The Reboot... 2.0

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

At my church.... Check all that apply.

Changed conference affiliation in your lifetime.
15%
Changed headcovering styles in your lifetime.
7%
Have a bishop, elder and/or head pastor.
22%
Ordained always sit in the front benches.
5%
Preaching minister always greats you on the way out.
8%
We have a church website.
17%
Services are livestreamed.
12%
Weekly printed bulletin is posted on said website.
2%
Special baby, high school, college graduation dedication services.
7%
Headphone jacks for those that are hearing impaired.
7%

Total votes: 60

Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: The Reboot... 2.0

Post by Neto »

I did a search about when Infant Dedication was first instituted, and was surprised by what I found. (I have long disapproved of this practice, and assumed that it came into Mennonite circles from other church traditions.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_ded ... ren%20from
Child Dedication - History
Even though the Christian Church had not practiced child dedication for 15 centuries from its inception, in 1523, the Anabaptist movement, which taught that baptism is only for adults (believer's baptism) according to their understanding of the bible, first instituted child dedication practice for all children from believing households instead of just the first born sons.[9] The child dedication was subsequently adopted by many evangelical denominations (Baptists and Pentecostalism) adhering to the doctrine of the believers' Church.[10][6] Other evangelical denominations, such as many Methodist Churches, contain rites for both infant baptism and child dedication, leaving the option to families for what they wish for their sons and daughters; examples include the Free Methodist Church and Allegheny Wesleyan Methodist Connection.[11][12]
https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ordinances
Though they are not listed in confessional or worship documents prior to the 1890s, oral tradition in some Mennonite circles has preserved the practices of infant dedication and anointing of the sick. The Gnadenfeld rite of the main Mennonite group in Russia ("Kirchen-Gemeinden") includes an infant dedication service clearly adapted from the ritual of infant baptism, no doubt because the Gnadenfeld congregation was originally Lutheran (Handbuch für Prediger, 64-65). Although other marks of the church have receded in use, infant dedication has become an almost universal practice among the main Mennonite conferences in North America. The greater attention to children as people in their own right has contributed to the desire of parents to have their children included in the care of God and of the church by means of a specific event. Attention has been given to make the difference between infant presentation and baptism clear (e.g., Minister's Manual, [Evangelical Mennonite Conference], 52). In some circles, however, infant dedication is increasingly seen as the inclusion of children in all aspects of the church's life. This has both stemmed from and led to less emphasis on conversion, catechism, and baptism as the necessary prerequisites for full participation in the life of the church.
For a fuller treatment of this subject, see:
https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dedication_of_Infants
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:26 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:13 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:04 am

Really? Which ones, I may broach this topic at the next meeting. I have never seen such a thing.
Is Fairview Mennonite in Reading still KMF?
It seems they do infant dedications.
Yes. Just looked at our district covenant, it does not say that you cannot do such a thing. Never seen such a thing in my circles. I will raise the topic. I would be firmly opposed to it. In that bulletin I am seeing birth announcements. I am not seeing “dedication “ as I saw it in the evangelical world. I will try to figure this out.
Look at May 14, 2023. It appears it's mostly about a once a year thing. And yes, they specifically call it "Baby Dedication."
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:56 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:13 am
Is Fairview Mennonite in Reading still KMF?
It seems they do infant dedications.
Yes. Just looked at our district covenant, it does not say that you cannot do such a thing. Never seen such a thing in my circles. I will raise the topic. I would be firmly opposed to it. In that bulletin I am seeing birth announcements. I am not seeing “dedication “ as I saw it in the evangelical world. I will try to figure this out.
Look at May 14, 2023. It appears it's mostly about a once a year thing. And yes, they specifically call it "Baby Dedication."
Interestingly enough, it is on Mothers Day. I will admit, that is unlike anything I have ever seen either in the Mennonite or evangelical world.

