Menfolk: Your church's standards on facial hair?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Elmer
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Menfolk: Your church's standards on facial hair?

Post by Elmer »

Wendell Heatwole on Hairstyles, The Beard, and Mustache:
https://www.youtube.com/live/Rg54SJelHrU?feature=shared
1 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Elmer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:16 pmWendell Heatwole on Hairstyles, The Beard, and Mustache: https://www.youtube.com/live/Rg54SJelHrU?feature=shared
Elmer, could you graciously summarize it in a paragraph or two for those of us who don't always have the time to listen to more videos (even at higher speeds, lol). Thanks!
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Elmer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:16 pmWendell Heatwole on Hairstyles, The Beard, and Mustache:
In the absence of a summary, I have managed to listen through half of this one. I was sorely disappointed by the way he attempted to make Scripture specifically imply "uncut" hair for women, but not surprised, I guess. At least whe was gracious about it. Just starting in to the beard section of his talk; he seems relatively open to it, rather than creating some off the wall justification for why they are wrong for Christians today (such as it's a mark of Adam's sin, or one of the others I've encountered). Elmer, would he be SouthEastern, or what is his affiliation?
0 x
Elmer
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by Elmer »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:34 am
Elmer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:16 pmWendell Heatwole on Hairstyles, The Beard, and Mustache:
In the absence of a summary, I have managed to listen through half of this one. I was sorely disappointed by the way he attempted to make Scripture specifically imply "uncut" hair for women, but not surprised, I guess. At least whe was gracious about it. Just starting in to the beard section of his talk; he seems relatively open to it, rather than creating some off the wall justification for why they are wrong for Christians today (such as it's a mark of Adam's sin, or one of the others I've encountered). Elmer, would he be SouthEastern, or what is his affiliation?
He is a bishop in the South Atlantic Conference.
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Elmer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:38 am
He is a bishop in the South Atlantic Conference.
Thank you for clarifying. I was think that our late and beloved MD member Truthseeker (Marcum Yates) might have been the same, down at Ebenezer in South Boston VA, but upon further reflection, Ebenezer is SouthEastern, not SouthAtlantic.

Was this a series of meetings on Mennonite Practices, or just material from revival meetings, or what was the context of the series?
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

I listened to it about half way the other evening. I agree that he dug pretty deep in finding the idea of uncut hair for women in the text. I plan to finish listening, but I expect weak-tea statements about men and beards. It is always interesting to hear clean-shaven conservative Mennonites, who are normally pretty dogmatic even on rather indirect biblical applications, get all wishy-washy when it comes to applying biblical principles regarding men's facial hair.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

mike wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:46 am
I listened to it about half way the other evening. I agree that he dug pretty deep in finding the idea of uncut hair for women in the text. I plan to finish listening, but I expect weak-tea statements about men and beards. It is always interesting to hear clean-shaven conservative Mennonites, who are normally pretty dogmatic even on rather indirect biblical applications, get all wishy-washy when it comes to applying biblical principles regarding men's facial hair.
Mike, with what I've listened to so far, to his credit Wendell explains how allowance for the beard has come into their congregation and acknowledges his own clean-shaveness as a matter of preference, not doctrine.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:49 am
mike wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:46 am
Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:34 amIn the absence of a summary, I have managed to listen through half of this one. I was sorely disappointed by the way he attempted to make Scripture specifically imply "uncut" hair for women, but not surprised, I guess. At least whe was gracious about it. Just starting in to the beard section of his talk; he seems relatively open to it, rather than creating some off the wall justification for why they are wrong for Christians today (such as it's a mark of Adam's sin, or one of the others I've encountered). Elmer, would he be SouthEastern, or what is his affiliation?
Mike, with what I've listened to so far, to his credit Wendell explains how allowance for the beard has come into their congregation and acknowledges his own clean-shaveness as a matter of preference, not doctrine.
Yes, that was nice. My own conference is similar except that we still outlaw mustaches. There's some movement in CM conferences on that issue, such as Pilgrim which recently accepted mustaches in districts where the bishop approves (so I hear, anyway).
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

mike wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:55 am
Yes, that was nice. My own conference is similar except that we still outlaw mustaches. There's some movement in CM conferences on that issue, such as Pilgrim which recently accepted mustaches in districts where the bishop approves (so I hear, anyway).
Out of curiosity, does your church dictate anything on beard styles or length? The mustache thing I can kinda see being an issue.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

mike wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:55 am
Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:49 am
mike wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:46 amI listened to it about half way the other evening. I agree that he dug pretty deep in finding the idea of uncut hair for women in the text. I plan to finish listening, but I expect weak-tea statements about men and beards. It is always interesting to hear clean-shaven conservative Mennonites, who are normally pretty dogmatic even on rather indirect biblical applications, get all wishy-washy when it comes to applying biblical principles regarding men's facial hair.
Yes, they've come a long way. I remember talking to Jean Martin (Sarasota, FL) when he came out and held meetings for the Menno plant in Rio Linda, CA (which has since split and scattered) - he actually had to present a paper to his ministry explaining why he was convicted to grow his beard, and ask permission before they would let him do so. Seemed a little silly coming from my background, but then I was just getting into Menno circles at that point, so I wasn't yet wholly aware of some of those good ole conservative Menno dynamics.
0 x