Moravians: Where do they fit in the puzzle?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Moravians: Where do they fit in the puzzle?

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:50 am
The man I referenced above [-] After the service, he was in banking.
Right in front of the church house? Should have made the loans available BEFORE the service, so's people could put it in the offering plate. :hug:
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

The first missionaries who went out from the colonies (in present day Ukraine, then referred to as 'New Russia' or 'South Russia') were trained by the Moravian mission back in the 'main part' of Europe (South Germany, I think), and also served under their mission, until a Mennonite mission was established. (They mainly served in India.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:51 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:45 am My hometown of Lititz is a well-known Moravian settlement. I only ever knew one man that was part of the church, though. He sat on a lot of boards within the church and the girls school they had.
Were these building under construction at the time, or were those (stacks?) of boards intended as a place to sit? Or was it during auctions, where there were different lots of construction materials? (I've sat on "boards" in Amish funerals a few times. Very memorable.)
;)
What do the Sooners build their pews out of?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:58 pm The first missionaries who went out from the colonies (in present day Ukraine, then referred to as 'New Russia' or 'South Russia') were trained by the Moravian mission back in the 'main part' of Europe (South Germany, I think), and also served under their mission, until a Mennonite mission was established. (They mainly served in India.)
It seems to be a cooperative arrangement, yes?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto

Post by Neto »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:41 pm
Neto wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:58 pm The first missionaries who went out from the colonies (in present day Ukraine, then referred to as 'New Russia' or 'South Russia') were trained by the Moravian mission back in the 'main part' of Europe (South Germany, I think), and also served under their mission, until a Mennonite mission was established. (They mainly served in India.)
It seems to be a cooperative arrangement, yes?
Yes, it was. If I have my facts straight, it was also the Moravians who gave shelter to many Dutch Mennonites (usually called Mennists back then, to distinguish them from the Munsterites) when they were driven from several cities in what is now Holland. So unless I have them mixed up with another group, it was a long-standing relationship. (I'm thinking of the group sponsored by Count Zinzindorf. Maybe I'm mixed up.)
1 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:20 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:45 am My hometown of Lititz is a well-known Moravian settlement. I only ever knew one man that was part of the church, though. He sat on a lot of boards within the church and the girls school they had.
Were these building under construction at the time, or were those (stacks?) of boards intended as a place to sit? Or was it during auctions, where there were different lots of construction materials? (I've sat on "boards" in Amish funerals a few times. Very memorable.)
;)
I guess I'm kinda' dense. (I don't get the joke.)
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:07 pm

;)
Their pews aren't made out of boards? I figured you might sit on boards every time you go to church - unless you go to one of these modern churches that have padded chairs instead of boards to sit on...
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:37 pm
Their pews aren't made out of boards? I figured you might sit on boards every time you go to church - unless you go to one of these modern churches that have padded chairs instead of boards to sit on...
They ditched the unpadded pews in around maybe 98? Then several years ago they replaced the pews with padded chairs. (As a former church house custodian, my first thought was how much harder it would be to sweep the floors in there. But the church house back home, where I was the custodian, only had carpet in the isles. So it was pretty easy to clean.)

The strange thing about padded seats, whether pews or chairs, is that it is also the end of kneeling to pray. Somehow the padded seats terminates the kneeling to pray. And it's even stranger, because along with the padded pews came carpet everywhere. (This is in the church here, not back home.)
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Neto wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:03 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:37 pm

They ditched the unpadded pews in around maybe 98? Then several years ago they replaced the pews with padded chairs. (As a former church house custodian, my first thought was how much harder it would be to sweep the floors in there. But the church house back home, where I was the custodian, only had carpet in the isles. So it was pretty easy to clean.)

The strange thing about padded seats, whether pews or chairs, is that it is also the end of kneeling to pray. Somehow the padded seats terminates the kneeling to pray. And it's even stranger, because along with the padded pews came carpet everywhere. (This is in the church here, not back home.)
I thought that mixed seating hastens the demise of kneeling for prayer. Was this a segregated congregation?
Hadn’t heard that padded pews do the same.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:08 pm I thought that mixed seating hastens the demise of kneeling for prayer. Was this a segregated congregation?
Hadn’t heard that padded pews do the same.
It does - but I would really like someone to explain to me at some point just why it does. (In our congregations we kneel facing forward not backwards - maybe that makes a difference?)

Note that our pews are plushly padded but we still kneel to pray and do have separate seating.
0 x