A Mother’s Day thing is a bit less problematic than the “fake baptisms “ prevalent in the evangelical world.
0 x
:hug:
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:38 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:56 am

Interestingly enough, it is on Mothers Day. I will admit, that is unlike anything I have ever seen either in the Mennonite or evangelical world.

A Mother’s Day thing is a bit less problematic than the “fake baptisms “ prevalent in the evangelical world.
The third reference I posted above specifically says that it was usually done on the first Sunday when the mother attended with the new baby. It sounds to me that there was a bit more emphasis on the mother than is the case in what I've seen. I can see that as more acceptable, as it is a time of thanks, because the mother survived the childbirth, and the child as well.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Instead of baby dedications… how about organising freezer meals for new moms, helping poorer families get $$ for parents etc to come in and stay a week or two from out of town, Mennonite owned businesses being just a LITTLE more generous with some time off for dad to help with the new baby? Hmm?

Instead, I heard of men in labourer type jobs who are back on the job the next day after mom comes home from the hospital with a C section. These are businesses that could EASILY afford to give a few days off, and whose owners seem to be able to buy second homes in Sarasota plus an “investment” AirBnB with an in ground pool…
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: the only baby dedication I ever heard of back in Oregon definitely seemed like a substitute for infant baptism, but the dad came from a Catholic background, so that’s why I assumed it happened. The mom‘s background was probably closer to BMA. I didn’t think it was bad, just basically people doing a devotional and praying for guidance for the parents and the parents agreeing to raise their child teaching them to follow God, but I can see how some people might be bothered by it. In some ways, it seems kind of similar to what people do during baby showers, other than both men and women being there, the baby already being born, and no ridiculous party games.

I don’t recall them ever having another shindig like that, so maybe it was an oldest child thing or maybe they just decided that with all the children they planned on having, it would get tiring and expensive. I don’t think it happened all that soon after the baby was born (definitely not the first week), but the mom probably had time to recover and feel like a human being again before they threw the get together.

All the churches we’ve gone to since then just mention during announcements that there’s a new church attendee whenever the mom brings a baby for the first time. Really confused my husband once, because he was sure that they were embarrassing some visitor.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:59 pm Instead of baby dedications… how about organising freezer meals for new moms, helping poorer families get $$ for parents etc to come in and stay a week or two from out of town, Mennonite owned businesses being just a LITTLE more generous with some time off for dad to help with the new baby? Hmm?

Instead, I heard of men in labourer type jobs who are back on the job the next day after mom comes home from the hospital with a C section. These are businesses that could EASILY afford to give a few days off, and whose owners seem to be able to buy second homes in Sarasota plus an “investment” AirBnB with an in ground pool…
Smartest thing I've read so far today. 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:59 pm Instead of baby dedications… how about organising freezer meals for new moms, helping poorer families get $$ for parents etc to come in and stay a week or two from out of town, Mennonite owned businesses being just a LITTLE more generous with some time off for dad to help with the new baby? Hmm?
Why "instead"? Having a time for the church to pray for the child and family and helping the mom are not incompatible.
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:52 am
Why "instead"? Having a time for the church to pray for the child and family and helping the mom are not incompatible.
I don’t think a religious ceremony dedicating children is appropriate, as we believe children are innocent and not yet in the domain of benefitting at all from ordinances like baptism, communion, head covering, and so forth.

That doesn’t mean we can’t suppprt new mothers and fathers tho, as part of bearing one another’s burdens. And I think they kind of support is often more meaningful that religious rituals.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:34 pm
JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:52 am
I don’t think a religious ceremony dedicating children is appropriate, as we believe children are innocent and not yet in the domain of benefitting at all from ordinances like baptism, communion, head covering, and so forth.

That doesn’t mean we can’t suppprt new mothers and fathers tho, as part of bearing one another’s burdens. And I think they kind of support is often more meaningful that religious rituals.
I would agree. Last time I was informed of such a "need" I was told not to bring anything, as there was too much already.
0 x
:hug: