Appalachian Mennonite Church

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Appalachian Mennonite Church

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

What conference is this, where did they come from?

Where would they place in the “order” of things?
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Appalachian Mennonite Church

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:10 am What conference is this, where did they come from?

If it’s the one I’m thinking of that perhaps has a slightly different name, it is a split from Eastern (including a bishop) that is more steadfast on avoiding the Internet (as opposed to in Eastern, where bishops use it in their businesses regardless of whether or not the the congregations don’t approve of that.)
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:41 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:10 am What conference is this, where did they come from?

If it’s the one I’m thinking of that perhaps has a slightly different name, it is a split from Eastern (including a bishop) that is more steadfast on avoiding the Internet (as opposed to in Eastern, where bishops use it in their businesses regardless of whether or not the the congregations don’t approve of that.)
Northeast was the conservative PMC split, right?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

Are you referring to Appalachian Mennonite Conference?

And Josh, I don't think there's such a thing as "congregational approval" in Eastern. Such decisions are made at the conference level. And internet use is allowed in Eastern excluding one district.
0 x
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:50 am

Yes, Northeast is a breakaway group from Pilgrim. Whether it's "conservative", I don't know. My eyes glaze over at all the intermediate, ultra, "progressive conservative" listings on here. Frankly, it's silly to stereotype groups.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

AndersonD wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:55 am And internet use is allowed in Eastern excluding one district.
Why? Was internet approved district by district?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:50 am

Looks like this.

Code: Select all

Northeast (more)
                      Pilgrim (less) /
Lancaster - Eastern <
                      Appalachian (more)

0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

AndersonD wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:55 amAre you referring to Appalachian Mennonite Conference?
I'm not 100% clear on the name.
And Josh, I don't think there's such a thing as "congregational approval" in Eastern. Such decisions are made at the conference level. And internet use is allowed in Eastern excluding one district.
That's true. As another poster said, they are run sort of like the Politboro. The congregation has no say at all on anything. The bishops could wake up tomorrow and decide to allow gay marriage (perhaps because a bishop's son comes out as gay) and they would honestly expect their congregation to just dutifully submit. Or to open and operate a brothel (and "baptise" it by saying a portion of the profits will go to pay for missions).

This problem was documented well in lesterb's book, God and Uncle Dale.

However, in this case some bishops simply started using it in their businesses and didn't even confer at a meeting first. They are just used to getting away with whatever they want. If it makes more money, your average wealthy Eastern bishop (I'm sorry to say) will do it.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I doubt they would do those things, but I see the same fault of the Catholic Church and the Orthodox coming through in Eastern (and Pilgrim). I guess I’m too much of a Congregationalist myself.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

AndersonD wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:55 am

Are you referring to Appalachian Mennonite Conference?

The Appalachian folks are more conservative than the Eastern. And the primary issue was the internet. There were policies on the Eastern books prohibiting internet. However, there was a "winking" at internet use in some business contexts. The Appalachian folks felt this was somewhat duplicitous and wanted a complete and true practice of the policy on the books at home and at business. That is my understanding...
0 x