Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Do you agree with this statement?

I highly agree with this statement.
55%
I somewhat agree with this statement.
27%
Neutral.
9%
I somewhat disagree with this statement.
9%
I highly disagree with this statement.
No votes

Total votes: 11

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Leaders & Titles

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:05 pm I only encountered two professors who insisted on being called Dr… 1 was an AP professor, the other was gen Biology. Both were women.
There is a difference between an academic PhD which is usually 4-7 years with a dissertation requirement and often various post-doc studies. And an EdD which is often the equivalent to an online MBA degree, easily obtained from places like University of Phoenix.

There is also a difference between using the title Dr. in a university setting where it is common, and in a public school setting where it is not.

Thinking back long ago to my university days, I think most of my professors mostly went more informal and used first names or else "professor" as in "professor smith" but all the official university communications and used their titles.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

My leader is Jesus.

The rest of the men just have a delusion that they can get between me and him. I don't need to be led except by my shepherd.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Chris wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:29 pm My leader is Jesus.

The rest of the men just have a delusion that they can get between me and him. I don't need to be led except by my shepherd.
Did someone lead you to Jesus?
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

RZehr wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:32 pm
Chris wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:29 pm My leader is Jesus.

Did someone lead you to Jesus?
No. I decided completely on my own to follow him. His Bible led me to him.

We are merely signposts, pointing towards Christ. I can't lead somebody there, I can only point to perfection.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:47 pm
Now, I really wish there was some title to address a nurse practitioner or PA... I sometimes just call them "doctor" but they tend to correct you if you do that, and I don't like to refer to them by just their first name and calling them "Nurse George" or "Nurse Smith" just sounds odd and informal.
And then there is Nurse Dixie ;)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

As I say, If you want to be a leader in Holmes County, all you have to do is drive the speed limit.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Neto wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:20 am As I say, If you want to be a leader in Holmes County, all you have to do is drive the speed limit.
I call the train of vehicles behind me my fan club.
2 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

1 Timothy 5:17
Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

Does this Scripture speak into this?

I admit I was taken aback to learn recently our Pastor just likes to be called "Alistair " We have always referred ti him as Pastor Begg.

I have no issue with titles. There are Padtors that have earned the title Dr. & use it which kinda bothers me. The only reason I can see it as beneficial as so many see Christians as not educated enough to know better than to believe the Bible yet Jesus purposely called those to be Apistles that weren't known to be so educated.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I imagine that after following, living, learning from Jesus for a few years, the Twelve had more than the equivalence of a Master of Divinity degree. I doubt that the ended up the same “uneducated” folks that they began as. They lived and recorded the NT, they didn’t merely study the scriptures 2,000 years later in a different language.
1 x