Character traits in people that are an instant turn-off?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Character traits in people that are an instant turn-off?

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:54 am
Josh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:04 am Can’t stand those people. Let me tell you about some of them.
:)
:lol:

mike wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:45 am People that have strong opinions on literally everything.

I have an acquaintance that I listen to on the phone. I can hardly say we talk, because I have learned that when I bring up a topic, it just sets them off on a long dissertation on how X must be done, the way X really is, how you should look at X, etc. So I have learned just to listen and not say much.
This can be a characteristic of hearing problems, too.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:33 am
RZehr wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:54 am
Josh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:04 am Can’t stand those people. Let me tell you about some of them.
:)

mike wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:45 am People that have strong opinions on literally everything.

I have an acquaintance that I listen to on the phone. I can hardly say we talk, because I have learned that when I bring up a topic, it just sets them off on a long dissertation on how X must be done, the way X really is, how you should look at X, etc. So I have learned just to listen and not say much.
Selective hearing ?
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Grace wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:02 pm
temporal1 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:33 am
RZehr wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:54 am :)

Selective hearing ?
For sure, that, too. :lol:

i try to be careful IRL, i experienced this with my aging father, now i’m havng some hearing problems, because i’m often alone, it doesn’t seem urgent. (i so dislike the idea of anything in my ears.) i try to be vigilant when i’m with others, i know how annoying it can be. i try to control volume and tone .. never sure if i’m getting it right. i often quickly explain, “sorry, my hearing isn’t the best,” which helps an awful lot. lots of people say, “mine, too!”

i read more coverage may be coming for hearing aids. now i’m kinda waiting to hear more about that. $$
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:24 pm i read more coverage may be coming for hearing aids. now i’m kinda waiting to hear more about that. $$
OTC hearing aids are a relatively new category that sound promising (and relatively economical). Hopefully by the time I'm ready for them they'll have a "foe" feature for instant turn-off when someone you're not interested in listening to starts speaking.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:41 pm
temporal1 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:24 pm i read more coverage may be coming for hearing aids. now i’m kinda waiting to hear more about that. $$
OTC hearing aids are a relatively new category that sound promising (and relatively economical). Hopefully by the time I'm ready for them they'll have a "foe" feature for instant turn-off when someone you're not interested in listening to starts speaking.
:lol: no kidding.
as my husband began losing memory, he came home from work one day with the happy revelation, “this is great! - why do i need to remember so much, anyway?!” his accepting, cheerful attitude made everything so much easier.

i admit thinking, maybe young marrieds would have an easier time of it, if their memories weren’t “so great?!” :shock: :P
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The ones at the Verizon store nearby are surprisingly inexpensive and seem to work well. Meanwhile expensive prescription ones from Costco seem to malfunction a lot…
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:09 pm
The ones at the Verizon store nearby are surprisingly inexpensive and seem to work well. Meanwhile expensive prescription ones from Costco seem to malfunction a lot…
There’s huge variety, including wrt costs, all with claims of greatness.
i guess i need to do some research. i knew nothing about Verizon. :mrgreen:
0 x

UNKNOWN
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

People who want to tolerate and accept everything and who think the truth should be sugar coated to not discourage someone. These people can’t be trusted…

I love it when people tell me the hard truth. They are honest!
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

People who make a joke of everything. People who everything they say is innuendo. People who are overly friendly. Screaming kids. I'm sure there is lots more. I'm not as tolerant as i used to be. People who know everything whether they make it up or not. People who think they are God's greatest gift to women. Sarcastic and snide remarks, and there are a lot of them here on mn. Me included. I will say that so no one else has too. Want me to continue?
3 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

I bought a pair for my dad because he has difficulty hearing during group discussions at church. They work great for that, and you can adjust the mode specifically for certain situations, such as group conversations or person to person. He still doesn't like wearing them regularly, and so only uses them for church.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3