107th Conservative Mennonite Conference

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

107th Conservative Mennonite Conference

Post by Josh »

The CMC is meeting in Kidron, Ohio July 27 - 30. I plan to come to at least a few of the days - will I see any of you there?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: 107th Conservative Mennonite Conference

Post by ohio jones »

I'm expecting to be there Saturday and Sunday.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Post by MattY »

You do get around to a lot of conferences. (Good for you). Are there usually a significant amount of people from other groups there? I've never been to any specific group's conferences before other than the Beachy Youth Fellowships. I've actually been thinking about going to a couple days of the BMA Convention this year, but I was wondering if only BMA members usually attend that, and if it would be weird for a non-BMA person to be there.
http://www.biblicalmennonite.com/bma-convention.html

It's the same weekend as the CMC conference, so I may go to one, or neither, but I couldn't go to both. The CMC conference is a lot closer, but I'm kind of curious to hear and see some BMA people.
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
undershepherd
Affiliation: Mountain Valley Menn

Post by undershepherd »

Lots of non-BMA folks show up at BMA conventions. It wouldn't be weird at all.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

It's completely normal to go to a less conservative group's conference.

The opposite almost never happens. After all, why would anyone ever want to be more conservative than the bare minimum they have to be?
0 x
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Post by Bill Rushby »

by Josh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:14 pm
The opposite almost never happens. After all, why would anyone ever want to be more conservative than the bare minimum they have to be?
0 x

I believe there are several reasons why one might want to be more conservative "than they have to be," and there are many people who exercise that option!
0 x
undershepherd
Affiliation: Mountain Valley Menn

Post by undershepherd »

Josh wrote:It's completely normal to go to a less conservative group's conference.

That is so not true.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bill Rushby wrote:by Josh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:14 pm
0 x

I believe there are several reasons why one might want to be more conservative "than they have to be," and there are many people who exercise that option!
I mean of people who aren't seekers.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

undershepherd wrote:
Josh wrote:It's completely normal to go to a less conservative group's conference.

That is so not true.
I'm just saying what I've observed. At Midwest Fellowship's, I didn't see BMA people. At Nationwide's, I didn't see less conservative people (other than seekers). At a Beachy conference, I didn't see any non-plain affiliated Anabaptists. (I could go on.)

None of this applies to seekers since by definition we are people seeking something more conservative than our background. Apparently this phenomenon is so unusual there is a special term for us, "seekers". There is no special term for the far more common phenomenon of people either seeking to make their present setting less conservative, or else migrating to a less conservative setting.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: None of this applies to seekers since by definition we are people seeking something more conservative than our background. Apparently this phenomenon is so unusual there is a special term for us, "seekers". There is no special term for the far more common phenomenon of people either seeking to make their present setting less conservative, or else migrating to a less conservative setting.
"freedom seekers" ? :)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit