Menno Simons - Sincere and True Repentance, Simplified

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Menno Simons - Sincere and True Repentance, Simplified

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:18 am
Soloist wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:31 am
I don’t have assurance of salvation. I have a living hope of salvation.
I agree with having a 'living hope' meaning “an eager, confident expectation.” 1 Peter 1:3 Not a wishful thinking kind of hope often used for the word hope.
I think if you reduce it to equivalent with how people perceive assurance of salvation I can’t agree.
Hope is founded on a conditional expectation.
While assurance is founded on unconditional expectation.
Paul could have failed at the end, he had a living hope in God knowing he served God as faithfully as he could.
Paul knew he could not fail, God had promised him assurance of his salvation.
Perhaps it’s word play but the way people use assurance, I can’t agree with
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
1Pe 1:17  And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:
1Pe 4:17  For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
1Pe 4:18  And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?
1Pe 4:19  Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.
I certainly know there are verses about not having fear, but the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

A conditional salvation not gained by merit of arm or of good works but rather faithfully discharging our duties even though we are but unworthy servants.
I certainly don’t want to stand before God with a few dry dusty scraps saying “Thou wilt accept my sheaves”
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:18 am
Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
1Pe 1:17  And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:
1Pe 4:17  For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
1Pe 4:18  And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?
1Pe 4:19  Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.
I certainly know there are verses about not having fear, but the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

A conditional salvation not gained by merit of arm or of good works but rather faithfully discharging our duties even though we are but unworthy servants.
I certainly don’t want to stand before God with a few dry dusty scraps saying “Thou wilt accept my sheaves”
The 'fear of the Lord' is a good topic in itself. I don't believe it is how some people understand fear as being afraid of God. Perhaps a new thread for anyone interested to start up for discussion.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit