Cliques in our youth

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
gracefortoday
Affiliation: Mennonite

Cliques in our youth

Post by gracefortoday »

Has anyone here dealt with cliques in your youth group or mission team? Can you tell me how you handled them as an adult in charge of youth whether on a mission trip or within a youth group? If you've talked to parents of the youth involved, do they stick up for their child or are they willing to help you work with their child? Any information about what you did that was successful is helpful.

I'm thinking of an extreme case where the clique actually mopes if they're not allowed to be together. They have to have hands on each other hugging each other or touching in some way. Is this a healthy sign or a sign of something that's wrong? Sorry, I have a lot of questions.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Cliques in our youth

Post by steve-in-kville »

Interesting topic.

Cliques are gonna happen whether it's with teens or adults. It is part of a natural social structure.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:27 am Interesting topic.

Cliques are gonna happen whether it's with teens or adults. It is part of a natural social structure.
Well said. You have just explained social psychology far better than many psych profs. :hi5
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
gracefortoday

Post by gracefortoday »

Well, thanks for the obvious. I think everyone knows this. Doesn't answer the question, though.
0 x
steve-in-kville

gracefortoday wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:30 am Well, thanks for the obvious. I think everyone knows this. Doesn't answer the question, though.
I didn't intend to.

Let's look at it a different way: if a youth leader tries to eliminate (or control) so called "cliques", in all likelihood they may create a whole different set of problems for themselves.
1 x

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:35 am
gracefortoday wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:30 am Well, thanks for the obvious. I think everyone knows this. Doesn't answer the question, though.
I didn't intend to.

Let's look at it a different way: if a youth leader tries to eliminate (or control) so called "cliques", in all likelihood they may create a whole different set of problems for themselves.
Exactly. The youth leader would do well to teach the matters of the faith and help the different cliques to identify with those teachings. This will help clique members to feel a part of a larger identity group in Christ.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville

If a church has this issue with its youth, guaranteed they already have the same issue with full grown adults.
1 x

gracefortoday

Post by gracefortoday »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:45 am If a church has this issue with its youth, guaranteed they already have the same issue with full grown adults.

Yes, I agree with this. We have found that to be the case. It's a sad reality.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Years ago when we were responsible for some youth that were traveling to an event, we assigned seating to separate some cliques. You can do a few things like this, but not sure how much they help in the long run.

One thing that our school does in order to combat cliques is that they have "buddy groups." An older student, usually a high schooler, is the leader of a small group that has students of various ages/grade levels. This group does various things together through the school year. For example, they may be together on field trips. The leader may be responsible to get Christmas, birthday, or end of year gifts for the group. It seems to be a nice way to promote a whole-school spirit and it gives the high schoolers an opportunity to practice leadership skills. Maybe some variation of this would work for a youth group.
2 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Grace

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:45 am If a church has this issue with its youth, guaranteed they already have the same issue with full grown adults.
Agreed 100%. One of our local conservative Mennonite high schools in the area was horrible for cliques. I was of the opinion that the adults were just as bad and because they were, they certainly weren't going to address the issue with the young people who attended.
1 x