Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Check all that apply.

Our deacons preach.
13%
Lift a weekly offering.
11%
Have handicap parking spaces.
10%
Have designated parking for the elderly.
5%
Frequent fellowship/potluck meals.
16%
A designated hospitality list.
10%
Designated song leader.
13%
Overhead projector or screen.
8%
Printed bulletin.
9%
A greeter hands you the above mentioned bulletin.
6%

Total votes: 88

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

At my church reboot... part 3

Post by steve-in-kville »

Part three of this series of polls. Vote and comment as needed.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: At my church reboot... part 3

Post by Ernie »

what does "reboot" have to do with these topics?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ernie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:23 am what does "reboot" have to do with these topics?
I did similar polls back in the spring. We have some new people, so I thought we'd do them again.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

No more offering plates/buckets/bags passed. Offering box is in the back of the meeting area. (I have always found that terminology "lift the offering" to be somewhat humorous, due to the term "lift a wallet". :? )
No song leader. The have a "Music Supervisor" (or somesuch title) that organizes different "worship teams" to lead the singing.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Not sure what "lift" a weekly offering means, but we have a bucket for giving and each week is designated for something different, like building fund, local benevolence, etc.

Each week there is a family dedicated to hosting visitors for a meal and fellowship after morning service, and those families are planned out on the calendar each month. Often held at the house we worship in (we still meet in a basement of their house), which turns into a big fellowship meal for most or all of the families that gather.

But meeting at the family's home means there isn't stuff like dedicated handicapped parking "spots". You park wherever you can! The house isn't very handicapped accessible anyway... :( But we're working on a public meeting house to hold Sunday services in.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I assume those who checked "Overhead projector or screen" did so because of the screen. Probably someone somewhere still uses a 50 year old overhead projector with transparencies, but I haven't run across them for quite a while.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:42 pm I assume those who checked "Overhead projector or screen" did so because of the screen. Probably someone somewhere still uses a 50 year old overhead projector with transparencies, but I haven't run across them for quite a while.
I didn't check that one the first time through, then thought perhaps the meaning was "a projector mounted over head". So I went back & checked it off as well. Speaking of technology, our sound people used to play videos off of a DVD player. Much more reliable than running them off of a computer, at least at our congregation. (Often they try to get them going, and either the projector is not connected to the computer, or the computer has a mind of its own.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:42 pm I assume those who checked "Overhead projector or screen" did so because of the screen. Probably someone somewhere still uses a 50 year old overhead projector with transparencies, but I haven't run across them for quite a while.
At our church we use the overhead with transparencies much more often pulling out a computer projector. But we use the latest Mennonite Hymnal, Voices Together, for most singing.
0 x