Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
HeIsRisen
Affiliation: Apostolic

Private Revelation?

Post by HeIsRisen »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:11 am
Grace wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:34 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:08 am

I'm a horrible person, but I avoid such people. There is no point in trying to converse with someone who has all the answers.
When the know-it-all person is a family member, possibly a sibling, it is difficult to avoid them. Fortunately the conversations aren't one on one, but in a group setting. Hubby and I just sit quietly and listen, while our eyes glaze over.
Don't get me started on in-laws.... My wife has both a sister and brother that confuse their opinions with God's will. The stories that could be told.... :o
Inspired by this comment about confusing opinions for God's will. (I know this comment may not be about private revelation specifically, but did make me think of this topic)

Do you believe that God speaks to people privately outside of the revealed Word? (Example: God put on my heart, I heard God point out, I saw a sign, etc etc.) Do you think he speaks to individuals frequently, or is it a rare event?

If yes, how does one distinguish the Spirit from a strong emotional feeling or personal conviction, especially when it's on a liberty issue? Would it be sin to disobey the revelation (if regarding a liberty issue), and if one thinks it's really from God, does that elevate ones private revelation to the level of Scripture. Is that a problem?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Private Revelation?

Post by steve-in-kville »

HeIsRisen wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:18 am
If yes, how does one distinguish the Spirit from a strong emotional feeling or personal conviction, especially when it's on a liberty issue?
You just know.

Over three years ago, our family faced a bit of a crisis. It was a very private situation involving my daughter being "assaulted" by an older relative, not something one wants splashed all over the place. One of my church ministers is also my employer's chaplain and he was right there beside me the entire time. (keep in mind this was the middle of covid lock down, so we were not attending church at the time).

I looked all over the internet to find a support group for parents in our situation and there wasn't any. There were support groups for victims, groups for perpetrators, but nothing for parents of such. I told our chaplain about the frustration we faced, and he told me straight up that this was a calling to be that support. So I did. Slowly working at it, but it is started.

Sometimes, you just know.
5 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I believe in personal revelation as far as it pertains to one’s own self and their own thinking and actions.
Not so much though, when it contradicts Bible doctrine.
And not so much either when they try to encumber others with their own personal revelation.
Run away from them. Or at least, a good steady lope.
2 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

1 Corinthians 14.1 says, "Pursue love and be eager for the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy." The chapter concludes, " So then, brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid anyone from speaking in tongues."

I believe a prophecy is a word from God that he gives to share. Others need to discern whether it is a true word from God, basing that discernment on God's Spirit, the scripture, and their knowledge of the character of the one prophesying. Sometimes this word may just be personal direction, but if it is of much consequence one should still seek the discernment of others.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

HeIsRisen wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:18 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:11 am
Grace wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:34 am

When the know-it-all person is a family member, possibly a sibling, it is difficult to avoid them. Fortunately the conversations aren't one on one, but in a group setting. Hubby and I just sit quietly and listen, while our eyes glaze over.
Don't get me started on in-laws.... My wife has both a sister and brother that confuse their opinions with God's will. The stories that could be told.... :o
Inspired by this comment about confusing opinions for God's will. (I know this comment may not be about private revelation specifically, but did make me think of this topic)

Do you believe that God speaks to people privately outside of the revealed Word? (Example: God put on my heart, I heard God point out, I saw a sign, etc etc.) Do you think he speaks to individuals frequently, or is it a rare event?

Good topic ! Yes, if you mean by 'revealed Word' the bible. I sometimes think some Christians forget that it has only been the last hundred plus years that the average believer had a bible to be guided by. The bible is a means that the Holy Spirit uses to speak to us but I believe our relationship with God through the Spirit is meant to be much more personal and an on-going daily guidance in the way that we should go.

If yes, how does one distinguish the Spirit from a strong emotional feeling or personal conviction, especially when it's on a liberty issue? Would it be sin to disobey the revelation (if regarding a liberty issue), and if one thinks it's really from God, does that elevate ones private revelation to the level of Scripture. Is that a problem?

