Appalachian Mennonite Church

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Re: Appalachian Mennonite Church

Post by eccentric_rambler »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:08 pm Maybe it would be funny if it were actually true. But since it's only partly accurate, the rest of the fun has to be in seeing how people like to stereotype others. :D
In every stereotype there is a grain of truth. - Rush Limbaugh
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:12 pm
JayP wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:52 pm But all that said, there is no question 80% of Conservative Mennonites would NEVER be Mennonites if they had been plucked away at birth, dropped down and had to join a church. What I mean is, they are not STAYING because these are the handful so wonderfully convicted. They THINK they are deeply convicted. THey are just driven by circumstance, time and place, family roots and being raised there.
This is something I've been wrestling with. As an NMB who ended up in an ultra church as a youth, how much was belief and how much "seemed like the thing to do'?
That's certainly an interesting quandary. (These days, I tend to wish I'd ended up in an ultra church as a youth, as it would simply make a lot of things simpler right now.)
0 x
eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Post by eccentric_rambler »

I think it's just the grass is always greener, Josh. People and politics are the same everywhere. If you like having rules it's a good place to be, unless it also frustrates you when you see others wholesale disregard for said rules.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:22 pm I think it's just the grass is always greener, Josh. People and politics are the same everywhere. If you like having rules it's a good place to be, unless it also frustrates you when you see others wholesale disregard for said rules.
Probably the biggest challenge I would face is "politburos", as I don't cope very well with those. I guess that's why I'm content in my current affiliation.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:12 pm
JayP wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:52 pm But all that said, there is no question 80% of Conservative Mennonites would NEVER be Mennonites if they had been plucked away at birth, dropped down and had to join a church. What I mean is, they are not STAYING because these are the handful so wonderfully convicted. They THINK they are deeply convicted. THey are just driven by circumstance, time and place, family roots and being raised there.
This is something I've been wrestling with. As an NMB who ended up in an ultra church as a youth, how much was belief and how much "seemed like the thing to do'?
For this NMB that joined at about age 57, it was about belief. Where is a theologically conservative person who rejects Christian nationalism and holds to nonresistance gonna go?

I suspect just about all of my Church is not driven by circumstance but by belief, but than we are a really young church.
0 x
:hug:
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

Josh, I hope your comment was meant to be silly. Comparing that the Orthodox and RCC disagree on the Popes authority to the menno pre/ah debate is absurd and beneath anyone with a brain.

Papal authority IS the difference between the two churches.
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

I do not see that my comments using the examples of Merle and Isaac were stereotyping. I was just recounting a literally true situation. FWIIW I am much more personally open to a ah interpretation. But that is irrelevant. The point is Eastern for example will talk all day about read your bible, study, listen to messages, etc. but the only REAL differentiator for most of them on that issue is their environment. So apparently the Word only appears to penetrate on some issues.

Again, do not misunderstand me. I think Easterns position of “we do not consider any particular interpretation of Revelation to be required for membership” the correct one. It’s just revealing that twins separated at birth into two churches a few miles apart will come to different positions.

And that is important because it speaks to something crucial in understanding these churches. Family, clan, impact SO MUCH. They are not simply religions say the way Catholicism is. Sure, there are minor things that distinguish Irish Catholics from Polish ones. But little required practices, or doctrines, or ordinations are being driven by them. In conservative Menno settings family and clan are HUGELY influential.

If they could recognize it even without my suggesting that means something needs to change it would have value
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Family and clan determine whether someone ends up being Catholic or Eastern Orthodox, too.

You want to talk about a politburo? How about the selection and promotion of cardinals and popes?
0 x
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:22 pm I think it's just the grass is always greener, Josh. People and politics are the same everywhere. If you like having rules it's a good place to be, unless it also frustrates you when you see others wholesale disregard for said rules.
Looking at standards as rules for you be frustrated with others with is not the point of standards. A point of reference helps see if we are moving and in a direction that is good for our spiritual well being. “Holding a line” is not the end all be all that it may be presented as - your(my) reaction to it is more telling.

When we learn to look at Jesus and be responsible for our own account to Him. Coupled with a desire to bless others and build up the church in accountability we will find the ultra setting absolutely amazing and good for our walk with God and advancement of His kingdom. The flesh wants everyone else to be spotless.

My observation is that if we don’t stay focused on Christ and blessing others and therefore become frustrated it is drift off downward unfortunately…
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Josh

Post by Josh »

A better focus is how to allow Jesus to make ourselves spotless…. And then to help a brother who is discouraged in their Christian walk as the spirit gives us opportunity.

There is a role for church and leaders to define rules and boundaries, simply to reduce conflict.
0 x