Jury Duty

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Jury Duty

Post by Josh »

Signtist wrote:And if someone rapes and kills your neighbours wife, you would just try your best to persuade the court to let him go and would have no reservations about him moving in next to your daughter? Because that's a different subject than forgiveness. A person can be forgiven and still held accountable for their actions. At least I hope so. And that is where the judicial system comes in. It may well be that "the plaintiff" in a case may be the state (or in my situation, the Crown) and they have the God-given mandate to punish evildoers. Are you going to try relieve them of the very purpose to which God ordained them?
I find it personally insulting when people trot out the "do you have kids argument" with me. I used to but don't anymore after an adoption got rescinded after a whole year. My kid's father is in prison for life for murdering her older half sister and trying to murder her too.

If you go back and read what I said, I said I would tell plaintiffs in civil suits to forgive the debt. Which I have actually done, and the person I told experienced great blessing by not going to court and just dropping a suit over a few thousand dollars. A year later his business is prospering so much he wouldn't have time for petty lawsuits and his testimony is that forgiving a bad contractor was the real lesson God wanted to teach him which was worth a few thousand dollars.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I was called up. And I refused service. Not my kingdom...
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Cool. I now understand we're not talking the same thing. I missed the "civil suit" part of your sentence. I was just trying to make a point that not every action gets a free pass, no offense intended here.
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Jesus said "Judge not lest ye be judged".

Also he said "do not swear". Swearing is against the teachings of Jesus. Affirmations are the same thing. To "Affirm" literally makes "more firm" your "yes' and "no". Jesus said "let your yes be yes and your no be no ANYTHING else is from the evil one".

I would say if you "affirm" it is not a simple yes any more.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Chris wrote:Jesus said "Judge not lest ye be judged".

Also he said "do not swear". Swearing is against the teachings of Jesus. Affirmations are the same thing. To "Affirm" literally makes "more firm" your "yes' and "no". Jesus said "let your yes be yes and your no be no ANYTHING else is from the evil one".

In my experience nobody bats an eye about affirming instead of swearing. Of course, that would make it pretty hard to accept public office where one needs to swear an oath of office.
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

Josh wrote:
Chris wrote:Jesus said "Judge not lest ye be judged".

In my experience nobody bats an eye about affirming instead of swearing. Of course, that would make it pretty hard to accept public office where one needs to swear an oath of office.
I believe we should bat the eye and more! It makes a Christian incompatible to work for the government! :)
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Would you consider Romans 9:1 to be "more than a simple yes or no?" How about Ephesians 4:17?
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

ken_sylvania wrote:Would you consider Romans 9:1 to be "more than a simple yes or no?" How about Ephesians 4:17?
No. It's because it doesn't involve somebody making an oath and would be a bit out of context of oath making. The "yes being yes" and "no being no" was in place right after we were told not to swear. Romans 9:1 was more of a personal testimony.

In a court you'd have to make and oath or affirmation, which is swearing. Also any public office involves (in America) to take an Oath of Office.

But I'd appreciate your input as this is just opinionated.
0 x