107th Conservative Mennonite Conference

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Re: 107th Conservative Mennonite Conference

Post by Bill Rushby »

John Hostetler of *Amish Society* fame offered the term "overconformer" to describe those who push their practice of the faith to a point more conservative than is customary in a religious group.

"Overconforming" is not unusual among Conservative Friends, even among those who grew up as Conservative Friends. Adopting the garb when neither one's parents nor other close relatives and associates are "plain" is a case in point. Another is subscribing to a theological viewpoint more conservative than is typical in one's family or local meeting or congregation; this is also not uncommon.

Overconforming can be a "tough row to hoe," but occasionally results in one's family or close associates making the same choice, sometimes to the consternation of family members or coreligionists!!!
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Bill Rushby wrote:John Hostetler of *Amish Society* fame offered the term "overconformer" to describe those who push their practice of the faith to a point more conservative than is customary in a religious group.

"Overconforming" is not unusual among Conservative Friends, even among those who grew up as Conservative Friends. Adopting the garb when neither one's parents nor other close relatives and associates are "plain" is a case in point. Another is subscribing to a theological viewpoint more conservative than is typical in one's family or local meeting or congregation; this is also not uncommon.

Overconforming can be a "tough row to hoe," but occasionally results in one's family or close associates making the same choice, sometimes to the consternation of family members or coreligionists!!!
I grew up in Pentecostalism and we, too, had the "overconfomers". Seems to me, some were eager to please the Lord and be the best follower of Christ they could be while for others it was more of an attention thing on how super holy they appeared to be. I had an uncle who would pray (give thanks openly) over a stick of gum and ask God publicly with regard to every little decision he had to make (God what colour should I paint the bedroom). In these cases I think it challenges our responding to this whether we respond in tolerance and love or attempt to force conformity to the group norm. Love and patience without slander I believe should be our response. Thoughts ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

undershepherd wrote:
Josh wrote:It's completely normal to go to a less conservative group's conference.

The opposite almost never happens. After all, why would anyone ever want to be more conservative than the bare minimum they have to be?
That is so not true.
Part of the "almost never" is that events are often scheduled at the same time, as they are this year. I recall at the beginning of BMA there was something said about coordinating schedules to encourage attendance at each other's annual conferences and ministers' meetings; I think that lasted about a year. Granted it's sometimes difficult enough to find a date that works for the venue and the host community, let alone trying to accommodate potential visitors.

BMA and OGBB-NC appear to be pretty strict about preregistration, especially for meals. That might be imposed by the facilities, though. For CMC, unless you want to stay with a local family, y'all just show up. I should probably add this to keep myself out of trouble: Registration is useful to the local committee in their planning, so help them out if you can, but it is not required.

As a contraindicative anecdote, consider that CMC and BMA-ish, yea verily even MCUSA people, may sometimes be seen at AIC. Simply going to a conference does not make one more or less conservative than one is.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

AIC isn't exactly a conservatives only conference; it's a broad tent.

What I'm saying is that people from BMA are not a regular sight at Pilgrim Mennonite Conference gatherings. CMC members don't show up to Keystone's weekend seminars. People in Midwest Fellowship aren't very interested in the Old German Baptist Brethren's (Old) Conference. This isn't a criticism, just an observation.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: CMC members don't show up to Keystone's weekend seminars.
But the BMA people sure do. They even show up at our ordinations.

The CMC, as far as I know does not have much geographic overlap with Keystone. BMA does.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:

The CMC, as far as I know does not have much geographic overlap with Keystone. BMA does.

J.M.
Stephen Scott classified Keystone and BMA as both "fundamental-conservative Mennonites", although I'd put Keystone on the more-conservative end of that spectrum.
0 x
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

Josh wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:

J.M.
Stephen Scott classified Keystone and BMA as both "fundamental-conservative Mennonites", although I'd put Keystone on the more-conservative end of that spectrum.
I thought Keystone was considered moderate?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Haystack wrote:I thought Keystone was considered moderate?
Scott classified them as fundamental. I would argue that most other "moderate" groups are very similar to Keystone now, but that's more of a testament to how Keystone hasn't really changed in a while, and the other moderate groups have.
0 x
Admiral Acbon
Affiliation: BMA

Post by Admiral Acbon »

buckeyematt2 wrote:I've actually been thinking about going to a couple days of the BMA Convention this year...
It's the same weekend as the CMC conference, so I may go to one, or neither, but I couldn't go to both. The CMC conference is a lot closer, but I'm kind of curious to hear and see some BMA people.
I believe one can count on the BMA convention always being either the last weekend in July or first weekend in August. I expect next year's to be held in the Plain City (Ohio) area- my church is located there and is the largest of the three(?) churches "hosting" it. If it's like last time, it'll be at the local high school.
0 x
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sounds like this is a good year to hit up the CMC and next year BMA's conference for us Ohioans.

Evana's is being held in Indiana this year, but I haven't really been involved with them at all - I am pretty curious about them tho. Anyone on MennoNet going?
0 x