Moravians: Where do they fit in the puzzle?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Moravians: Where do they fit in the puzzle?

Post by MaxPC »

For the sake of our newest forum member, perhaps we can explore where the Moravians fit in the puzzle of Christianity?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Moravians: Where do they fit in the puzzle?

Post by steve-in-kville »

My hometown of Lititz is a well-known Moravian settlement. I only ever knew one man that was part of the church, though. He sat on a lot of boards within the church and the girls school they had.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Is the Moravian church considered Anabaptist? Radical Reformists? Calvinists? Arminian theology?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

For over five centuries the Moravian Church has proclaimed the gospel in all parts of the world. Its influence has far exceeded its numbers as it has cooperated with Christians on every continent and has been a visible part of the Body of Christ, the Church. Proud of its heritage and firm in its faith, the Moravian Church ministers to the needs of people wherever they are. The name Moravian identifies the fact that this historic church had its origin in ancient Bohemia and Moravia in what is the present-day Czech Republic. In the mid-ninth century these countries converted to Christianity chiefly through the influence of two Greek Orthodox missionaries, Cyril and Methodius. They translated the Bible into the common language and introduced a national church ritual. In the centuries that followed, Bohemia and Moravia gradually fell under the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of Rome, but some of the Czech people protested.

The foremost of Czech reformers, John Hus (1369-1415) was a professor of philosophy and rector of the University in Prague. The Bethlehem Chapel in Prague, where Hus preached, became a rallying place for the Czech reformation. Gaining support from students and the common people, he led a protest movement against many practices of the Roman Catholic clergy and hierarchy. Hus was accused of heresy, underwent a long trial at the Council of Constance, and was burned at the stake on July 6, 1415
Moravians appreciate the significance of both kinds of baptism: The baptism of an adult who has newly become a Christian reminds us that faith is required of all who are baptized. The baptism of a child – particularly the baptism of an infant – reminds us that God’s love precedes any act of faith on our part.
https://www.moravian.org/2018/07/a-bri ... an-church/

Seems like calling them Anabaptist would be misleading at best.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

There is a lot to appreciate and learn from in the Moravian tradition. I am challenged by their mission, zeal and ability to minister cross culture to establish churches in the Native American nations. They tended to live with the people God called them to, even being driven out and marginalized.
1 x
steve-in-kville

Soloist wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:38 am
Seems like calling them Anabaptist would be misleading at best.
The man I referenced above served in the Navy during the Vietnam conflict. So I cannot see them siding with the nonresistant crowd. After the service, he was in banking.

Beyond the Moravian church having a stronghold on politics in my old hometown, I don't much about them.
0 x

MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:50 am
The man I referenced above served in the Navy during the Vietnam conflict. So I cannot see them siding with the nonresistant crowd. After the service, he was in banking.

Beyond the Moravian church having a stronghold on politics in my old hometown, I don't much about them.
They do seem to be a bit of a puzzle within the puzzle. Are the individual congregations united under one organisational umbrella or are they independent of each other? Perhaps somewhere in between the two?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
steve-in-kville

https://lititzmoravian.org/

Looks like they have women pastors, but they also have a handful of traditional Pennsylvania Dutch names on their boards.
1 x

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The MCA is not and never was Anabaptist, but it has always been a “Peace Church”. In terms of present day doctrine it would best be described as mainline Protestant.
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:45 am My hometown of Lititz is a well-known Moravian settlement. I only ever knew one man that was part of the church, though. He sat on a lot of boards within the church and the girls school they had.
Were these building under construction at the time, or were those (stacks?) of boards intended as a place to sit? Or was it during auctions, where there were different lots of construction materials? (I've sat on "boards" in Amish funerals a few times. Very memorable.)
;)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.