The Anabaptist perception on....

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Your favorite variety of pickles! Pick two (2).

Bread & Butter
22%
Dill
41%
Lime
No votes
Million Dollar
No votes
Seven Day
3%
Sweet
6%
Mustard
No votes
Dill Garlic
16%
Something not listed
9%
I don't eat pickles
3%

Total votes: 32

Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: The Anabaptist perception on....

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:40 pm
Valerie wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:26 pm Hot garlic pickles. Our store carries those. A customer was being 4 jars and explained whenever he gets a sore throat, he starts eating them & his sore throat goes away ,& never develops into getting sick. Made sense, as a child grandma said garlic for sore throats. So, hot garlic, good to have during cold & flu season.

Never heard of most of those.
Once when I had a bad cold another missionary lady told me that I could get rid of it right away if I ate an entire garlic. By the time I got to the third clove I got an intense pain in my jaw (below my ears), like a clinching pf the muscles. Never tried that again.

When I start to get an upset stomach, I eat pickled jalapeno pepper slices on a chip, and that cures it for me. (It seems to straighten out some sort of imbalance in the natural bacteria in my digestive system.)
Maybe it wasn't related to the garlic though, the vinegar in pulled jalapeño may help the stomach, apple cider vinegar has health benefits but seems Luke it would be much on an upset stomach. We get ginger for a queasy stomach, candied ginger recommended that, works fast!
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:22 pm
Valerie wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:26 pm Hot garlic pickles. Our store carries those. A customer was being 4 jars and explained whenever he gets a sore throat, he starts eating them & his sore throat goes away ,& never develops into getting sick. Made sense, as a child grandma said garlic for sore throats. So, hot garlic, good to have during cold & flu season.

Once when I had a bad cold another missionary lady told me that I could get rid of it right away if I ate an entire garlic. By the time I got to the third clove I got an intense pain in my jaw (below my ears), like a clinching pf the muscles. Never tried that again.

When I start to get an upset stomach, I eat pickled jalapeno pepper slices on a chip, and that cures it for me. (It seems to straighten out some sort of imbalance in the natural bacteria in my digestive system.)
Garlic is one of my wife’s remedies for the family. She keeps a jar of chopped garlic and honey in the icebox. We take a spoonful when we start feel the croup.
Dr. Weeks flu shot: warm cup of water, 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar, Clive of mixed garlic, TBLSP raw honey, optional red pepper flakes. Down the hatch daily.
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:06 pm

Garlic is one of my wife’s remedies for the family. She keeps a jar of chopped garlic and honey in the icebox. We take a spoonful when we start feel the croup.
Dr. Weeks flu shot: warm cup of water, 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar, Clive of mixed garlic, TBLSP raw honey, optional red pepper flakes. Down the hatch daily.
That sound like about enough to give a person the flu!
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:03 pm Maybe it wasn't related to the garlic though, the vinegar in pulled jalapeño may help the stomach, apple cider vinegar has health benefits but seems Luke it would be much on an upset stomach.
Luke's prescription for stomach troubles was a little wine.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Valerie wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:03 pm

Maybe it wasn't related to the garlic though, the vinegar in pulled jalapeño may help the stomach, apple cider vinegar has health benefits but seems Luke it would be much on an upset stomach. We get ginger for a queasy stomach, candied ginger recommended that, works fast!
There's very little vinegar involved by the time I fish the sliced garlic pickles out of the jar.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

As I don't like the taste of vinegar, I don't enjoy pickles. However, I'm happy to grow cucumbers for those who do.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Valerie wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:03 pm
Apple cider vinegar solves a lot of digestive issues, believe or not. I used to put a few tablespoons in my water bottle once a day. It apparently balances the PH value in the body.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:40 am
Valerie wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:03 pm Maybe it wasn't related to the garlic though, the vinegar in pulled jalapeño may help the stomach, apple cider vinegar has health benefits but seems Luke it would be much on an upset stomach.
Luke's prescription for stomach troubles was a little wine.
You mean a little grape juice. :lol:
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:05 am
You know what? We are a "down the hatch" type couple. We will do these yucky things including that, aloeVera juice or gel (1/4 cup) and cod liver oil (not all together). At 65 neither of us ever get cold or flu (except covid!) & I'm exposed daily to a vast # of people so you can endure these things "for the good"- we never gave to buy medicines, nor.miss call off sick etc. You can do this!!
Admittedly I am not always diligentl until it seems time to be season wise. My hubby & I both had chronic pain, me in my thumb up through side of hand. He had a problem where he could only raise one arm so high. We did not expect this, but not long after we started taking cod liver oil both of our issues completely gone! Dr. Weeks said everyone should take cod liver oil, so we gave it a try & those changes alone made it worth it.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Valerie wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:03 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:05 am

You know what? We are a "down the hatch" type couple. We will do these yucky things including that, aloeVera juice or gel (1/4 cup) and cod liver oil (not all together). At 65 neither of us ever get cold or flu (except covid!) & I'm exposed daily to a vast # of people so you can endure these things "for the good"- we never gave to buy medicines, nor.miss call off sick etc. You can do this!!
Admittedly I am not always diligentl until it seems time to be season wise. My hubby & I both had chronic pain, me in my thumb up through side of hand. He had a problem where he could only raise one arm so high. We did not expect this, but not long after we started taking cod liver oil both of our issues completely gone! Dr. Weeks said everyone should take cod liver oil, so we gave it a try & those changes alone made it worth it.
Fish oil capsules are the current equivalent of cod liver oil. Indeed we did endure the CLO as children: awful stuff. I am happy to take the capsules now.

My wife's garlic honey medicinal is as follows: In a pint jar, place 4-6 cloves (depending upon size) of garlic, chopped. Use raw honey to fill to the first lip (1/2 inch from top). Keep in the refrigerator until needed.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God