Public Displays of Affection (PDA)!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Public Displays of Affection (PDA)!

Post by steve-in-kville »

This older thread started by Signtist caught my eye:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=634

This thread is almost six years old, but yet I feel more comment can be made on it. I didn't come from a "hugging family" yet some of my wife's siblings tend to be that way.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Public Displays of Affection (PDA)!

Post by Soloist »

In the military PDA is forbidden.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville

I thought I read that on carriers and such they have a way around it?
0 x

Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:02 am I thought I read that on carriers and such they have a way around it?
Are you talking “PDA”? Or what they do in the lockers?

Pregnancy on carriers does happen. That’s not PDA though.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville

Soloist wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:21 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:02 am I thought I read that on carriers and such they have a way around it?
Are you talking “PDA”? Or what they do in the lockers?

Pregnancy on carriers does happen. That’s not PDA though.
I guess I was referencing what happens in private. And you're right, that is not the context of this thread :o
0 x

Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Can't hold your wife's hand while you're walking in town. People may not know you are married.

But 2 men kissing in public is perfectly acceptable. And how are people gonna know the pregnant lady at your side is your wife? If you wanna make a no PDA rule, please don't justify it with nonsense like "people might not know she's your wife."
1 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Signtist wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:54 pm Can't hold your wife's hand while you're walking in town. People may not know you are married.

But 2 men kissing in public is perfectly acceptable. And how are people gonna know the pregnant lady at your side is your wife? If you wanna make a no PDA rule, please don't justify it with nonsense like "people might not know she's your wife."
Why should anyone care whether or not someone knows whether she's your wife? Does that matter?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Szdfan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:56 pm
Signtist wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:54 pm Can't hold your wife's hand while you're walking in town. People may not know you are married.

Why should anyone care whether or not someone knows whether she's your wife? Does that matter?
That isn't necessarily a public display of affection. It might instead be a public display of possession :D
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:00 am This older thread started by Signtist caught my eye:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=634

This thread is almost six years old, but yet I feel more comment can be made on it. I didn't come from a "hugging family" yet some of my wife's siblings tend to be that way.
I have no problem with husband and wife holding hands in public. There is a man in church who always has his hands on his wife, and when we stand he has his arm tightly around her, like he is attempting to keep her from running away. And she snuggles up to him like a cat on a lap. It is distracting and weird behavior in a church setting.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Grace wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:23 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:00 am This older thread started by Signtist caught my eye:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=634

I have no problem with husband and wife holding hands in public. There is a man in church who always has his hands on his wife, and when we stand he has his arm tightly around her, like he is attempting to keep her from running away. And she snuggles up to him like a cat on a lap. It is distracting and weird behavior in a church setting.
Context matters :)
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford