Menno Simons - Sincere and True Repentance, Simplified

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Menno Simons - Sincere and True Repentance, Simplified

Post by Bootstrap »

Dear Friends and Brethren, take a moment to truly reflect on what it means and what consequences may follow when we deliberately disobey the Lord's commands and go against His word. Remember, Adam and Eve sinned just once by eating the forbidden fruit, and for that, the earth was cursed. Adam had to toil for his food, and Eve faced painful childbirth and submission to her husband. They were banished from paradise and destined to return to dust. There was no forgiveness or grace available then. But the Eternal Word, God's Son, came down from heaven, took on human form, endured hunger, temptation, suffering, the cross, and death, as the scriptures teach. If a single transgression had such consequences, consider the fate of those who arrogantly disregard the holy word, covenant, will, and commands of the Lord, who do not confess their sins and transgressions, even though they are full of wrongdoing. Cain was cursed and became a wanderer on the earth for killing his innocent brother Abel out of envy. What then will be the fate of those who, without compassion or justice, persecute, rob, and even murder the devout believers like Abel, who fervently seek Christ and eternal life?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

In the ancient world, the flood came and covered everything because some chose to do wrong. They saw that certain people were attractive and married them, even though they didn't care about God's guidance. They ignored the Spirit of God and had evil thoughts all the time. Think about how marriages are often based on wrong desires nowadays, like animals following their instincts. The Holy Spirit is insulted, spoken against, and hurt, and people follow their own twisted paths that lead to destruction and death.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

The cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, along with their neighbors, were destroyed by a furious fire from God's anger because of their pride, wickedness, cruelty, and terrible sins. It's sad to think about what will happen to those who continue in wrong ways when the Lord comes in his powerful glory. Their pride, wrongdoing, luxury, cruelty, violence, unfaithfulness, and other terrible things are beyond imagination, words, or description.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Think about the story of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram from the time of Abraham. They were from the same family as Abraham, and some were even from the tribe of Levi. However, they rebelled against Moses and Aaron, and they tried to take on the roles of priests without being called by God. As a result, the earth swallowed them and their followers alive. This should make us consider the consequences for those who, like them, go against God's plans and teachings. The "Korites" in our time, who are not sent by God and promote false teachings, will face judgment. Just as Moses, a faithful servant of God, faced consequences for his doubt, this generation that disbelieves and opposes God's word will have difficulty entering God's eternal promise and glory. This is especially true for those who not only reject the truth but also hate and persecute it, even going as far as to harm the innocent followers of Jesus.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Listen, you who are in a troubled state and far from God, pay attention to God's word. Cleanse your hands and hearts from wrongdoing and doubt. Don't rely on empty words or false claims. Saying you are children of God or descendants of Abraham doesn't mean anything if you don't truly believe in Jesus Christ and follow his teachings. Don't trust in lying words or empty rituals. Having Christ's name won't save you if you don't have a sincere faith in him, genuine love, and a life that reflects obedience to God's commands.

God's mercy is for those who sincerely follow him, and he watches over his chosen ones. But the hopes of those who do wrong are in vain. God's eyes are on those who do what is right and listen to his word. Jesus said, "You are my friends if you do what I command you." So, we urge and encourage you to change your ways. God is unchanging and just. He punishes wrongdoing and rewards righteousness. He punishes the sins of those who hate him, but he shows mercy to those who love him and follow his commands.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Listen, dear reader, it's a serious matter to face the judgment of the living God! The time is now, and God is ready to save. The kingdom of heaven is right here; if you want to be part of it, you must truly repent with all your heart and all your strength, not just pretending like the hypocrites do. Bring forth good deeds from a genuine heart. If not, you will face his anger. As it's said, "Unless you repent, you will all likewise perish."
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

I have finished now. Feel free to quote from the original if you prefer, or point out what is good or bad about the rewrite. But please do try to keep the focus on what Menno Simons is calling us to.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:22 am I have finished now. Feel free to quote from the original if you prefer, or point out what is good or bad about the rewrite. But please do try to keep the focus on what Menno Simons is calling us to.
Very interesting idea. I’ll have to read both carefully side by side and see what I think. (I agree trying to understand some of Simons’ writings can be… dense.)
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:05 am Next, we urge you to follow the teachings of Christ: "Change your ways and believe in the Gospel," as it's written in Mark 1:15. This message of grace and divine love is found in books, hymns, and preached aloud, but its true power is often ignored. Unfortunately, those who share and accept this message are often targeted by the world. Sadly, just calling ourselves Christians and talking about Jesus' sacrifice, death, grace, and Gospel is not enough. We must turn away from our wrong, disrespectful, and sinful behaviors. It doesn't matter if we're called Christians, if we know Jesus died for us, if we were born during a time of grace, and if we were baptized, if we don't live by His teachings, guidance, and commands, and if we don't follow His words obediently.
I'm not sure this is what you want by commenting on each of these individual posts but I will comment on this one and you can correct me if I'm doing this wrong.

I believe not everything Jesus said In His teachings were meant for everyone for all time to obey. And that is why the Holy Spirit is given us to understand what is applicable to all of His followers and what was meant for a specific person. For instance, 'Sell your possessions and give them to the needy'. This was not a statement for all to do.

But if Menno is saying that we can't make Jesus as our Saviour but not as our Lord also, then I agree. If he meant that perfect obedience is necessary for salvation, then I would disagree.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:47 pm I'm not sure this is what you want by commenting on each of these individual posts but I will comment on this one and you can correct me if I'm doing this wrong.
Comment on whatever speaks to you.
Sudsy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:47 pmI believe not everything Jesus said In His teachings were meant for everyone for all time to obey. And that is why the Holy Spirit is given us to understand what is applicable to all of His followers and what was meant for a specific person. For instance, 'Sell your possessions and give them to the needy'. This was not a statement for all to do.
Are there examples of this in the quotes from Menno Simons, in the original or as rewritten, or do you think he is pointing to things that apply to all Christians?
Sudsy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:47 pmBut if Menno is saying that we can't make Jesus as our Saviour but not as our Lord also, then I agree. If he meant that perfect obedience is necessary for salvation, then I would disagree.
I doubt that any of us is ever perfect. The New Testament disciples clearly were not, before or after the resurrection. But I think walking as a Christian is going to make us look REALLY different from the world. That's how I interpret this bit:
Next, we urge you to follow the teachings of Christ: "Change your ways and believe in the Gospel," as it's written in Mark 1:15. This message of grace and divine love is found in books, hymns, and preached aloud, but its true power is often ignored. Unfortunately, those who share and accept this message are often targeted by the world. Sadly, just calling ourselves Christians and talking about Jesus' sacrifice, death, grace, and Gospel is not enough. We must turn away from our wrong, disrespectful, and sinful behaviors. It doesn't matter if we're called Christians, if we know Jesus died for us, if we were born during a time of grace, and if we were baptized, if we don't live by His teachings, guidance, and commands, and if we don't follow His words obediently.
I would not read that as:
if we don't live by His teachings, guidance, and commands, and if we don't follow His words obediently WITHOUT EVER MESSING UP.
But I do see the Christian life as a life of constant repentance, constantly seeking what is good. It's not a side job.
0 x