At my church.. the reboot!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

At my church.... Check all that apply.

Use musical instruments in worship.
9%
Have a benevolence committee.
9%
Have donuts & coffee prior to the service.
5%
50% (or more) have the Bible on their phones.
6%
Raised stage and/or pulpit.
13%
Have a sound system.
17%
Have a designated person to operate said sound system.
16%
Indoor baptismal (mostly a brethren thing).
6%
Youth leader or youth pastor.
8%
Some manner to communicate attendance & offering amounts.
11%

Total votes: 109

ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: At my church.. the reboot!

Post by ohio jones »

Ernie wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:26 am I couldn't check any of the options.
Whereas I checked them all except the indoor baptismal. Not that we don't do baptisms indoors on occasion, but without built-in facilities.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:55 pm
Ernie wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:26 am I couldn't check any of the options.
Whereas I checked them all except the indoor baptismal. Not that we don't do baptisms indoors on occasion, but without built-in facilities.
Evermore Church (neé Hartville Mennonite Church) has a shower on premises but no bathtub. It would appear their dedication to effusion goes beyond just the choice of fount.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Neto wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:58 am
A few differences in our local MB church in blue -

Use musical instruments in worship.
For a long time already. It started out as "a special thing once & a while" and is now "full Swing".
In the MB congregation where I grew up, in my lifetime there was always a piano, and there were special Sunday evening services where other instruments were used, such as acoustic guitar, harmonica, mandolin, accordian, etc. (never drums or beating boxes). These special meetings were always a Sunday evening, once a month.

Have a benevolence committee.
I assume your are talking about a person or persons who distribute the alms funds. (Yes for both.)

Have donuts & coffee prior to the service.
They have coffee, but generally not donuts. Usually cookies or cake. (I take neither. Not allowed to drink coffee anymore for medical reasons - more than 40 years, and I don't eat sweets then because I just brushed my teeth.)
MB: Never.

Yes, our local MB church has a cafe where coffee, donuts and a variety of snacks are available prior to, during and after the services.

50% (or more) have the Bible on their phones.
I didn't check this item, because I have no idea how many do, but a lot.

Raised stage and/or pulpit.
The MB congregations had a raised platform in the church house, but not as high as our current congregation's building.

Have a sound system.
Yes, both, but the MB church house had a very simple system, with a single mic.

Our local MB church has a high tech sound system and lighting as well as two big screens replacing hymn books.

Have a designated person to operate said sound system.
Current congregation: a whole team of people, with at least two back there fiddling with the multiplicity of knobs & sliders to get the best blasting effect at all times.
The MB congregation? Probably one of the ushers - set it and leave it alone.

Our local MB church is like your current congregation.

Indoor baptismal (mostly a brethren thing).
Current congregation uses a portable stock tank to do the dunking upon request. Otherwise still a sprinkle-pour practice.
The MB adopted immersion from the beginning (1860), and initially it was 3 times, then soon changed to a single dunk, possibly because they sometimes had to break the ice in order to do it. Also at night during the early years, because of the persecution and disruptive behavior of the Gross Gemeinde people. Had to be "living water" and unheated up until sometime in the late 40's or 50's. I was baptized (by immersion) in a borrowed church house. The new church house (built 1981 or 82) had a built-in deal, with stairs on both ends. (The women came in one side, and the men on the other, with dressing rooms on either side.)

Our local MB church has immersion baptisms on-going that take place during Sunday morning worship services. Permanent tank as found in most full immersion churches.

Youth leader or youth pastor.
MB: We had youth sponsors, during my time in the youth, one single guy and one couple, then later two couples, but not called 'pastor'.
Current congregation: They now have a youth pastor, before that various couples who serve for a set term. (They still do this, in addition to having a 'youth pastor'.

Some manner to communicate attendance & offering amounts.
MB: There was a board on the side wall up front.
Current: There may be a board like that still up, but if so it's way in the back. Offering is in the bulletin, no attendance records there.

Our local MB church communicates offering and budget information through church bulletins handed out to everyone entering the sanctuary. Attendances not recorded.

QUESTIONS:
How many have the pre-SS gathering for a song & a devotional, or announcements?
Our local MB church has none.
How many no longer have adult SS?
I think I was the last to lead an adult SS class in our local MB church years ago.

Paid vs lay pastors or preachers? [The MBs had lay pastors with one church Elder or 'Leader' until (in the case of the congregation in which I grew up) the early 50's, when they adopted the paid ministry model. I'd guess that our current congregation's preachers (3 or 4 at any time) each receive about 1 day a week's pay, but the amounts may not be equal across the board. I am not in that "inner circle" who knows such things.]

Our local MB church has full paid pastors (I think 2 at the moment). Other roles are paid also like full time secretaries, custodians, etc.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit