Transitional Anabaptist churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Transitional Anabaptist churches

Post by Ken »

If it is as you describe and so many people are leaving more conservative churches to join "transitional" Anabaptist churches then the logical question to ask is: What is it that they are not getting from their original congregations, or what is it that they find missing in their original more conservative churches?

Is it just about the trappings of conservative Anabaptism like dress, head coverings, etc.? Or is it something more theological or spiritual?
2 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Ken wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:04 pm If it is as you describe and so many people are leaving more conservative churches to join "transitional" Anabaptist churches then the logical question to ask is: What is it that they are not getting from their original congregations, or what is it that they find missing in their original more conservative churches?

Is it just about the trappings of conservative Anabaptism like dress, head coverings, etc.? Or is it something more theological or spiritual?
i think this is a very valid question and needs to be addressed.
what is the reason people are moving from more conservative to transitional and then on to the next group?
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

That’s a very good question.

Most people who are Amish, ultra conservative group, Holdeman, etc. sort of group seem content to stay that way.

Transitional Anabaptism concerns itself with very small fraction of people who don’t want to stay that way, yet also seem to want to transition “slowly”. They want to retain most of being Amish or Eastern or whatever. Why people are like this is a very interesting question.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:04 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:14 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:39 pm
I've never heard of such a gathering. Have you?

I'm not aware of Pilgrimites (Intermediate) having youth rallies with Keystoners. (Moderate/Progressive)
I attended such a rally that had a rather unique preacher from Jamaica. He is somewhat famous in RNoC circles. At some point (when he was in the world) he owned some hotels, I can’t remember much else about him.
https://amandala.com.bz/news/renowned-e ... it-belize/
https://www.gospelpublishers.com/usa/pr ... -redeemed/
Oh yes, I know Ludlow. He had dual membership I believe with both a Beachy and RNoC church. He was happy to wear a straight cut suit the last I knew him.
A Life Redeemed is a worthwhile read.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:30 pmMost people who are Amish, ultra conservative group, Holdeman, etc. sort of group seem content to stay that way.
Most are content, but a sizeable percentage of Amish and Ultra's leave. For example, there are years whenever the Washington/Franklin conference has had little to know growth in membership, despite baptizing 50-60 people that year. In order to maintain numbers, you need to baptize as many as what die or leave the church.

The Eastern PA Menn. Churches are typically growing steadily in numbers, despite some people leaving for Northeastern, Pilgrim, Hope, etc. until a group of churches split off to form a new conference. It is very rare for a lone congregation to leave Eastern. (Which points to their ingrained conference mindset.)
In Nationwide Fellowship, individuals will leave and sometimes churches will leave, but rarely do groups of churches leave. (Which points to their congregational mindset.)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

justme wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:25 pmi think this is a very valid question and needs to be addressed.
what is the reason people are moving from more conservative to transitional and then on to the next group?
I think this trend is as old as the Christian church but particularly common since the Reformation. The Reformation (with its emphasis on scripture and not human traditions and each man answering directly to God) has set the stage for everyone to be his own priest. People simply leave and join a church that seems to look at life similarly to the way they themselves do. When they discover that the new church doesn't view life the way they do, or when they change their view of life, then it is time to find another church.
1 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Ernie wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:02 pm
justme wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:25 pmi think this is a very valid question and needs to be addressed.
I think this trend is as old as the Christian church but particularly common since the Reformation. The Reformation (with its emphasis on scripture and not human traditions and each man answering directly to God) has set the stage for everyone to be his own priest. People simply leave and join a church that seems to look at life similarly to the way they themselves do. When they discover that the new church doesn't view life the way they do, or when they change their view of life, then it is time to find another church.
On the bright side, the west at least has moved away from wars of religion where major Christian denominations were killing each other because of faith/politics. I think we would all view this as a positive development.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Ernie wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:48 pm
ohio jones wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:04 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:14 pm

I attended such a rally that had a rather unique preacher from Jamaica. He is somewhat famous in RNoC circles. At some point (when he was in the world) he owned some hotels, I can’t remember much else about him.
https://amandala.com.bz/news/renowned-e ... it-belize/
https://www.gospelpublishers.com/usa/pr ... -redeemed/
Oh yes, I know Ludlow. He had dual membership I believe with both a Beachy and RNoC church. He was happy to wear a straight cut suit the last I knew him.
A Life Redeemed is a worthwhile read.
I had a memorable time with Ludlow in 1988 when we lived in Belize and he visited our mission and preached at the local Mennonite church. He and I went to what was left of his former hotel site just down the road from Hattieville and I remember him praying over that plot of land, that it would never again be used for the devil's work. His testimony of conversion is worth reading.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Ernie wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:39 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:38 pm- A Pilgrim/Keystone youth rally would have a (plain) CMC/RNoC preacher as a guest speaker.
I've never heard of such a gathering. Have you?

I'm not aware of Pilgrimites (Intermediate) having youth rallies with Keystoners. (Moderate/Progressive)
Sold Out w R Rhodes brings out some ofboth. And also OOs.
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Is Eastern transitional?
Is the Pennsylvania old order car church (I think it's Weaverland) transitional?
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."