Love notes in hymnals

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Love notes in hymnals

Post by Josh »

One of the more amusing things I have only observed in German Baptist meeting houses is little love notes scrawled in the front or back of the little hymnbooks. (GB Brethren do lined singing, where there are no notes - just the words to sing. The booklets are a little bigger than a deck of cards.) Usually just of the nature of "So-and-so ❤ so-and-so" and then sometimes a date written next to it.

Is this a common thing elsewhere?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Love notes in hymnals

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:Is this a common thing elsewhere?
No, our hymnals come with the notes already in them. Other than occasional graffiti supplied by the 2-year-olds, they normally don't get written in.

I could see someone inventing a new system of shaped notes, though, with the ❤ and some smilies. :idea:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

sounds very middle-school-ish. :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:sounds very middle-school-ish. :D
High school (or later-ish).
0 x
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Post by Bill Rushby »

Lined singing is an older tradition and slower than shaped-note singing. Other groups which use hymnbooks without notes are: Gaelic-speaking "old order" Scottish Reformed churches, Old Regular Baptists, United Baptists and similar "old order" Baptist fellowships, OO River Brethren, OO Mennonites. I suspect that the traditionalist Hutterites do also. Most churches that use hymnbooks without notes also line their hymns.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Well, in the Baptist church I grew up in, the hymnal covers were all marked up with pen/ marker. The kids would always use the hardback books as trays to rest their bulletins on and draw. Naturally, the pens managed to slip right off the paper and onto the covers quite frequently. I remember one even had gold glitter glue.

Who's idea was it to make a white hymnal anyway?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Well, in the Baptist church I grew up in, the hymnal covers were all marked up with pen/ marker. The kids would always use the hardback books as trays to rest their bulletins on and draw. Naturally, the pens managed to slip right off the paper and onto the covers quite frequently. I remember one even had gold glitter glue.

Who's idea was it to make a white hymnal anyway?
Is that why a "Purple Martin" is purple?

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh

Post by Josh »

Personally I found the choice of lavender / purple to be a rather bold choice, given the allergy some folks have to red, lavender, pink, purple, magenta, and other such hues.
0 x
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Post by Bill Rushby »

In my experience, German Baptist hymnbooks are privately owned and are carried to Meeting each time. I have never observed any "love notes" in hymnbooks but, if found, they would be in books owned by individuals ( think).
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bill Rushby wrote:In my experience, German Baptist hymnbooks are privately owned and are carried to Meeting each time. I have never observed any "love notes" in hymnbooks but, if found, they would be in books owned by individuals ( think).
This doesn't seem to be the custom in New Conference, at least around Dayton.
0 x