Anabaptist Disciples of Christ

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Anabaptist Disciples of Christ

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:Maybe I have some wires crossed, but didn't a few BMA groups go off on their own? Is this the same movement?
No, these are former Beachy folks who could no longer vote at the Beachy minister's meetings because they allowed their members to regularly listen to radio broadcasts.

http://anabaptistdisciplesofchrist.org/
Scroll down to see list of congregations.

They are much like BMA but have a stronger Amish-Mennonite flavor.
Really, where is the division in Beachy where radios start to appear. I guess they would have problems with my shortwave.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Fidelio wrote:
Ernie wrote:
Wow, Interesting. I attended Bethel Fellowship, Berlin OH, last August on my vacation. The don't do separate seating of men and women.

Most churches in my conference do not either, and we would be in the "Moderate Conservative" camp.

J.M.
My experience is rather limited to three churches: The ACCA congregation I have been attending since March, Bethel in Berlin OH (August 2019), and Weavertown Amish Mennonite in Bird in Hand PA (August 2018).
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Fidelio wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Fidelio wrote:
Wow, Interesting. I attended Bethel Fellowship, Berlin OH, last August on my vacation. The don't do separate seating of men and women.

Most churches in my conference do not either, and we would be in the "Moderate Conservative" camp.

J.M.
My experience is rather limited to three churches: The ACCA congregation I have been attending since March, Bethel in Berlin OH (August 2019), and Weavertown Amish Mennonite in Bird in Hand PA (August 2018).
Yeah, I know Weavertown, did you have to dodge the tourists?

Seriously, in my experience, it seems to be getting less common over the past 5 years. Maybe it is just where I show up.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Fidelio wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:

J.M.
Yeah, I know Weavertown, did you have to dodge the tourists?

Seriously, in my experience, it seems to be getting less common over the past 5 years. Maybe it is just where I show up.

J.M.
I think we were the only tourists there that Sunday morning. We stayed at an RV park up a big hill on a dead end road out of Intercourse. Nice and quiet, away from the busy tourist areas.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Some of the Beachys where I live seem to be adopting very small head coverings - doily sized similar to the CMC before they made the covering optional. Interestingly, some of these people still only wear solids.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:Maybe I have some wires crossed, but didn't a few BMA groups go off on their own? Is this the same movement?
No, these are former Beachy folks who could no longer vote at the Beachy minister's meetings because they allowed their members to regularly listen to radio broadcasts.
About the time that radio is rapidly fading from relevance as a means of mass communication they finally get around to allowing it!

Studies show rapid decline in radio listening globally: https://celebrityaccess.com/2019/07/19/ ... -globally/
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote:
Ernie wrote:
About the time that radio is rapidly fading from relevance as a means of mass communication they finally get around to allowing it!

Studies show rapid decline in radio listening globally: https://celebrityaccess.com/2019/07/19/ ... -globally/
Then it isn't worldly anymore, so it's okay!
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

They are Beachy 2.0. Similar to BMA but less top down (as an example they permit shorts as congregational decisions ) and less reformed influence. And an Amish Beachy flavor. I know some of the leaders and am familiar with some of the congregations. Churches that consider them also often consider BMA.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ken wrote:
Ernie wrote:

The various constituencies may draw lines at particular places, but the lines are indicative of a distance from the world in other areas as well.

Here are some general descriptions... there are exceptions of course...

ultra-conservatives = most allow acapella only recordings; do not attend concerts; internet use for business only; very limited youth activities; coverings are quite large

intermediate-conservatives = do not allow radio; do not attend or watch professional sports; do not give their blessing to folks who want to take the two-year programs at Faith Builders, etc. (attending college for a nursing degree is permitted), monitored youth activities; coverings not as large

moderate-conservatives = allow radio, watch professional sports via internet, require a couple pieces of distinctive clothing such as cape dresses and plain suits, support Faith Builders, require white head-coverings, youth groups are the norm; coverings are rather small

progressive-conservatives = allow TV, allow participation in major league sports, sing in bands, don't require distinctive clothing, don't require white headcoverings, many young adults wear very small head coverings and aren't sure that head-covering should be practiced today, but they keep doing it (at least for awhile) just in case it is for today.

You can read more here...https://www.churchplantersforum.org/wp- ... People.pdf
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

joshuabgood wrote:Similar to BMA but less top down (as an example they permit shorts as congregational decisions )
There were people in our church supporting staying with BMA that also wore shorts. I pointed out that if we stay, their ability to do so was coming to an end. Someone came back and said my concerns were overblown, that shorts were not prohibited, nor were they going to be. (This was not a dispute, just conversation. I don't even remember who came back with that.) I shrugged my shoulders and thought maybe somehow I was confused. No big deal, and we ended up leaving anyway.

Now you allude to this, and appear to have the same impression I did. I dunno... Don't really care more than mild curiosity.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.