Who is Your Brother-

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Who is Your Brother-

Post by Josh »

There are some former Amish I know of on facebook that have changed their position on this and around Memorial Day was sharing their regrets for not being willing to serve-
What were they regretting? Not being in Vietnam?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:
There are some former Amish I know of on facebook that have changed their position on this and around Memorial Day was sharing their regrets for not being willing to serve-
What were they regretting? Not being in Vietnam?
They didn't say specifically, the one who started the post is about 65 so probably- and then a couple others chimed in- and in honoring our service men-
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

A year ago I had a man come in the shop I work in, he called me brother and then afterwards went on to use some foul language. Before I answered him I told him, "I believe you are mistaken about us being brothers."
He asked, "What do you mean?"
I answered, "My brother wouldn't use that kind of language."
He stared at me for moment, maybe waiting for a smile? When I didn't budge; he asked, "How do you keep such a disposition in a place like this?"
My answer, "Through Jesus Christ."
He seemed a little satisfied with my answer and then continued on looking for what he needed.

I'd have to say I feel more strongly against murder (which is what war essentially is).

Time to go back to scripture and let it be the judge as in Romans 1 and read that even those that approve of such things are worthy of death...
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Everyone should know that Jesus cares about the words we use... its not that uncommon to have an understanding that Christians should not have foul mouth speech. The same is not always true about war and non-resistance. Doesn't make it less true, but I would personally be cautious about saying someone who went to war or is going to war is not a Christian. It really depends on if they have been shown the truth and what they chose to do about it.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I do not believe divorce and remarriage is sanctioned by scripture - but I do have a friend that I consider a brother and a true believer who is divorced and remarried. Personally I would have found a place in our brotherhood for his family in spite of his second marriage.

I do not believe in dispensation teaching and much of what goes with that. I do not believe in the doctrine of eternal security or OSAS but I do have Plymouth Brethern type friends who I consider to be brothers and sisters in Christ. The life that they live and most of the fruits put some of us Anabaptist people to shame.

Even though I consider them as brothers, I would not consider greeting them with "the right hand of fellowship" which to us includes the kiss of peace as well.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Hats Off wrote:I do not believe divorce and remarriage is sanctioned by scripture - but I do have a friend that I consider a brother and a true believer who is divorced and remarried. Personally I would have found a place in our brotherhood for his family in spite of his second marriage.
I think I see the deeper side of what you are saying here and it seems like there are a couple brothers like you in each church we have been too...
I wish there were more...
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Wade wrote:A year ago I had a man come in the shop I work in, he called me brother and then afterwards went on to use some foul language. Before I answered him I told him, "I believe you are mistaken about us being brothers."
He asked, "What do you mean?"
I answered, "My brother wouldn't use that kind of language."
He stared at me for moment, maybe waiting for a smile? When I didn't budge; he asked, "How do you keep such a disposition in a place like this?"
My answer, "Through Jesus Christ."
He seemed a little satisfied with my answer and then continued on looking for what he needed.

I'd have to say I feel more strongly against murder (which is what war essentially is).

Time to go back to scripture and let it be the judge as in Romans 1 and read that even those that approve of such things are worthy of death...
Wade, I appreciate that you stood by (and stand by) your convictions, perhaps your words penetrated his heart, I hope so.

Just to say that Christians outside of Anabaptism make this distinction- Murder and war are not the same thing. God gave the 10 commandments to Israel - the 6th commandment "thou shall not kill" (or murder in some translations)- and even giving this commandment, God directly commanded them to go to war and kill other nations, every man, woman and child- this was God's command- so right away we see a distinction in what He commanded 'thou shalt not kill' as a difference if one is going to war- most Christians I know recognize the difference between war and murder, especially since God obviously approved of war in the Old Testament, commanded it, and Jesus will come again as a warrior with His army from heaven. At least that is how I see it, and others who hold a different understanding between murder & serving their country. God would be contradicting Himself, if He broke His own commandment by sending Israel to war, after giving them the commandment not to kill.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Kind of hard to love someone when you're demonizing them and trying to wipe them off the face of the earth, don't you think?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Kind of hard to love someone when you're demonizing them and trying to wipe them off the face of the earth, don't you think?
Well- I was pointing out God. He is the one who gave the commandment not to kill and turned right around and told Israel to kill- there is a distinction and the way you put it, is not the same way as defending one's country in the view of many Christians. I don't demonize our Lord for commanding people to kill either- that would be hideous. I also don't 'demonize' a brother if he feels called to serve and being willing to lay his life down, that others might live- some feel this way about it, in my view, that is not demonic. For me it was surprising to see former Amish honoring our service men and women and being thankful for them- but I have read that in the early church there were soldiers-so I don't know if this would be a case of personal conviction or not- but I don't think it is blatant 'sin' to see it the way as many do.

This is what I mean by 'infallible' as I think I am gathering there is no room for interpretation on this. I remember a Baptist preacher, years ago, passing around tracts- I brought up the Anabapts to him, (because I had read about the Baptists in the Mennonites in Europe Book) and I shared with him how Anabaptists do not believe we should ever be engaged in military or war- and he looked at me and very seriously said "They are wrong". It truly is a difference in interpretation about the difference between murder, and defending one's country- many even see it as being willing to die to save others- so I can see both sides of this and not see either as 'sin' because I know that our Lord commanded people to kill and He will again- I am not sure about the in-between, I just don't cast off others as outside the Kingdom if they have a different understanding about this- and I really do not think God does either. Too many testimonies would indicate differently-
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Jesus told us not to kill.
0 x