Menno Simons - Sincere and True Repentance, Simplified

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Menno Simons - Sincere and True Repentance, Simplified

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:15 pm Anabaptists believe that "because they have voluntarily chosen to follow Christ as their only authority", they can be successful in their pursuit of Christian perfection. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_perfection
Any statement that asserts "Anabaptists believe" something (as if they were a unanimous body) should be immediately viewed with strong skepticism.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:19 pm
Sudsy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:15 pm Anabaptists believe that "because they have voluntarily chosen to follow Christ as their only authority", they can be successful in their pursuit of Christian perfection. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_perfection
Any statement that asserts "Anabaptists believe" something (as if they were a unanimous body) should be immediately viewed with strong skepticism.

I was also thinking using a commentary to tell you what someone thinks when they wrote out their beliefs themselves is suspect.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Because this site used a Menno quote to support what 'Anabaptists believe', it seemed correct -
'Menno Simmons, said: "The reborn willfully here sin no more."
But in another site, that I followed up on, it said
Simons did not believe in sinless perfection, but rather that Christians must help each other achieve the fullness of life in Christ through both faith and obedience.
I haven't studied all of Menno's writings but it would seem then that Menno said if you are born again you don't willfully sin although you do sin. If so, I am not sure I agree and I think backsliders do willfully sin when they drift from allowing Jesus to be Lord in their life while in a backslidden state.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:54 pm
Because this site used a Menno quote to support what 'Anabaptists believe', it seemed correct -
'Menno Simmons, said: "The reborn willfully here sin no more."
But in another site, that I followed up on, it said
Simons did not believe in sinless perfection, but rather that Christians must help each other achieve the fullness of life in Christ through both faith and obedience.
I haven't studied all of Menno's writings but it would seem then that Menno said if you are born again you don't willfully sin although you do sin. If so, I am not sure I agree and I think backsliders do willfully sin when they drift from allowing Jesus to be Lord in their life while in a backslidden state.
That is a difference between conservative Mennonites and evangelical groups. We tend to believe a backslidden state is separated from God.
1 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Soloist wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:49 pm That is a difference between conservative Mennonites and evangelical groups. We tend to believe a backslidden state is separated from God.
How does this relate to, say, gossip, or other sins that may occur even in Mennonite circles?

Is repentance ongoing throughout life in conservative Mennonite circles? Can people backslide a little in some ways and need to get back where they were?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Bootstrap wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:00 pm
Soloist wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:49 pm That is a difference between conservative Mennonites and evangelical groups. We tend to believe a backslidden state is separated from God.
How does this relate to, say, gossip, or other sins that may occur even in Mennonite circles?

Is repentance ongoing throughout life in conservative Mennonite circles? Can people backslide a little in some ways and need to get back where they were?
Repentance is a fact and life style of Christians. Repeated gossip will eventually bar you from the kingdom as well.
I am not the judge, but to willfully sin in any way is a very dangerous place to be.
3 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Soloist wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:18 pm Repentance is a fact and life style of Christians. Repeated gossip will eventually bar you from the kingdom as well.
I am not the judge, but to willfully sin in any way is a very dangerous place to be.
I agree with this.

To me, if we are in communion with God and in a congregation that is seeking God together in the Holy Spirit, then the Holy Spirit is changing us day by day. The same sin may be more serious for a more mature Christian who has come to realize that it is sin, or come to realize the magnitude of the sin.

And it's helpful to think about whether we are keeping our eyes on Jesus or turning away from Jesus.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I was raised in 'eternal insecurity' and various sins were referred to that could result in me losing my salvation and caused me to live in fear that some outstanding sin, that I had not repented for, would send me to hell. My understanding and experience is that God is not that impatient with us in our various ways of wandering. But we should also know that God disciplines His children as we read in Hebrews 12:4-11 - NIV
In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says,

“My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
6 because the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”[a]

7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? 8 If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! 10 They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
Well, I don't want to get too deep into eternal security beliefs but I am not a believer in 'eternal insecurity'. We can know we are saved.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:24 am I was raised in 'eternal insecurity' and various sins were referred to that could result in me losing my salvation and caused me to live in fear that some outstanding sin, that I had not repented for, would send me to hell. My understanding and experience is that God is not that impatient with us in our various ways of wandering. But we should also know that God disciplines His children as we read in Hebrews 12:4-11 - NIV

Well, I don't want to get too deep into eternal security beliefs but I am not a believer in 'eternal insecurity'. We can know we are saved.

I don’t have assurance of salvation. I have a living hope of salvation.
1 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:31 am
Sudsy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:24 am I was raised in 'eternal insecurity' and various sins were referred to that could result in me losing my salvation and caused me to live in fear that some outstanding sin, that I had not repented for, would send me to hell. My understanding and experience is that God is not that impatient with us in our various ways of wandering. But we should also know that God disciplines His children as we read in Hebrews 12:4-11 - NIV

I don’t have assurance of salvation. I have a living hope of salvation.
I agree with having a 'living hope' meaning “an eager, confident expectation.” 1 Peter 1:3 Not a wishful thinking kind of hope often used for the word hope.
0 x