I believe when Jesus said His sheep know His voice and they follow Him and will not follow other voices, that He would not have said that if it were not possible. However, scripture also says that we, like sheep, are prone to wander. The farther we get away from listening for the Shepherd's voice, the more we will be attracted to other voices and interests.

Regarding a 'liberty issue' (which I take to mean freedom to do something) I believe we are to seek to hear from God and be patient for an answer. Can we still get things wrong ? I think so because the scripture also says we now see through a glass darkly and only know in part so that says to me mistakes will be made. I believe knowing the voice of the Spirit over other voices is an on-going learning and obeying experience and will only become more clear to us that it is the Spirit's guidance as we respect and seek to know His guidance. I don't believe the Spirit will guide us opposed to scripture but it may seem that way at times if our understanding of scripture is not Spirit lead to begin with. One of the big hindrances to knowing the Spirit's guidance is our pride. God resists the proud. "He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble His way." Psalm 25:9

Well, I'm rambling on again so I better shut up. Would love to hear more on this from others here.

0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

HeIsRisen wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:18 am Do you believe that God speaks to people privately outside of the revealed Word? (Example: God put on my heart, I heard God point out, I saw a sign, etc etc.) Do you think he speaks to individuals frequently, or is it a rare event?

Excellent question. I think it is very hard to distinguish the Spirit from strong emotional feelings or personal convictions, or basically personal wants and desires. It is next to impossible to figure out one's own motives, let alone those of others, but often what people seem to "hear" God say appears to jive very nicely with things they just want to do.

I view things that happen that are outside of my control as being things that God either appointed or allowed, and therefore are things that he has "spoken." I view advice given to me by respected people as being things that God is potentially speaking, but the fact is, I often choose those people and the advice could have been different had I asked someone different.

I can hardly credit God for thoughts that come through my mind. And yet, thoughts that have come into my mind have had significant ramifications in life. Did those things originate with God? Obviously he can put thoughts into our minds, but to say for sure that "God put on my heart," who can tell?

Believers in Jesus are promised the Holy Spirit, so I believe God is present with me in that way. I do not hear him say specific things to me, but his presence in me does influence me. I don't believe in "signs." I think there are way too many ways for our human minds to misconstrue events and circumstances to be sure that certain things were signs from God.

I am highly skeptical that God is actually speaking even a small percentage of thing things that people think they are hearing from him. The best clue about whether what we are "hearing" from God is actually his words is whether they align with what we know for sure is the word of God. And for those things, hearing something extraneous from scripture is actually not all that necessary. How often do you hear someone claim to have heard God speak directly to them that they should not steal or commit perjury or envy? No, people who claim to have been spoken to by God are usually saying he has directed them to do thus and so that is not addressed in scripture, or given them some special knowledge or something.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

There are no new revelations. The book of Revelation (and scripture in general) contain all the information we need to know about the future.

Rev. 22,18:

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

Prophesizing is not about future events but the Holy Spirit using a person to edify, exhort or comfort another by disclosing ones „secrets of their heart“.

1Cor 14,3

3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

Indeed, it is not always clear if such exhortations are from God. In order to find out if a prophecy is from God, we need the gift of discerning the spirits

1 Cor 12,10

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

If you don‘t have it, seek someone who does.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

HeIsRisen wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:18 amDo you believe that God speaks to people privately outside of the revealed Word? (Example: God put on my heart, I heard God point out, I saw a sign, etc etc.) Do you think he speaks to individuals frequently, or is it a rare event?
My experience is "yes" (such as when I felt God urging me to becoming born again and to go to church), but it also seems that such experiences become less and less frequent the more one matures as a Christian. At least that's how it happened for me.
That's a good question. I generally take a dim view of when some people seem to be hearing from God about all kinds of things. I don't really think God works like that, but rather wants us to be in fellowship and to start hearing what other believers have to say. That sort of relationship with God brings about community and unity. The "phone line to God" tends to result in a bizarre, eccentric person who becomes an isolated individual.
3 x