Time for a headcovering thread!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Time for a headcovering thread!

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:55 pm
RZehr wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:39 pm Why did the Holdeman and Tampico want to merge? What did each side hope to gain?
At the time, nearly all Amish were becoming very worldly, or else went in an evangelical direction (often becoming worldly too). This was before the conservative Mennonite movement existed which started in the 1950s.

The Tampico underwent a revival around the 1920s (I think) and found themselves very similar in doctrine and practice to the Holdemans, including the element of spiritual revival. They are unique in that, like the Holdemans, they did not participate in the overall revivalist and fundamentalist movements that predominated circa 1900.
Oh. I thought that this was something in recent days.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:01 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:57 amSome random observations:

I remember the Dunkard Brethren fussin' over strings on coverings. The younger generation didn't think it was needed as no one used them for their original purpose and it was just one big loop anyway. Older generation was afraid if we took the strings away, coverings would get smaller. Twenty years later, the strings were no longer required. Fancy that.
If I understood correctly, Dunkard Brethren also gave liberty at their annual conference last year for sisters to choose their own style of headcovering. Not sure if that was on a congregation by congregation basis (where some would grant said liberty and others not, or if it was wide open) - Steve, do you know?
I have confirmed this. My source tells me it was happening out in the west coast congregations for the past few years, but it was recently approved conference wide. They are allowed white veils but, as always, some are pushing it and wearing black.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

My SIL and her husband belong to a Mennonite church in the south, similar to what Hope or Pilgrim would be in my area. They served in central America in the mission field for a spell, and she was allowed to wear a black hanging veil while down there. But as soon as she was state side, she had to wear her typical mesh covering.

Eventually that church adopted the hanging veil, but white only.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:59 amMy SIL and her husband belong to a Mennonite church in the south, similar to what Hope or Pilgrim would be in my area. They served in central America in the mission field for a spell, and she was allowed to wear a black hanging veil while down there. But as soon as she was state side, she had to wear her typical mesh covering.

Eventually that church adopted the hanging veil, but white only.
We encountered this when we visited Honduras, and when some Belizean sisters we know came up to the US to attend school as well. Stateside denominational identity enforcement creates multiple problems, it seems...
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Wear kapps during the week but add hanging veils during church services. This eliminates any desire by the laity to change from kapps to veils. 8-)
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:12 am Wear kapps during the week but add hanging veils during church services. This eliminates any desire by the laity to change from kapps to veils. 8-)
Yup, still have to deal with keeping them clean and making the silly things.

Switch to soft fabric caps! Then everyone is annoyed and you keep historical practice!
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh

Post by Josh »

You just buy them from the local fabric store.

A few staunch traditionalists (or young people who like “vintage” things) insist on making their own.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:37 am You just buy them from the local fabric store.

A few staunch traditionalists (or young people who like “vintage” things) insist on making their own.
Not everyone can walk in a store and buy a cap. Oregon certainly didn’t have that option nor did several other states.
If no one knows how to make it, the practice will eventually die.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:48 am
Josh wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:37 am You just buy them from the local fabric store.

Not everyone can walk in a store and buy a cap. Oregon certainly didn’t have that option nor did several other states.
Holdemans stock them for sale. Most settlements have a fabric store somewhere (which might be as simple as something a lady runs out of her garage or basement.) In smaller congregations where nobody has set up such a store, they can be ordered online or mail order from several different stores.

However the Holdeman style kapp can be made from a simple piece of cloth after folding it and pinning it a certain way. (This is what the traditionalists and the occasional young person who likes vintage things does.) The "pre-sewn" ones are just a lot more convenient.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:57 am
Soloist wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:48 am

Holdemans stock them for sale. Most settlements have a fabric store somewhere (which might be as simple as something a lady runs out of her garage or basement.) In smaller congregations where nobody has set up such a store, they can be ordered online or mail order from several different stores.

However the Holdeman style kapp can be made from a simple piece of cloth after folding it and pinning it a certain way. (This is what the traditionalists and the occasional young person who likes vintage things does.) The "pre-sewn" ones are just a lot more convenient.

I must have misunderstood your post then.
Josh wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:12 am Wear kapps during the week but add hanging veils during church services. This eliminates any desire by the laity to change from kapps to veils. 8-)
I thought you were suggesting this for others and not your own group
0 x