Influences of Wesleyan Holiness Movement?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Influences of Wesleyan Holiness Movement?

Post by MaxPC »

An article in Wikipedia makes the claim that
The Holiness movement, also known as the Wesleyan–Holiness movement, is a Christian movement that emerged chiefly within 19th-century Methodism, and to a lesser extent influenced other traditions such as Quakerism, Anabaptism, and Restorationism.
Article Link

As an Anabaptist do you agree with this assessment? Disagree?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Influences of Wesleyan Holiness Movement?

Post by steve-in-kville »

We have a Holiness church nearby, not sure sire which "strain" of holiness, though, as I think there are a few varieties out there.

Unsure what influences they have on us, other than it appears to be a refuge for the more conservative Brethren folks that fly the coop. That's about all I know about them.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

I had an odd encounter with someone at KFW this year. He tried to tell me that I wouldn't fit in with the Charity or Mennonite churches I'd been visiting because of my wedding band and tattoo. Then he started talking very disparagingly about the doctrine of nonresistance, calling it an unrealistic pipe dream and letting me know that he was offering a more grounded church experience. I was surprised because it was not an encounter I expected to have at KFW since I assumed nonresistance was one of the core things that bound together much of the anabaptist tradition (even the more liberal arm like MCUSA). Turns out he was never associated with an anabaptist tradition, he came up in the holiness tradition. KFW is held at the Roxbury Holiness Camp, owned and operated by Holiness Weslyans, so I think he attended each year and made some great connections there. I doubt he makes a big deal about nonresistance to everyone there; I felt like he brought it up because I was a seeker.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:27 pm I had an odd encounter with someone at KFW this year. He tried to tell me that I wouldn't fit in with the Charity or Mennonite churches I'd been visiting because of my wedding band and tattoo. Then he started talking very disparagingly about the doctrine of nonresistance, calling it an unrealistic pipe dream and letting me know that he was offering a more grounded church experience. I was surprised because it was not an encounter I expected to have at KFW since I assumed nonresistance was one of the core things that bound together much of the anabaptist tradition (even the more liberal arm like MCUSA). Turns out he was never associated with an anabaptist tradition, he came up in the holiness tradition. KFW is held at the Roxbury Holiness Camp, owned and operated by Holiness Weslyans, so I think he attended each year and made some great connections there. I doubt he makes a big deal about nonresistance to everyone there; I felt like he brought it up because I was a seeker.
If it's the same person I'm thinking of, sometimes he gets up and asks a question that is more like a comment where he attempts to promote the doctrine of a second work of grace / sanctification. He really likes conservative Holinessism and is eager to convert any Anabaptists he can find to his ways.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:48 am An article in Wikipedia makes the claim that
The Holiness movement, also known as the Wesleyan–Holiness movement, is a Christian movement that emerged chiefly within 19th-century Methodism, and to a lesser extent influenced other traditions such as Quakerism, Anabaptism, and Restorationism.
Article Link

A great deal of conservative Anabaptist (but not Old Order) traditions result squarely from the Holiness movement, including:

- Sunday schools (although this movement was present in other movements at the time as well)
- Protracted meetings
- Revival meetings
- Altar calls
- Avoiding tobacco and alcohol
- Not dancing, not playing cards
- The idea of wearing "modest" attire but not a specific archaic type of clothing or just to keep traditions.
- The idea that women should wear skirts/dresses as opposed to wearing slacks/pants.
- Women wearing uncut hair & wearing their hair up as if it is somehow holier than being let down.
- Men only wearing long pants, not short ones.
- Avoidance of the television. (For various reasons Holiness people didn't avoid the radio.)
- The idea that a "crisis conversion experience" is necessary to be born again.
- Going out into public places and passing out tracts.

The list could go on and on.
2 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

The holiness movement came at a time of spiritual poverty for the American Anabaptists and maybe for the American church in general and left a powerful legacy of renewal. But I propose there was also a dark side as well. Beneath the conviction of the need for change lies a pride that those who don't join or have different visions are wrong or evil and "we" are the lonely few who understand reality. I see the fruit of this today in the Anabaptist and Evangelical churches.
2 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:59 am The holiness movement came at a time of spiritual poverty for the American Anabaptists and maybe for the American church in general and left a powerful legacy of renewal. But I propose there was also a dark side as well. Beneath the conviction of the need for change lies a pride that those who don't join or have different visions are wrong or evil and "we" are the lonely few who understand reality. I see the fruit of this today in the Anabaptist and Evangelical churches.
The “church of God” and “church of Christ” movements happened as the same time as Wesleyan Holiness revivalism and heavily influenced it. The former two have strong strains of one-true-churchism.

Revivalism ended up having a strain of OTC in it that basically anyone who doesn’t agree isn’t part of the true church (the most obvious example is anyone who isn’t Catholic isn’t Christian/a true church, but also groups like Old Orders to this day get castigated as not actually being saved).
1 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:06 pm
MaxPC wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:48 am An article in Wikipedia makes the claim that
Article Link

A great deal of conservative Anabaptist (but not Old Order) traditions result squarely from the Holiness movement, including:

- Sunday schools (although this movement was present in other movements at the time as well)
- Protracted meetings
- Revival meetings
- Altar calls
- Avoiding tobacco and alcohol
- Not dancing, not playing cards
- The idea of wearing "modest" attire but not a specific archaic type of clothing or just to keep traditions.
- The idea that women should wear skirts/dresses as opposed to wearing slacks/pants.
- Women wearing uncut hair & wearing their hair up as if it is somehow holier than being let down.
- Men only wearing long pants, not short ones.
- Avoidance of the television. (For various reasons Holiness people didn't avoid the radio.)
- The idea that a "crisis conversion experience" is necessary to be born again.
- Going out into public places and passing out tracts.

The list could go on and on.
Did not avoid the radio because their favorite preacher was on it.

No, you have most of the list. Add "no mixed bathing" and "Simple, bordering on crude church buildings" to your list and you have my former church. A.W. Tozer, on entering a concrete block church, with a crude canvas roof (A typical C&MA church of the period) "I trust people will find God here, for they certainly won't find anything else."

What happened to many of these churches, they got a fancy new building, put golden candlesticks on the communion table, put robes on the choir and relaxed their programs of evangelism.

They had become "respectable." They also shrank by 30-40% over two decades.
1 x
:hug:
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Where would Holiness stand on patriotism and serving in the military? I know of a few that are in law enforcement, so I wouldn't be shocked if they are at liberty to serve their country.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:04 am Where would Holiness stand on patriotism and serving in the military? I know of a few that are in law enforcement, so I wouldn't be shocked if they are at liberty to serve their country.
Would that vary by congregation or denomination?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God