The Anabaptist perception on self check-outs!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: The Anabaptist perception on self check-outs!

Post by barnhart »

ABC 123 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:44 am ...Now they make people check themselves out so they don't have to hire cashiers...but they don't trust people to not steal, so they station unarmed guards at the door to check receipts. Technically you don't *have* to stop at the receipt checker, but like Josh said, how much of a stir do you want to create by blowing past them?
I usually walk up, hold out the receipt and before they speak say "Excuse me, can I have your autograph?" That usually gets a smile. I figure it's not their fault the job is terrible.
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Grace wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:14 am I like the convenience of self check out. Walmart started checking the sales slip when leaving the store, and I have no problem with them doing that. I can understand why they might check your slip, as the Walmart I go to, might as well have their own police station, as there is such a rise in theft.
And people in our area drive out of their way to shop at your Walmart, or the one west of us in Palmyra. My older white female coworkers tell me they are "quieter and cleaner" than our local Walmart. Which is their way of saying it has less minorities stealing shopping there :mrgreen:
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:34 am
Grace wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:14 am I like the convenience of self check out. Walmart started checking the sales slip when leaving the store, and I have no problem with them doing that. I can understand why they might check your slip, as the Walmart I go to, might as well have their own police station, as there is such a rise in theft.
And people in our area drive out of their way to shop at your Walmart, or the one west of us in Palmyra. My older white female coworkers tell me they are "quieter and cleaner" than our local Walmart. Which is their way of saying it has less minorities stealing shopping there :mrgreen:
Are you sure you know which Walmart I go to ? In case you are wondering, the Ephrata store. It is a bit of a trek from where we live, but the other ones would be Lebanon or Lancaster. No thanks to both of those.
0 x
steve-in-kville

I thought Ephrata was one of the better ones? Did something change?
0 x

Grace

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:16 am I thought Ephrata was one of the better ones? Did something change?
I think it is. But there has been an increased rise in theft. LOL....Must be those self checkouts !!
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

I wanted to buy a simple flashlight at your local walmart a while back. It was locked in a cage, and I waited about 20 minutes for someone with a key to unlock it, then finally left without it because I had no idea when somebody might actually decide to assist.
0 x
steve-in-kville

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:51 am
I wanted to buy a simple flashlight at your local walmart a while back. It was locked in a cage, and I waited about 20 minutes for someone with a key to unlock it, then finally left without it because I had no idea when somebody might actually decide to assist.
My wife orders a few things off the Walmart.com website. The last major transaction I had was several months ago when I needed some random art supplies in a pinch. The store was in such disarray I thought the place had been looted. My wife gets there way more often than I do and she tells me its been that way for some time.
0 x

steve-in-kville

Or Walmart...
FB_IMG_1701357346078.jpg
0 x

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Well, this Wal-Mart isn't going to be self checkouts on cooking oil:

0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Self checkout is no doubt 5he way of the future whether we like it or not. Technology is well on the way to deal with the theft problem. Once they have that perfected then look out. All the major chains will do it. There will be a few holdouts that will keep doing it the old way but with time you will pay extra for that service just like you did for years if you wanted someone to pump your gas.
As to being checked at the door I actually like when I am checked. I prefer when stores check everyone but even if I would be picked out randomly why who I care? I have nothing to hide and am glad to let them see that. I get extremely suspicious of anyone who is reluctant to have 5heir bags checked.
0 x