Old Order Amish & technology?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Old Order Amish & technology?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I'm seeing (and hearing) that our local Amish are loosening up restrictions on technology, especially when it comes to farm work and such. I'm also told that with advances in solar power, they are using electric for a lot more than just charging batteries for their buggies.

Has anyone else seen this in their areas?

Keep in mind, this is not a thread to bash the O/O Amish and their way of life. And please attempt to keep politics out of it 8-)
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Old Order Amish & technology?

Post by Neto »

Yes. Automatic washers in the last few years. Sewing machines were getting common already 15 years ago. Solar is the major energy provider, some wind turbines, others use a small generator, but that's for infrequent use, not the constant power situation.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The nature of how bishops’ committees work means almost every OO district is gradually becoming more liberal. Meanwhile other groups like the Dan church and certain New Order groups are not, or actually are becoming stricter.

Eventually the O/O’s will be like Beachys (or more likely like RNoC) and groups like the Danners will replace the OO.
0 x
steve-in-kville

I'm seeing a lot of tractors on the road, on rubber, and they're not just using them to fill silos anymore.

Things like cell phones is getting more widespread as well.
0 x

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I was told over the weekend that OO Amish in Lancaster make these changes without agreement to do so. Somebody starts doing something, and if he is not visited by the bishop, then others start doing it as well until it becomes more common place. The bishop may speak against it publicly, but that does not hold a lot of water. If you know of districts where this is not the case, I would be glad to know about it.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville

Ernie wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:34 am I was told over the weekend that OO Amish in Lancaster make these changes without agreement to do so. Somebody starts doing something, and if he is not visited by the bishop, then others start doing it as well until it becomes more common place. The bishop may speak against it publicly, but that does not hold a lot of water. If you know of districts where this is not the case, I would be glad to know about it.
That sounds like every organization I've ever been affiliated with ;)
0 x

mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Ernie wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:34 am I was told over the weekend that OO Amish in Lancaster make these changes without agreement to do so. Somebody starts doing something, and if he is not visited by the bishop, then others start doing it as well until it becomes more common place. The bishop may speak against it publicly, but that does not hold a lot of water. If you know of districts where this is not the case, I would be glad to know about it.
I think that is nothing new with the OO Amish in Lancaster County. 35 years ago when my parents were Amish this sort of thing was happening with gas-powered mowers vs. reel mowers for Amish homeowners. If you got away with it, more people did it, and eventually expectations changed to accommodate the new technology.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Yeah I've heard from a few sources that cell phones/smart phones are fairly common among the old order amish.

This is just speculation, but I figured this was for two reasons:
1) Setting limits on new trends/technology seem to be lesser when the thing can help in "business".
2) Old Order Amish are happy to keep the same traditions from ages past, but are less interested in facing new challenges of the current day. So they'll keep a ban on radios but there wasn't enough interest to come together and make a decision to stay away from smartphones.

The second reason would be from the dramatic shifts the Old Order Amish have been effected by, like the Beachy break, or the Charity and charismatic movements drawing away a lot of members seeking something else, especially a vague idea of "freedom". Although not willing to cave and do away with their old traditions and convictions, it seemed like the Amish were less willing to keep up their critique of culture and make new "rules" that ban this or that technology.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:36 amThat sounds like every organization I've ever been affiliated with ;)
It doesn't happen in most ultra-conservative and intermediate-conservative churches.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville

Ernie wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:24 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:36 amThat sounds like every organization I've ever been affiliated with ;)
It doesn't happen in most ultra-conservative and intermediate-conservative churches.
Not sure I agree. I am told that is how EPMC loosened up over the internet issue. People were using loopholes and work-a-rounds (or just kept their mouth shut).
0 x