27 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:58 am

What is slightly amusing though, no Mennonite owned/operated store in our area has self check-outs. Good's Store, Dutchway, Hornings, etc.

Just a random observation...
Good's tech division (my POS vendor) offers self-checkout systems. My store doesn't have the space for self checkout lanes, but I probably wouldn't do it anyway.
That’s quite interesting that they sell it… but don’t use it themselves.
Their stores are all hardware stores which probably don't lend themselves to self-checkouts as well. They write their POS for just about any retail business, so if they offer self-checkouts it is because their customers have requested it.

Their system is probably one of the best although I don't have experience with any others. It started as an internal system for their own stores but they recognized the demand and offered it to the public. They have expanded exponentially and my belief and experience is that their support for their products is second to none.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Grace wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:34 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:24 am
Grace wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:21 am

Ephrata's, Good's Store and Dutchway have self check out. Also Mennonite owned Martin's Country Market has self checkout as well.
Really? Not up our way, for sure.

And Martin's having one, never saw that coming. I should get in there and check out my old stomping grounds.
Both Goods and Dutchway, Ephrata Locations are new stores and I guess they wanted to keep up with the times. Martin's has had them for about two years. I believe it would take some major revamping to put self checkouts in the older stores.
Martin's seemed to always be "old school", at least back in the day when I worked there. I remember when they made the decision to stay open on a Saturday evening... half the front end quit. Everyone kept saying it was only a matter of time before they open on Sundays, which I think never happened.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:11 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:24 am

Really? Not up our way, for sure.

And Martin's having one, never saw that coming. I should get in there and check out my old stomping grounds.
Both Goods and Dutchway, Ephrata Locations are new stores and I guess they wanted to keep up with the times. Martin's has had them for about two years. I believe it would take some major revamping to put self checkouts in the older stores.
Martin's seemed to always be "old school", at least back in the day when I worked there. I remember when they made the decision to stay open on a Saturday evening... half the front end quit. Everyone kept saying it was only a matter of time before they open on Sundays, which I think never happened.
At this point with the current owners, I highly doubt they would open on Sundays. About a year ago they changed their dress code and allowed women to wear slacks. Prior to that only skirts were allowed. I did notice that all the women's slacks are black and usually their smocks do well in covering well below the waist.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Grace wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:08 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:11 am

At this point with the current owners, I highly doubt they would open on Sundays. About a year ago they changed their dress code and allowed women to wear slacks. Prior to that only skirts were allowed. I did notice that all the women's slacks are black and usually their smocks do well in covering well below the waist.
Dutchway did the same thing a few years ago.

Back in my days at Martin's, they dictated that the ladies had to wear certain shades of hosiery. I remember that being a big deal at the time.
0 x

Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I was bothered by self checkouts at first. Now I have grown to really like them. It is much easier and faster. The checker is much more pleasant and often quite good looking. I get to bag the way I want. If I am not into talking, I can get in and out quite fast. In Lowes, I learned to take a picture of a price if there is not UPC code on the item.

I also enjoy phone apps to some fast food places. I don't eat out often, but when I do, I can order ahead and get what I want.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
steve-in-kville

Just read that Walmart and Walgreens are phasing them out due to crime.
0 x

ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:42 am Just read that Walmart and Walgreens are phasing them out due to crime.
Are they going to phase out the Lebanon store for the same reason?
0 x