Mennonite Churches "East of the River"

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Mennonite Churches "East of the River"

Post by mike »

I heard that a Mennonite historian said once that, in Mennonite church associations, the churches "east of the river" (the Susquehanna) have always tended to make the rules for the churches elsewhere in the country.

Discuss. Any truth to this?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Mennonite Churches "East of the River"

Post by steve-in-kville »

mike wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:44 pm I heard that a Mennonite historian said once that, in Mennonite church associations, the churches "east of the river" (the Susquehanna) have always tended to make the rules for the churches elsewhere in the country.

This is/was true in the conservative Brethren groups. The west coast was always the progressive end, the east coast kept things the way it always was, and somewhere in the Midwest, the two blended.

To that end (for the most part) the Midwest was also the part that seemed to have the most unrest when it came to rules and standards. At least in my observations.

(by coast, I meant to that end of the country. Not literally on the beaches)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

It seems true of my conference, but I would have thought it was due to the fact that most of the congregations are east of the river.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

... and I was thinking of the Mississippi. I have absolutely no idea where this other river is.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I’ve also heard you can tell a person’s doctrine by their last name.
I would say most of my experience is with fellowships so I’m not super sure, I do know that our Pilgrim church isn’t necessarily on the same page as Pennsylvania Pilgrims.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

mike wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:44 pm I heard that a Mennonite historian said once that, in Mennonite church associations, the churches "east of the river" (the Susquehanna) have always tended to make the rules for the churches elsewhere in the country.

I was told that Isaac Sensenig supposedly said that in Bible times Jerusalem was the center of the Church, It is now Lancaster Co.
1 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Neto wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:42 pm ... and I was thinking of the Mississippi. I have absolutely no idea where this other river is.
It splits Pennsylvania almost down the middle….Lancaster and Franconia…the original homeland of American Mennonites are well to the east of the Susquehanna.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Soloist wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:43 pm I’ve also heard you can tell a person’s doctrine by their last name.
I would say most of my experience is with fellowships so I’m not super sure, I do know that our Pilgrim church isn’t necessarily on the same page as Pennsylvania Pilgrims.
I’ve heard that too…certain last names were associated with pushing any and all envelopes.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:05 pm

I was told that Isaac Sensenig supposedly said that in Bible times Jerusalem was the center of the Church, It is now Lancaster Co.
That is a staggering statement... It reveals a lot about the thinking of those in the East.
0 x
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

barnhart wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:08 am
Biblical Anabaptist wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:05 pm

That is a staggering statement... It reveals a lot about the thinking of those in the East.
Was he joshing?
0 x