Use of Church Buildings and Day of Week to Meet for Worship

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Does the "Charity Church" really exist anymore?

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:40 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:31 pmIs there some theological reason why CA churches don't want their buildings re-used? I mean Biblically speaking I would think the church is the people and not the building.
This is a curiosity that only the Reformed Mennonite branch practices, which is a denomination of less than 1,000 members.
Most Plain Anabaptist churches (that are part of a fellowship or conference) see to it that any church they build will continue on as a church until the Lord returns. If the church dwindles in numbers to the point that its future is uncertain, they will simply move families in from other areas to keep the church going.

One of my biggest complaints about Plain Anabaptists and their church buildings is that they only use the auditoriums a few hours per week. (The majority only use the rest of their buildings a few hours per week as well. A minority use the rest of the building as a private school. Daycare use is not needed as mothers are taught to stay at home and care for their families.)

I wish Anabaptists would let other congregations use their buildings at a different time on Sunday without seeing it as a threat. (Mormons in Utah have up to 6 congregations meeting at one building on Sunday.) Doing so would be much better stewardship of resources IMO.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:42 am
Ken wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:31 pmIs there some theological reason why CA churches don't want their buildings re-used? I mean Biblically speaking I would think the church is the people and not the building.
This is a curiosity that only the Reformed Mennonite branch practices, which is a denomination of less than 1,000 members.
Most Plain Anabaptist churches (that are part of a fellowship or conference) see to it that any church they build will continue on as a church until the Lord returns. If the church dwindles in numbers to the point that its future is uncertain, they will simply move families in from other areas to keep the church going.

One of my biggest complaints about Plain Anabaptists and their church buildings is that they only use the auditoriums a few hours per week. (The majority only use the rest of their buildings a few hours per week as well. A minority use the rest of the building as a private school. Daycare use is not needed as mothers are taught to stay at home and care for their families.)

I wish Anabaptists would let other congregations use their buildings at a different time on Sunday without seeing it as a threat. (Mormons in Utah have up to 6 congregations meeting at one building on Sunday.) Doing so would be much better stewardship of resources IMO.

That is an interesting point and I agree. Here in Lancaster county I know of one CA church who opened their facility to a public school Release Time.

https://releasedtime.org/pennsylvania
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:42 am

I am surprised not only by the amount of money that is spent on church buildings, but also by the amount of debt churches are willing to incur to expand their buildings. This isn't something unique to Mennonites, but I would have expected Mennonites to be more frugal with their resources. I'm not sure our congregation will ever be out of debt, because we still have a significant loan balance and are considering expanding again.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I’m not sure I support the concept of other religious groups using a building built for worshiping in.
I suppose having it available for public use on a rental basis would be fine, but while it’s owned by us, I’d never want a sign advertising the Mormon meeting after ours.

I also agree with Mike, Anabaptists can be willing to spend far too much on a church building and take on quite a bit of debt. A certain Holdeman church with marble bathrooms comes to mind, or new building plans I’ve seen for the Pilgrim plant.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:09 am I’m not sure I support the concept of other religious groups using a building built for worshiping in.
I suppose having it available for public use on a rental basis would be fine, but while it’s owned by us, I’d never want a sign advertising the Mormon meeting after ours.

I also agree with Mike, Anabaptists can be willing to spend far too much on a church building and take on quite a bit of debt. A certain Holdeman church with marble bathrooms comes to mind, or new building plans I’ve seen for the Pilgrim plant.
Buildings often end up extravagant when various people donate building materials. The lender likes this since the value of the building is now higher, making the loan less risky.

I personally disagree with Zwingli that church buildings need to be austere and plain, or at least anymore so than our houses and businesses are.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:12 am
Buildings often end up extravagant when various people donate building materials. The lender likes this since the value of the building is now higher, making the loan less risky.

I personally disagree with Zwingli that church buildings need to be austere and plain, or at least anymore so than our houses and businesses are.
Yes and the marble could have been donated, it’s more of a perception thing. I would agree with you but at the same time, our houses shouldn’t be elaborate. Functional and durable yes. Elaborate, no.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh

Post by Josh »

For what it’s worth, a stone countertop will last a lot longer and basically never need replaced vs cheap Formica which will need to be overhauled in 20 years.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Some people feel that fine architecture brings glory to God...as mankind offers the very best of his resources, skill, effort, etc. Sort of like the woman using very expensive ointment on the feet of Jesus as an offering rather than selling it and giving the money to the poor, who are always present.
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:42 am For what it’s worth, a stone countertop will last a lot longer and basically never need replaced vs cheap Formica which will need to be overhauled in 20 years.
Our church was built in 2020 with Formica counters in the kitchen. We've already replaced a section that was ruined by water infiltration. 20 years would have been nice.

Maybe if the "Charity Church" would have been built with higher quality materials, such as ICF construction, marble bathrooms and stone countertops, it would still exist?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:32 am
Josh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:42 am For what it’s worth, a stone countertop will last a lot longer and basically never need replaced vs cheap Formica which will need to be overhauled in 20 years.
Our church was built in 2020 with Formica counters in the kitchen. We've already replaced a section that was ruined by water infiltration. 20 years would have been nice.

Maybe if the "Charity Church" would have been built with higher quality materials, such as ICF construction, marble bathrooms and stone countertops, it would still exist?
If the buildings were built as solid as the Reformed Mennonite meetinghouses…
0 x