Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Re: Church Service is Boring.... sorry

Post by Signtist »

Chris wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:02 pm
Guess what.

I have something you may want to know.

The serpent tempted Eve and she took a bite of the forbidden fruit... ... ...

I wonder if any of you heard that before!!!!!
Yeah I have. Across the pulpit even. Our pastor is doing a series on the LGBTQ2S+ community. How we got here. Where we are. And what is our Christian response. Not so boring. Very relevant. And he is opening it up for questions people want to have addressed. It's fascinating. Not every pastor is boring or repetitious. Some are even relevant.

Instead of whining here, make these suggestions to you pastor. I bet he'd welcome some new topics if you present it kindly.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I would sympathise with Chris that there are some mind numbing boring services out there in the CA world. Fortunately for me, I’ve never been part of such a congregation for the long term.

For extra boredom… go attend a service where the preaching is conducted in High German or in Serbian or Romanian or Ukrainian.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:02 pm
Sudsy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:13 am I remember men falling asleep and getting jabbed in the ribs by their wife when they started to snore.
Sounds like an argument in favor of segregated seating. :)
:laugh

The Puritans had a guy with the role of keeping the snoring down -
the Tithingman. This fellow was hired to oversee the congregation. Perched on a balcony or strolling the aisles, he was armed with a long stick. One end had a hard knob or point, the other a bit of fur. When he caught men nodding off, he gave them a wrap on the head. Women who dozed got a tickle with the fur.
Another story goes -
Joseph Moody, the minister at the Second Church of York, Maine, didn’t like what he saw when he looked out over his flock, many of them bowed in sleep. “Fire, fire, fire!” he yelled. The sleepers in the congregation jumped to their feet and asked where the fire was. He then blasted them with an answer: “In hell, for sleeping sinners.”
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:31 pm I would sympathise with Chris that there are some mind numbing boring services out there in the CA world. Fortunately for me, I’ve never been part of such a congregation for the long term.

For extra boredom… go attend a service where the preaching is conducted in High German or in Serbian or Romanian or Ukrainian.
I spent 8 years in a church where the preaching was in High German. Great church. Not boring at all.

And I do enjoy the liturgy in Ukranian. Though it's been a very long time, probably 25 years.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:09 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:31 pm I would sympathise with Chris that there are some mind numbing boring services out there in the CA world. Fortunately for me, I’ve never been part of such a congregation for the long term.

I spent 8 years in a church where the preaching was in High German. Great church. Not boring at all.

And I do enjoy the liturgy in Ukranian. Though it's been a very long time, probably 25 years.
Well, these were Anabaptist services and I don’t understand those languages. You might enjoy an Amish service though (I would say I have “endured” an Amish service.)
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:15 pm Well, these were Anabaptist services and I don’t understand those languages. You might enjoy an Amish service though (I would say I have “endured” an Amish service.)
I might.

But I have never been invited to one. Well, not since I was 17. Back then, transportation was the problem.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:18 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:15 pm Well, these were Anabaptist services and I don’t understand those languages. You might enjoy an Amish service though (I would say I have “endured” an Amish service.)
I might.

But I have never been invited to one. Well, not since I was 17. Back then, transportation was the problem.
I guess they didn’t have e-bikes and scooters back then and you didn’t have a horse.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:24 pm I guess they didn’t have e-bikes and scooters back then and you didn’t have a horse.
They were about 20 miles away. They could not reasonably have picked me up. I could actually have ridden a bicycle, but their kids were jealous of my 10 speed bicycle and the adults really did not approve of it. Once in a while, I would be riding and they would be out in their buggy, they would look excited, the parents would not. My family was not invited, and we had only one car, which they used to go to church.

FWIW, I still don't have a horse.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Curious - Is High German closer to God than Low German ? :? Just being silly.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:46 pm

Curious - Is High German closer to God than Low German ? :? Just being silly.
Apparently it is, since it’s preached in on Sundays and the laity goes back to speaking Low German right after the service.
0 x