Apostolic Christian Church, Nazarean???

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Apostolic Christian Church, Nazarean???

Post by Josh »

An observation I have of the ACCNs around here is that they all have seekers in them. Even the Cleveland Romanian church where attendance is typically 20. One guy started going there and eventually married in. He and I obviously enjoyed meeting each other.

It is also the only place I think I’d ever run into American-Australian dual nationals who have made their home in both Brisbane and northeast Ohio. If I hadn’t felt strongly led by the Lord to join the church I’m in… I suspect I would have chosen the accn. (Although I was very interested in the oorb, Australian/Paraguayan Hutterites, and Believers in Christ in Lobelville.)
2 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: We worked with some of them for CAM packing events and finally went to visit one of their church services out of curiosity. They (at least the conservative ones) would be pretty similar to Mennonites or Holdemen, although the sermons are not prepared ahead of time and they just flip to a random place in the Bible and preach from it. All their songs were also in whole notes which is supposedly a lot like the Amish. Those parts were kind of fun. The biggest issue we had with them was their Perma-ban.

Basically, if someone they think has been born again falls into a death sin, they would not only excommunicate them, but they can never become a member again because of Hebrews and 1 John. Supposedly, some of the places do allow them to participate as non-members and a couple people say that God will judge in the end, but they are never able to take communion again or regain membership, even if they repent. in that way, we would be more comfortable pointing someone to an Amish or Holderman church, because at least they desire reconciliation in their use of the ban.

There is a Wikipedia page on them, although I can’t easily look it up on the phone.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:20 pm Wife: We worked with some of them for CAM packing events and finally went to visit one of their church services out of curiosity. They (at least the conservative ones) would be pretty similar to Mennonites or Holdemen, although the sermons are not prepared ahead of time and they just flip to a random place in the Bible and preach from it. All their songs were also in whole notes which is supposedly a lot like the Amish. Those parts were kind of fun. The biggest issue we had with them was their Perma-ban.
Yes, they use round notes, although they do sing 4-part and they have a very good hymnal (or hymnals).
Basically, if someone they think has been born again falls into a death sin, they would not only excommunicate them, but they can never become a member again because of Hebrews and 1 John. Supposedly, some of the places do allow them to participate as non-members and a couple people say that God will judge in the end, but they are never able to take communion again or regain membership, even if they repent. in that way, we would be more comfortable pointing someone to an Amish or Holderman church, because at least they desire reconciliation in their use of the ban.
The ACC no longer does this, and the ACF split over this issue and continues to hold a very "conservative" and strict via of the "perma-ban", as you put it. The ACCN (East) may be "softening" on this issue. As far as I know, the ACCN (West) hasn't done this in a long time, which as I understand is why some East people ended up migrating to West.
1 x