Church School

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
gracefortoday
Affiliation: Mennonite

Church School

Post by gracefortoday »

Does anyone here send your children to a church school with a female principal and male teachers under her? Is it working out? Is it Biblical? Just curious.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Re: Church School

Post by QuietlyListening »

Around here we have many varieties/denominations/nondenominational Christian schools and to my knowledge they all have male principals and/or male head masters. Teachers are male and female.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Way of Jesus elementary, a CA school in Lancaster City, has a female principal. My son works for her. He appreciates her leadership.
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

I think in many schools there are female teachers who would be more qualified for the job of principal than a male that is given the job. But it certainly wouldn't do to have females in that role if there is a male teacher, so....
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I used to go to a Mid-West church that had a church with a female headmistress. To be frank, the school was a lot better under her leadership than it is now.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I remember one year at the school I went to, there was one older lady in charge for one year. It was after I graduated.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Nope, not around here. In some schools, the principle is often the bishop or an ordained man. He may or may not teach a class. Depends on the arrangement.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:28 am Nope, not around here. In some schools, the principle is often the bishop or an ordained man. He may or may not teach a class. Depends on the arrangement.
We don't have a headmaster or principal per se, although often the most senior or experienced teacher sort of functions like one. Other than that, the school board functions as the person in charge, but exists as a flat board (technically there is a chairman but they aren't more powerful than the other board members). An ordained man (either minister or deacon) also sits on the board as a special "ordained person who is on the school board" position. They are not expected to be involved in all day to day school board decisions such as arranging to get the grass mowed at the school or to fix a plumbing leak at the teacher house.

In function, the men on the school board function as married couples, so the school board ends up being actually a board of married men and women in equal numbers. I think this sort of "flat" governance model works better than the model of having a strong executive. It's an example of a hybrid congregational-conference model.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:59 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:28 am Nope, not around here. In some schools, the principle is often the bishop or an ordained man. He may or may not teach a class. Depends on the arrangement.
We don't have a headmaster or principal per se, although often the most senior or experienced teacher sort of functions like one. Other than that, the school board functions as the person in charge, but exists as a flat board (technically there is a chairman but they aren't more powerful than the other board members). An ordained man (either minister or deacon) also sits on the board as a special "ordained person who is on the school board" position. They are not expected to be involved in all day to day school board decisions such as arranging to get the grass mowed at the school or to fix a plumbing leak at the teacher house.

In function, the men on the school board function as married couples, so the school board ends up being actually a board of married men and women in equal numbers. I think this sort of "flat" governance model works better than the model of having a strong executive. It's an example of a hybrid congregational-conference model.
This is very similar to how our schools operate. One difference is that the all of the ordained men are "on" the school board. Which means that they are on the group chats, and are welcome to attend meetings. But they are not given any duties nor are ever chairman, nor are required to give input. They are advisory, and collectively they hold one vote.
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

The real answer to "is it biblical" really depends on what is the question. yes, i know you asked one.
Well, how often did Christ directly address how to administer or run a school.
Frankly, that's your answer.

In a setting like EPMC, where the church runs EVERY aspect of life, school is just an extension of the church/bishops/ministry so no, they'd say it wasn't biblical to have a woman be principle.

So, oddly, why would even as organized and hierachial a church as the Roman Catholic allow women principals? Because they don't see the school, even when run to Catholic standards, as part of the church itself.

I think that's your real answer. It's about your worldview, and your church's worldview, and I don't think Jesus would have a set rule.
0 x