Anabaptist Disciples of Christ

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Anabaptist Disciples of Christ

Post by ohio jones »

ragpicker wrote:Doesn't really matter, as we are out.
Are you joining another group, or embracing the lonely road?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

ohio jones wrote:
ragpicker wrote:Doesn't really matter, as we are out.
Are you joining another group, or embracing the lonely road?
Dunno. I think everyone agrees isolation is not what we're looking for.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Ms. Izzie wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:On the other hand if they embrace more traditional Anabaptist thinking, it may feel like worldliness and liberal theology to the reformed crowd.
Could explain in more detail exactly what would feel like worldliness and liberal theology to the reformed crowd?
An example would be the judgment scene in Matthew 25, where Jesus separates the sheep from the goats based on how they have treated "the least of these". Traditional anabaptist thinking affirms that how we treat "the least of these" affects where we will be in eternity. To Reformed people (and evangelicals, to a lesser degree), this is "works salvation". It's also "liberalism" to them because they hear liberals selectively quote Jesus' ethical teachings and then support immorality.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

cmbl wrote:
Ms. Izzie wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:On the other hand if they embrace more traditional Anabaptist thinking, it may feel like worldliness and liberal theology to the reformed crowd.
Could explain in more detail exactly what would feel like worldliness and liberal theology to the reformed crowd?
An example would be the judgment scene in Matthew 25, where Jesus separates the sheep from the goats based on how they have treated "the least of these". Traditional anabaptist thinking affirms that how we treat "the least of these" affects where we will be in eternity. To Reformed people (and evangelicals, to a lesser degree), this is "works salvation". It's also "liberalism" to them because they hear liberals selectively quote Jesus' ethical teachings and then support immorality.
Yes to this...another big sticking point is Penal Substitutionary Atonement. Rejecting that model, as the exclusive summation of "the gospel," feels like leaving the "old time religion" and also embracing a "works religion." Also, a Christocentric hermeneutic that subserviates portions of scripture to the life and witness of Jesus, feels like to devaluing the "holy scriptures" to them and embracing a liberal view of "God's Word."
0 x
Ms. Izzie
Affiliation: CA

Post by Ms. Izzie »

Sorry about letting the word "you" take a hike in my original question. :)

I have been wondering for the last couple of years what it is about Anabaptists that spawns so many flavors of Anabaptism. This thread itself is yet another flavor. Just... why?
0 x
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Post by QuietObserver »

Ms. Izzie wrote:Sorry about letting the word "you" take a hike in my original question. :)

I have been wondering for the last couple of years what it is about Anabaptists that spawns so many flavors of Anabaptism. This thread itself is yet another flavor. Just... why?
The narcissism of small differences
0 x
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

I can’t help but think of AC DC when I see this.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

ragpicker wrote:I can’t help but think of AC DC when I see this.
Anabaptist Conservative Disciples in Christ.

There...I fixed I for you...
0 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

joshuabgood wrote:
ragpicker wrote:I can’t help but think of AC DC when I see this.
Anabaptist Conservative Disciples in Christ.

There...I fixed I for you...
Black cars, black hats, black nylons, black suits
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ms. Izzie wrote:I have been wondering for the last couple of years what it is about Anabaptists that spawns so many flavors of Anabaptism. This thread itself is yet another flavor. Just... why?
Is it significantly different from conservative Protestantism? I think any group that puts a lot of emphasis on coming to the right conclusion about the Text will end up splintering a lot.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"