At my church.. the reboot!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

At my church.... Check all that apply.

Use musical instruments in worship.
9%
Have a benevolence committee.
9%
Have donuts & coffee prior to the service.
5%
50% (or more) have the Bible on their phones.
6%
Raised stage and/or pulpit.
13%
Have a sound system.
17%
Have a designated person to operate said sound system.
16%
Indoor baptismal (mostly a brethren thing).
6%
Youth leader or youth pastor.
8%
Some manner to communicate attendance & offering amounts.
11%

Total votes: 109

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

At my church.. the reboot!

Post by steve-in-kville »

I like to do this every few months or so as we welcome in new forum members. Check all that apply, discuss as needed.

And please, for the love of God and all that is holy, do not destroy this thread with your politics and bickering. The last few threads remind me of a dumpster fire and a train wreck that had a love child. Please stop.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: At my church.. the reboot!

Post by ABC 123 »

In the past i have been to Brethren churches where the indoor baptismal is a permanent fixture. Our current church has a portable one.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Our baptismal is portable. We have a Keurig coffee maker but no donuts or other food unless it was leftover from a function the night/day before. We are told the offering in the bulletin the next Sunday and how it lines up with the budget but not attendance.
0 x
steve-in-kville

ABC 123 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:50 am In the past i have been to Brethren churches where the indoor baptismal is a permanent fixture. Our current church has a portable one.
The more conservative Brethren groups insist on baptizing in a creek where there is moving water. I've heard various theories over the years as to how that is better than pool... but whatever ;)
0 x

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

We do our baptisms indoors but the “baptismal” is a glass pitcher.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I couldn't check any of the options.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Outside of pouring baptism, none of these here either. I don’t believe at any of our churches we attended regularly outside of the first semi liberal one.
All of them had sound systems but mostly static without someone ever needing to mess with them.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Use musical instruments in worship.
For a long time already. It started out as "a special thing once & a while" and is now "full Swing".
In the MB congregation where I grew up, in my lifetime there was always a piano, and there were special Sunday evening services where other instruments were used, such as acoustic guitar, harmonica, mandolin, accordian, etc. (never drums or beating boxes). These special meetings were always a Sunday evening, once a month.

Have a benevolence committee.
I assume your are talking about a person or persons who distribute the alms funds. (Yes for both.)

Have donuts & coffee prior to the service.
They have coffee, but generally not donuts. Usually cookies or cake. (I take neither. Not allowed to drink coffee anymore for medical reasons - more than 40 years, and I don't eat sweets then because I just brushed my teeth.)
MB: Never.

50% (or more) have the Bible on their phones.
I didn't check this item, because I have no idea how many do, but a lot.

Raised stage and/or pulpit.
The MB congregations had a raised platform in the church house, but not as high as our current congregation's building.

Have a sound system.
Yes, both, but the MB church house had a very simple system, with a single mic.

Have a designated person to operate said sound system.
Current congregation: a whole team of people, with at least two back there fiddling with the multiplicity of knobs & sliders to get the best blasting effect at all times.
The MB congregation? Probably one of the ushers - set it and leave it alone.

Indoor baptismal (mostly a brethren thing).
Current congregation uses a portable stock tank to do the dunking upon request. Otherwise still a sprinkle-pour practice.
The MB adopted immersion from the beginning (1860), and initially it was 3 times, then soon changed to a single dunk, possibly because they sometimes had to break the ice in order to do it. Also at night during the early years, because of the persecution and disruptive behavior of the Gross Gemeinde people. Had to be "living water" and unheated up until sometime in the late 40's or 50's. I was baptized (by immersion) in a borrowed church house. The new church house (built 1981 or 82) had a built-in deal, with stairs on both ends. (The women came in one side, and the men on the other, with dressing rooms on either side.)

Youth leader or youth pastor.
MB: We had youth sponsors, during my time in the youth, one single guy and one couple, then later two couples, but not called 'pastor'.
Current congregation: They now have a youth pastor, before that various couples who serve for a set term. (They still do this, in addition to having a 'youth pastor'.

Some manner to communicate attendance & offering amounts.
MB: There was a board on the side wall up front.
Current: There may be a board like that still up, but if so it's way in the back. Offering is in the bulletin, no attendance records there.

QUESTIONS:
How many have the pre-SS gathering for a song & a devotional, or announcements?
How many no longer have adult SS?
Paid vs lay pastors or preachers? [The MBs had lay pastors with one church Elder or 'Leader' until (in the case of the congregation in which I grew up) the early 50's, when they adopted the paid ministry model. I'd guess that our current congregation's preachers (3 or 4 at any time) each receive about 1 day a week's pay, but the amounts may not be equal across the board. I am not in that "inner circle" who knows such things.]
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville

Ernie wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:26 am I couldn't check any of the options.
Don't worry. There will be a part two and possible three in the days to come.
0 x

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

“How many have the pre-SS gathering for a song & a devotional, or announcements?”

We have an opening song, a devotional, the Sunday school superintendent talks about the lesson a bit, a prayer, and possibly an announcement, then dismissed to SS classes. Then upon regathering, people chat for a bit, then a song leader “closes Sunday school” with a song, and then you wait for someone to give an introduction. After that there will be announcements.

They moved to announcing engagements after the service is over, otherwise many couldn’t concentrate on the sermon.
0 x