Time for a headcovering thread!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Time for a headcovering thread!

Post by steve-in-kville »

I honestly had no real direction for the thread, but I some opinions on the issue on various levels that I will be interjecting from time to time.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

We've been searching for an anabaptist church and have mostly visited BMA churches and the scattered remnants of churches that were once from the Charity movement (and one conservative Rosedale Network church). While all but one practiced the headcovering, I did appreciate that at every single church, there were a variety of modest headcovering styles. None were apparently "stylish" like a big hat or something (except one or two at the church that no longer required it... they had given up on modest dress altogether some time ago).

Another thing I've noticed is that in the younger generation in the BMA churches, and in the older generation among churches with a lot of "seekers" (those who were not raised in a traditional anabaptist family) have been using a "headwrap" style of headcovering. Something that wraps around all the hair and ties together underneath, in the back of the head. Similar to an opaque snood.
2 x
steve-in-kville

Some random observations:

I remember the Dunkard Brethren fussin' over strings on coverings. The younger generation didn't think it was needed as no one used them for their original purpose and it was just one big loop anyway. Older generation was afraid if we took the strings away, coverings would get smaller. Twenty years later, the strings were no longer required. Fancy that.
0 x

steve-in-kville

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:35 pm None were apparently "stylish" like a big hat or something (except one or two at the church that no longer required it... they had given up on modest dress altogether some time ago).
Isn't that a southern Baptist practice? Ladies wearing big hats to church?
0 x

Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:04 am
Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:35 pm None were apparently "stylish" like a big hat or something (except one or two at the church that no longer required it... they had given up on modest dress altogether some time ago).

Isn't that a southern Baptist practice? Ladies wearing big hats to church?
And from there, women started seeing it as an accessory and it started losing its original understanding & eventually went by the wayside (luje wearing white gloves to church, hats and gloves, except coveting the head was actually scriptural, but turning into an accessory it list its meaning).
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:57 amSome random observations:

I remember the Dunkard Brethren fussin' over strings on coverings. The younger generation didn't think it was needed as no one used them for their original purpose and it was just one big loop anyway. Older generation was afraid if we took the strings away, coverings would get smaller. Twenty years later, the strings were no longer required. Fancy that.
If I understood correctly, Dunkard Brethren also gave liberty at their annual conference last year for sisters to choose their own style of headcovering. Not sure if that was on a congregation by congregation basis (where some would grant said liberty and others not, or if it was wide open) - Steve, do you know?
0 x
steve-in-kville

The last revision I know of was the ladies may wear a hanging veil during the week but they wanted the kapp style coverings to be worn for church.

Maybe it is a congregational matter, I could find out, though.
0 x

NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:37 am My wife and I had a rather lively discussion on this recently. When does the headcovering become less about scripture and/or conviction, and more about identity?

I've read through various groups standard on headcovering criteria. Many can get really specific on size and shape, distance from the ears, strings, color and length.

At what point are we over thinking this? Do we make it too complicated? Are new believers and transplants overwhelmed?
Steve, by your last few comments - are you not that man…?!
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
steve-in-kville

NedFlanders wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:41 am
You lost me, pal. Not sure I understand :?
0 x

NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:44 am
NedFlanders wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:41 am
You lost me, pal. Not sure I understand :?
In the start of the thread you shared your concern about overthinking, making the head covering about identity and etc that it makes it confusing and complicated especially for new comers or transplants(I still have no idea what that means). So I thought you were not for the wrong focus but yet you are focused on the wrong focus by posting about Dunkards fussing’ and etc….
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.