Jury Duty

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Jury Duty

Post by Once Again »

Have any members here been called up for jury duty? I was wondering what your experiences were if you refused to serve because of your convictions. Though I haven't been called up, it is something that I've been thinking about. The branch of the church of Christ I attend does not object to serving as a juror (some branches do), so I'd especially like to hear from anyone who, while not a member of an Anabaptist church, has held to that conviction and refused to be on a jury.

Laura
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Jury Duty

Post by Josh »

The early church never sat on juries and it wasn't even a point of debate.

I could not sit on a criminal jury since I could not mete out violence and punishment to a wrongdoer.

If I sat on a civil jury, I would exhort the plaintiff they have been forgiven much - now forgive the person who's wrong you.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

As people called to give mercy, I don't see how we could effectively be jury member.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

I was called up and was prepared to request not to participate, because of a number of reasons. I am conscientiously opposed to recommending the death penalty. I am conscientiously opposed to participation in the civil government which in my opinion would include jury service and voting. I believe a Christian's role in the world is incompatible with the use of force either in war or in law enforcement. The case was resolved with a plea bargain just as we were going to jury selection. However this year I received notice I'm in the pool again, so maybe it will come up again.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Once Again

Post by Once Again »

I wasn't so much asking if jury duty was wrong as asking what reaction I can expect if I refuse to serve on a jury if I'm summoned, particularly as a person who does not attend a conservative Anabaptist church.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Are you registered to vote?

I was under the impression that if you are not registered to vote, you will never be called for jury duty. I have never registered to vote, and have never been called for jury duty. My wife is registered, and was called, although she just submitted a letter from our pastor.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Once Again

Post by Once Again »

I am not registered to vote anymore. Oklahoma uses driver's licenses for the jury pool.
0 x
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

Neto wrote:Are you registered to vote?

I was under the impression that if you are not registered to vote, you will never be called for jury duty. I have never registered to vote, and have never been called for jury duty. My wife is registered, and was called, although she just submitted a letter from our pastor.
I'm not registered to vote and have been called for Jury duty. Perhaps it's different state by state.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Neto wrote: I was under the impression that if you are not registered to vote, you will never be called for jury duty.
Apparently I was wrong about this.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Once Again wrote:I am not registered to vote anymore. Oklahoma uses driver's licenses for the jury pool.
i've been living in blissful ignorance on this.
i was called for jury duty once, many years ago, but we were moving out of state right then, so, i was simply relieved of the duty. it was a non-issue.

i've been googling just now, surprised to find it may be harder to get out of than i ever thought.
however, it seems being honest in presenting one's case is, by far, the best path, that leniency can, and often is, granted. the courts are accustomed to dishonesty, and they do not like it!

evidently, even if you are called, that's not an assurity you will be chosen.
i.e., they call more people than they need.

it seems this is something that would be a matter of state and local laws, and, variations according to cases and circumstances. (no pat answers.) attorneys can be "picky" about jury selection. lots of variables.

i hope this will be a non-issue for you.
it's well to have thought it through, in the event.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN