Church Service is Boring.... sorry

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Church Service is Boring.... sorry

Post by Soloist »

I know of Conservatives who fudge the rules on zoning laws and building codes… I don’t know any that sue. The one case I know of with the lawsuit served was against a member.
I have been in a liberal Mennonite church that still head covered, One conservative Mennonite church, and one charity church in Oregon, and now another conservative Mennonite church on the other side of the country.
I don’t know if any case in any of those churches were anyone sued.
Meanwhile, there was at least one person at one of the Charity churches who basically said he didn’t want to leave anything to his children because it was a free hand out, and there are very negative perceptions on fighting over inheritance.
Another point which perhaps Chris has not considered, just in Oregon there were several Mennonite names that were very common among businesses that no longer had any affiliation at all with conservatives. It would not surprise me at all if there were lawsuits with those last names yet those people were not members of a Conservative Mennonite in Church.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Chris wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:39 pm I hate to break it to you... But you do not know what these churches are then. It happens. I'm not going to point to any specific companies, but you are 100% wrong. Watch the money. Look at those companies if you even care to investigate. The truth stands on it's own. I don't have to prove the truth.
No, you don't have to prove the truth. Neither does AndersonD. But if you don't provide sufficient details for us to verify your claims, you have no one but yourself to blame if we don't believe you.

I can totally believe that there would be a few people claiming to be Anabaptist who have filed lawsuits. What I absolutely do not believe is that this is commonly done with the knowledge and approbation of any conservative Anabaptist church. Therefore I think it's wrong to accuse "Anabaptists" of being OK with this behavior.
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Josh wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:18 pm
RZehr wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:08 pm Unequal inheritance. Many business contracts broken. Thefts. I’ve known of, watched, and experienced many, many material injustice suffered by conservative non-resistant Mennonites. And I can’t think of a single time where they sued. I find your account of “many lawsuits” very bizarre to hear of.
In my church being a plaintiff is grounds for excommunication and I think it is in yours too. It is dubious to even hire a lawyer to send a letter requesting funds owed to be paid, but sometimes that does happen. Doing so is discouraged.

I suspect Chris has been around some barely-conservative groups that play fast and loose and have a strong ethnic culture but have abandoned many historic Anabaptist beliefs. Unfortunately many such groups and churches do exist. I don’t commune with them.
Yes. It's the same way.

But those letters fly out the door too requesting funds.
I don't think many of you know the Anabaptist church that well.

I'll post some NEWS links. For individual cases, you guys will be shocked what you find if you look.

Amish
https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/ ... 85490.html

MennoUSA
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kansas-e ... 1d518081f9

Menno communities suing for covid rights
https://edition.channel5belize.com/archives/224143

More Amish Lawsuit
https://www.fltimes.com/news/attorney-b ... fa0e8.html

An interesting story - https://splash4ripples.com/2019/09/25/m ... -his-wife/

This was a VERY brief set of search results on news articles. Yes, Anabaptists sue. They sue for rights, they sue for wrongs did to them, and they sue people for defrauding them. I don't have time to post all the links that came up on a simple search. Do your own research. Pacer is your friend. Follow the money. It may not matter if I'm just a liar to you though.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Chris wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:07 pm An interesting story - https://splash4ripples.com/2019/09/25/m ... -his-wife/
Trudy says this guy is not a Mennonite.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

None of those except Trudy’s are over money.
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:16 pm
Chris wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:07 pm An interesting story - https://splash4ripples.com/2019/09/25/m ... -his-wife/
I've posted several links of Mennonite lawsuits after being called a liar and that Anabaptists do not sue.

Perhaps Trudy should prove he is not a Mennonite.

This is a waste of time. Fine folks believe what you want. I know the truth, God knows the truth, and he knows I'm not lying. That's all that matters.
1 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Chris wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:21 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:16 pm
I've posted several links of Mennonite lawsuits after being called a liar and that Anabaptists do not sue.

Perhaps Trudy should prove he is not a Mennonite.

This is a waste of time. Fine folks believe what you want. I know the truth, God knows the truth, and he knows I'm not lying. That's all that matters.
Most people are speaking of lawsuits for money, not rights.
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

Soloist wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:17 pm None of those except Trudy’s are over money.
But Mennonites don't sue right? except for... ...

I'm pretty much done on this subject. News articles typically aren't written about demand letters / lawsuits over a default on $2870 on an rent to own (Menno owned rent to own) deal gone bad. News articles are not typically written over liens placed on properties for excavation work.

These are NEWS articles. Check pacer and county clerks. You'll find them.
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

I gotta run but one more
https://www.wane.com/news/amish-familie ... -to-sewer/

These are passion news articles. News doesn't care about small claims of 20k or under whatsoever. Look at the language the Amish family used. These are fighting legal terms. They sued the government which they are supposed to obey. Look how they are citing discrimination against a minority religious group. Anabaptists ARE NOT unfamiliar with courts and they will sue the government and other entities/people.

These are legal battles to get their way using the force of the courts.

You know how copper wire was invented (yes that Menno joke).

Now take their money. Defraud the business. And go research if you want to. I really need to be done with this subject. Being called a liar is heavily insulting while I'm simply just speaking 100% truth and reality as I witnessed 1st person.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Chris wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:27 pm
Soloist wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:17 pm None of those except Trudy’s are over money.
But Mennonites don't sue right? except for... ...

I'm pretty much done on this subject. News articles typically aren't written about demand letters / lawsuits over a default on $2870 on an rent to own (Menno owned rent to own) deal gone bad. News articles are not typically written over liens placed on properties for excavation work.

These are NEWS articles. Check pacer and county clerks. You'll find them.
Your claim that I was responding to is that Mennos sue all the time for unpaid rent, unpaid construction work, inheritance, etc. I never disputed that there are instances of suing the government to get exemption from regulation (most groups wouldn't allow even that). You have failed to provide even a smidgen of evidence that there is an epidemic of Mennos suing over the type of things you claimed. You insist I will find this if I look on Pacer, but the fact is that I simply haven't. The closest thing to evidence you have provided is Trudy's story where she was threatened by a "culturally Mennonite" man who is not a member of any Mennonite church (according to her story). If this is the type of people you are referring to - people who are "culturally Mennonite" but not members of Mennonite churches - then you should have said so from the start.

Oh, and btw, I don't consider Menno-USA to be Anabaptist or non-resistant.
0 x