Non-transitional Anabaptist churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Non-transitional Anabaptist churches

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:30 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:23 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:42 pmHow is that working for them? Are they growing or not?
I think they are down to about 50% of the members they had a year and a half ago. Most of the folks without Anabaptist influence have left the church in the last year and a half, as well as many from Anabaptist background.
One of the traits of a transitional Anabaptist church is that only Anabaptist-background people stick around.

People from other backgrounds feel uncomfortable and eventually leave, whereas you can find a seeker family that joins Easterns and is seemingly content there 20 years later.
Yes, you can find those 20 years later. But about 75% of folks who join most Anabaptist churches will switch to another church or no church at some point.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:45 pm
I think they are down to about 50% of the members they had a year and a half ago. Most of the folks without Anabaptist influence have left the church in the last year and a half, as well as many from Anabaptist background.
One of the traits of a transitional Anabaptist church is that only Anabaptist-background people stick around.

People from other backgrounds feel uncomfortable and eventually leave, whereas you can find a seeker family that joins Easterns and is seemingly content there 20 years later.
Yes, you can find those 20 years later. But about 75% of folks who join most Anabaptist churches will switch to another church or no church at some point.
Seems like about half to me. Couples seem to do better than singles in my limited experience. Let’s face it, it is a much better environment for children.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:45 pm

My point is that the non transitional ones keep more seekers (despite some being notoriously hard to fit into). Whereas the transitionals, who claim they do what they do to help seekers fit in, are woefully unable to retain any.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:27 amMy point is that the non transitional ones keep more seekers (despite some being notoriously hard to fit into). Whereas the transitionals, who claim they do what they do to help seekers fit in, are woefully unable to retain any.
My observation is that any church conference or fellowship that holds a line, (whether one with people transitioning through, or one that does not) keeps a certain percentage of seekers.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"