Public Displays of Affection (PDA)!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Public Displays of Affection (PDA)!

Post by Josh »

Grace wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:23 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:00 am This older thread started by Signtist caught my eye:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=634

This thread is almost six years old, but yet I feel more comment can be made on it. I didn't come from a "hugging family" yet some of my wife's siblings tend to be that way.
I have no problem with husband and wife holding hands in public. There is a man in church who always has his hands on his wife, and when we stand he has his arm tightly around her, like he is attempting to keep her from running away. And she snuggles up to him like a cat on a lap. It is distracting and weird behavior in a church setting.
I used to know a couple like this in their 50s (I was 13 at the time). It was very off putting. My family went to a charismatic type of church that held evening meetings 5-6 days a week where we would get “slain in the spirit”. Sometimes she and her husband would kiss, which seemed quite peculiar.

Of course, now I regularly see lots of kissing in church.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Szdfan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:44 pm
Grace wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:23 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:00 am This older thread started by Signtist caught my eye:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=634

This thread is almost six years old, but yet I feel more comment can be made on it. I didn't come from a "hugging family" yet some of my wife's siblings tend to be that way.
I have no problem with husband and wife holding hands in public. There is a man in church who always has his hands on his wife, and when we stand he has his arm tightly around her, like he is attempting to keep her from running away. And she snuggles up to him like a cat on a lap. It is distracting and weird behavior in a church setting.
Context matters :)
I find that sort of thing off-putting in ANY public context. Just like I don't like it when gay people make an issue about their sexuality in church, I don't like it when straight people do it also. Maybe I'm just old fashioned or something.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I don't even like it when PDA is done on social networks. If you want to tell your spouse that she or he is "the best", fine, just don't flaunt it in public. It is not necessarily the case for everyone who does it, but it comes off cheap to me, like it's a front, to hide a private relationship issue. (And no, I don't think it is "sweet".)
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Szdfan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:56 pm Why should anyone care whether or not someone knows whether she's your wife? Does that matter?
I have no idea. I'm just repeating what I was taught.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Neto wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:06 am I don't even like it when PDA is done on social networks. If you want to tell your spouse that she or he is "the best", fine, just don't flaunt it in public. It is not necessarily the case for everyone who does it, but it comes off cheap to me, like it's a front, to hide a private relationship issue. (And no, I don't think it is "sweet".)
Fancy you bring this up. Some years ago a man in a leadership position in his church often bragged about how great his marriage was, how his wife and him had no secrets, they had access to each other's cell phones and social account and so on.

Guess what? Guy was a total dirt bag.... he was having multiple affairs with younger women and even flirted with underage girls.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:27 am
Neto wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:06 am I don't even like it when PDA is done on social networks. If you want to tell your spouse that she or he is "the best", fine, just don't flaunt it in public. It is not necessarily the case for everyone who does it, but it comes off cheap to me, like it's a front, to hide a private relationship issue. (And no, I don't think it is "sweet".)
Fancy you bring this up. Some years ago a man in a leadership position in his church often bragged about how great his marriage was, how his wife and him had no secrets, they had access to each other's cell phones and social account and so on.

Guess what? Guy was a total dirt bag.... he was having multiple affairs with younger women and even flirted with underage girls.
I'm going to guess a third phone was involved...
0 x
steve-in-kville

Josh wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:37 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:27 am

I'm going to guess a third phone was involved...
Yup. Burner phone.
0 x

Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:27 amFancy you bring this up. Some years ago a man in a leadership position in his church often bragged about how great his marriage was, how his wife and him had no secrets, they had access to each other's cell phones and social account and so on.

Well that sounds familiar. I know/knew a guy (I try to have a little to do with him as possible) who made a show of his marriage. Not only that but he also ran down other people’s marriages. For example once when another man took a short trip alone for some business he loudly declared that he would never travel anywhere without his wife, implying that the other man might well be “up to something”. Come to discover later that he himself was actually doing quite a lot of traveling alone without his wife…
0 x
steve-in-kville

I knew of an older couple whereas the husband would grab his wife's rear end in public. She didn't seem to mind. caught me off guard the first time I seen it :shock:
0 x

Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:36 pm I knew of an older couple whereas the husband would grab his wife's rear end in public. She didn't seem to mind. caught me off guard the first time I seen it :shock:
Not sure if I should be glad their romance is still alive or be absolutely horrified.
0 x